Resorts having trouble working out how to succeed...

• SnowJapan Admin

Well that's a nicer way to end the day ( friend ) after earlier being told that we 'suck' ( sadface )

Today we have actually made a few decisions about how we can improve on things - there a few areas that we really want to concentrate on this time.

We'll be starting on that lot in a week or two but will need a bit of time though - maybe about 6-7 months.

wink

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lifts often seem massively over-staffed. Like 8 people working a lift that could be run by 3 people.

Also, why so many lifts? Happo, for example, could work perfectly well with just 2 lifts (gondola and Sakka quad) but has 20+. Investing in big, fast, long gondolas would get the same number of people up the mountain just as quick with a lot less staff.

Happo with 2 lifts.

I would hate to see the queues for those 2 on a weekend!!

I don't know the names of the courses of Happo, but for example, with only that gondola and top lift, how would people get up the hill from the 'bottom left' area of the resort? confused

I am presuming there is some minimum no. of staff required for a ski lift. Anyone know about that?

There certainly is in Aus. (minimum number required to operate that is) - depends on the lift type as to how many.

At the end of last season at Thredbo I recall asking about some of the lifts that were closed, and wondering if they would open, as there was some nice snow not being ridden in those area's - and I was told that some of the lifties blew off their commitment to the end of the season as things were winding down, and just left - leaving them short staffed. Hence less lifts open.

Zao is one of them 'owned by diffeent people' places.

But the monsters etc will mean it is always popular to some degree.

Those Ropeaways going all year too.

Was it busy when you went BM?

Originally Posted By: SJForums
Well that's a nicer way to end the day ( friend ) after earlier being told that we 'suck' ( sadface )
wink

That was a quite bizarre episode. Don't think I could put up with it as politely as you did. Some people are just frikkin' idiotic.

Good luck with the new stuff, starting already!? thumbsup

It wasn't busy at all. Longest wait for any lift was about 4~5 mins on Sunday. It was an absolute ghost town on Monday and Tuesday. TBH, if it wasn't for the snow monsters bringing non-ski tourists I think the resort and town would be in a world of trouble.

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
Happo with 2 lifts.

I would hate to see the queues for those 2 on a weekend!!

I don't know the names of the courses of Happo, but for example, with only that gondola and top lift, how would people get up the hill from the 'bottom left' area of the resort? confused

I am presuming there is some minimum no. of staff required for a ski lift. Anyone know about that?

You could run a shuttle bus between the bottom left-hand side and the gondola. I also forgot the lift between gondola and the top. Of course the cabins on the gondola are too small to handle the crowds but if they put in a new one they could increase capacity and make it go all the way to the top. I wonder what the newest gongola in Japan is. The Prince Shiga Kogen ones looked very new.

I think in europe they run lifts with the bare minimum of staff. Maybe Jinxx could confirm.

Had to laugh at your Happo plan.

A shuttle bus?! To take people to the lift every time they come down the hill! That would be very popular, I'm sure!!

A new gondola? Yes that would be nice. I hear they are real cheap and Tokyu are really rolling in it.

I know you have real problems with the way Japan works, tripler, but I would guess that employment/safety regulations whatever would mean it is different from how things work in Europe making the comparison next to useless.

Originally Posted By: tripler
Lifts often seem massively over-staffed. Like 8 people working a lift that could be run by 3 people.

Also, why so many lifts? Happo, for example, could work perfectly well with just 2 lifts (gondola and Sakka quad) but has 20+. Investing in big, fast, long gondolas would get the same number of people up the mountain just as quick with a lot less staff.

that has to be the stupidest quote ever....
Actually Happo is slowly closing lifts that are not needed, there are few that have been taken down in recent years.
Originally Posted By: SKI
Had to laugh at your Happo plan.

A shuttle bus? That would be popular!!
[...]
I know you have real problems with the way Japan works, tripler, but I would guess that employment/safety regulations whatever would mean it is diffeeent from how things work in Europe.

Glad you found my plan amusing. Probably waiting 5 mins for a shuttle and catching the gondola, you'd still get to mid-mountain quicker than taking the 2 existing chair lifts.

I'm sure europe doesn't compromise on health & safety for the lifts. They are 1st world countries over there, you know.

I only found it amusing because of how ridiculous it was.

OK come on then Jynxx, tell us about how 'Europe' does it and then tripler can implement those plans here in Japan.

Easy, problems solved!

Good job Japan has you here tripler.

there are plans to put in a new gondola from the "left side" Nakiyama base area. I think planning permission has been approved....but and a big BUT, is that it all depends on skier numbers, financing etc.....

Numbers were up as a whole? I thought they were down, but by not much.

The place took a hit reputation wise because of the snow last season I reckon. And perhaps Niseko benefited from that to some degree.

Originally Posted By: stemik
there are plans to put in a new gondola from the "left side" Nakiyama base area. I think planning permission has been approved....but and a big BUT, is that it all depends on skier numbers, financing etc.....

Wow, that's interesting. Do you know if it would go all the way to the top? Nakiyama could do with a boost. Re-open the haunted hotel...
Originally Posted By: stemik
crap snow last season and figures were up.....much better snow this season and figures are down

confused
That looks like people are making their plans a year or at least a few months ahead of time. So...based on last year they decided to do something else ?

Would be quite difficult to actually find those answers, but certainly would be fascinating to see the results of some research that looked into the habits/decision making process of people visiting Hakuba (or ski resorts in general).

However if it does hold true, perhaps visitor numbers will be up next year regardless of snow conditions... worth a thought.
Originally Posted By: SKI
Numbers were up as a whole? I thought they were down, but by not much.

The place took a hit reputation wise because of the snow last season I reckon. And perhaps Niseko benefited from that to some degree.

actually Happo made money last season...first time for a while