• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from Hakuba today and it was a great day. Yesterday was fun as well.....sure it wasnt powder but better than bullet proof ice which is what I learnt to ride on in N.Z. If I had read some of these posts saying how bad it was and then decided not to go because of some of these comments then I may have missed out on a good weekend.

I dont know the skill level of the people complaining about the hardpack snow but Im sure if they rode in these conditions more they would become better skiiers/boarders.

Was there today and yesterday.

I had fun but conditions were "below average", at the very best.

I wasn't there to learn skills and 'become a better skier' as if I am going to take some technical test. I was there to simply have fun.

For that purpose - fun - it was not really good.

I'll go back when there's lots of new fluffy stuff to play in. Ice and heavy spring conditions don't do it for me at all.

Sure thing K. Only, I grew up riding hard pack and have spent lots of time riding in pretty crappy conditions (Ont, Canada). That bullet proof stuff is exactly what we had for 3 days (no comment about today coz i already headed home!) Where were you exactly?

There are lots of reports from Hakuba. You don't have to rely on any one opinion. Some of the data out there is very detailed.

Nice and sunny today. I would have like to have gone, but my daughter got really stroppy getting her gear on. She is only four. I'd imagine most of the ice has already softened up a lot of the way though.

I was in Goryu yesterday and today. I rode Happo last Fri/Sat, Nozawa on Sunday then Goryu on Monday. Stayed away midweek when it was raining. All were fun days for different reasons wether it was because of the people I was with, the snow conditions or just trying something new.

Im pretty easy to please though......

• SnowJapan Admin

We have had a few people PM/email us about this thread telling us what to do about it which I'm not too happy about.

Don't make me consider closing this.

Please don't involve us in any personal arguments and the like.

Please also don't post links to your own or your friends website to 'prove' some kind of point.

Anything else that annoys me further in this thread will get deleted quickly.

Sorry.

Thanks.

i don't see why lodge owners would be getting in a tizz about this thread. the general consensus is that conditions last weekend were less than ideal. the only good thing that has been said is that it was at best passble.

i doubt anywhere in nagano or niigata has been good lately either.

sometimes conditions just suck. that's mother nature for you. anyone who skis understands that. trying to pretend that conditions were good doesn't make sense to me. if people come to skiing based on false info they'll just be doubly disappointed

Originally Posted By: -20.7
I didn't time my trip to Hakuba well - rain yesterday, icy today.
Bloody awful it was.

I was planning on being here until Monday but I think I'm going back home tomorrow, this is just not fun. I'd say we need 50cm or so to give good cover and make things decent and that totally looks like not happening in the next few.

:sad:

/rant

I have been here for two weeks having a great time. You must be very spoiled That is if you have been to Hakuba

Strange, I'm not here to offend, make enemies or start arguments. I don't think there are any personal arguments even going on in this tread. I planned this trip in December so it's not like some false report lured me up there or anything. If someone wants to shut down this thread because they don't agree with my point of view or opinion I'd like to suggest that they grow up a bit. Having fun on the hill is such a subjective thing... but what isn't are conditions. It rained all bloody day on Wednesday and Thursday and yet I was still reading reports (yes, more than one) that were trying to call it snow. I mean, I was standing at 1600m getting rained on. WTF?

@K, sounds like you are putting some pretty serious time in on the hill. How did this weekend compare to last weekend?

BTW, I completely agree with CB!

Not spoilt, no. Or maybe yes. Or maybe your standards just ain't that high.

Whatever, doesn't matter to me now. Have fun.
That's if you are even in Hakuba. ( wakaranai )

I,m here and two more weeks to go
Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
Nice and sunny today. I would have like to have gone, but my daughter got really stroppy getting her gear on. She is only four. I'd imagine most of the ice has already softened up a lot of the way though.

Only 4 you say. It only seems like 5 mins ago we were watching the log festivale It must be only an other year to the next one.
My comment was in response to you seemingly questioning if I had actually been there or not.

Originally Posted By: Weegeoff
That is if you have been to Hakuba

I still think you are spoiled
Try skiing the rocks in Scotland ( ok not this year}

Now I am going to the pub.

I still think you are spoiled( ok not this year}

Yes, him and a few of us on here may be spoiled by the amount of snow we get.

snow anywhere can vary from season to season. what you might think it awesome powder, someone else might think isn't. why can't people just respect each other's opinions and let things go?
I still think you are spoiled
Try skiing the rocks in Scotland

Yes but Scotland doesn't bill itself as the world's premier powder destination!

Other similar classics are "a lot better than Australia", "much better than last season", "it's a lovely sunny day" (clever distraction from the fact there's no new snow, again).

It's a lovely sunny day is a fine thing to hear - if indeed it is a fine lovely sunny day. It's hardly a distraction or misleading if it is true. And I for one am a big fan of such days. When the snow is decent of course. wink