Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
If they are Australian standard you can't use them here (regardless of where they were made) You have to buy ones that are Japanese standard (i.e. bought in Japan)

Absolutely correct.
However the reverse is not true, so by buying a set in Japan you can use them in Australia - which is what we did. It was just lucky for us CB n00bs that we had a man-child who could read the instructions for us wink

Don't be tempted to get away with it.
We saw guys stationed at the bottom of the lifts OFTEN with big receiver boxes trying to track people who were doing just that - they were not amused!
Apparently the signal from Aus standard CB's screws up the TV signal in Japan.

Damn!....

that is so not good news... grr..

wish i'd known about that before i went and bought them...

my missus isn't going to be happy either that i've just spent more unecessary mulah

oh well..

i'll save them for NZ razz

Originally Posted By: RobBright
Thought that they interfered with the staff's walkie/talkies?

Maybe they do that too...
There was a big official sign at the ticket office near the King Lifts/above Welcome centre car park where we got the Reapers season pass (Niseko) - and it stated that the reason is because it effects the TV reception. I think there was another reason on there as well - but I can't recall.

Cool cartoons too if I remember correctly lol

there are specific radio frequency allocations for each country, I can't really remember what Japan's frequency tables were but it's technically illegal to have any wireless device that operates outside allocated frequencies. Main reason is that it may interfere with various stations etc. It's possible to buy international UHF-CB radios but you have to make sure they're fine to use within Japan. Easiest option would be to just buy a set in Japan.

Every now and then, there are people using foreign radios operating outside the bandwidths but they're legally liable for any damage and interference caused. Potential damage/interference could be with patrol/rescue, radios, domestic wireless frequencies etc.