Kayama Captain Coast, Yuzawa - 14th February 2010

Today we were planning on going to Iwappara but because of the full car parks there - it actually looked quite busy - we decided to have a few hours at a small place behind Yuzawa Park called Kayama Captain Coast. OK I knew it was small and a bit rubbish but thought it might worth checking out just for the laughs.

The top 3 photos below basically show the resort - from the top and from the bottom. It's not very big. The course you can see on the right hand side of that first photo is not only flat but in parts I think you are actually going up!

Snow was spring-like, weather was spring-like. There were so few people there that the quad lift that takes you up to that main 'steep' run was almost our own for the 90 minutes we were there.

While the place was way too small and uninteresting for me, I can imagine the appeal for beginners or families with young kids learning. It is not busy at all and very flat in places. So some people might enjoy it.

The hirekatsu teishoku at Ninjintei on the way home was definitely a highlight of the day. smile

Anyway heres some photos taken with my point and shoot, just some snapshots this time.

muikabochi_2334.JPG

muikabochi_2335.JPG

muikabochi_2337.JPG

muikabochi_2329.jpg

muikabochi_2330.JPG

muikabochi_2331.JPG

muikabochi_2332.JPG

muikabochi_2333.JPG

That's Kandatsu in the foreground and Kagura in the background.

muikabochi_2336.JPG

muikabochi_2338.JPG

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too, I really love going to different places.

Have you tried Iwappara, Yuzawa Park, Yuzawa Nakazato, Kandatsu, Yuzawa Kogen, NASPA Ski Garden? While not all fab places in my opinion, they are all more interesting than Kayama.

been to all of those.

Trying to find places that are a bit off the beaten track, but kinda hard when all you have to go by is a JR pamphlet and prices. Could drive again but trying to find mates to go on a Monday is tough. And none of them drive so would be me doing round trips driving. not fun. at all.

OK how about Hakkai-san, Joetsu Kokusai, Muikamachi Ski Resort?

Okutadami Maruyama a bit further to the north?

Those places in Gunma were all fun too - Kawaba, White World, Marunuma, Tenjindaira.

Don't want you to go to Kayama and be disappointed. It really isn't a days skiing.... I'll shut up now!

hakkai-san is on the list, joetsu has also been done on a day trip but would prefer to go there either on a 2 day or 3 day trip. Muikabochi, sorry Freudian slip, muikamachi is also on the list too.

maybe should cancel zao and go to yuzawa instead. ARRRGHHH!!! :S

Put this little vid together for those that might be interested in seeing this place (Rob!)

Not exciting at all but this is it basically. The lift on the far right going through some trees is pretty. Er.. that it!

smile

• 9 months later...
Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Shocking news.
Looks like Kayama won't be open this season.

I think you'll find that the phrase is "not operating" wink .

In all seriousness, why is that? unprofitable? Actually wanted to go to that place.

I think he actually MADE the ski resort Jynxx. Well, not him personally but you know what I mean.

Funny on their website they have the message リニューアル・オープン (renewal open) as an explanation for them, er, closing this season?! I don't know if that infers that they are giving it a makeover.

My guess though is it loses tons of cash.

Just looked up on his official site.

Yeah, closed for this season, opening next year.

He had huge debts from the ski-joh, and his uncle´s finance f*** up

but apparently he paid up doing shows on the road. For 6 million yen fee per show, probably no big deal for him after all that drama.

He is Big. He can sing and he is a film star.