Reserving Alpico Bus (for non-jp speaker)

I just booked the Shinjuku-Hakuba bus. On the Alpico website it said "Japanese recommended". Well, the number in Tokyo (03-5376-2222) is an automated system and impossible to handle for me. However, the Hakuba number (0261-72-8255) has a human on the other end - which could speak English well enough to get my reservation!

So if you plan to book the Alpico bus, call the Hakuba number. It doesn't matter where you start (I start in Tokyo).

• 2 weeks later...

A few more things about the bus:

I picked op my tickets in their Tokyo office - they accept cash only. If you need a receipt you need to ask for it! The bus tickets have a price on it, but you have to return the tickets when you leave the bus.

Even though my dates seemed non-busy (Sunday 17:00 > Happo and Tue 17:00 > Tokyo) the bus was full in both direction.

The Tokyo > Happo route had many non-ski locals which got off the bus well before Hakuba. Really book your ticket in advance!

It's a good service. I will take that bus next time again.

Originally Posted By: stemik
how was the leg room?

I would say in airline terms about business class. The bus is a normal 50 seater, but has less rows.

I am 1.90m and I found it roomy enough.

One more piece of info:

Journey Shinjuku-Happo is 4.5 hours. The bus makes 2 10 Minute rest stop on the highway. You have some shopping chances there.