Canadian Cage Fighter keeping the peace in Niseko...

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey MB Hmmmmm when do you draw the line on violence, what is accep and what is not,soon a decision by the very honourable will come to bear. We are hoping your son went home with a huge learning curve already formed from this, here. Hmmm ......................Did i not hear Niseko is not Kuta with snow very near here recently....................,its a nice place and you get those types everywhere , even in Whistler ?? dreadful i know, but those are the types we as a company have to represent quite often, and often more than you would believe they are always the innocent party.

Tell him also to remember.....Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog. very important.

and in Niseko they'd bang him up and throw away the key no questions asked, if certain would-be locals had their way.

But seriously, the other kid's mum probably thinks her son's an angel too. It's a mother's prerogative, isn't it?

That it is tripler.

But I do take a lot of care to be realistic and not a one eyed blinkered Mum (hate that!)....if it were the 2nd or the 4th I would be asking questions...but not this one. This kid has overcome great personal issues with allowing others to walk over him and be the victim, to stand tall. He is a complete peace lover, and a very sensitive soul.

Even so, I still don't like it. The physical altercation.

Hi Mamabear

Just a suggestion - don't discuss your son's incident on the internet.

It can't help him at all and can potentially be harmful. People have an uncanny knack of finding stuff on the web, and using it in a way that you might not have initially envisaged.

Keep this one as private as possible.

Hope it goes smoothly.

Originally Posted By: Chair5
Hi Mamabear

Just a suggestion - don't discuss your son's incident on the internet.
It can't help him at all and can potentially be harmful. People have an uncanny knack of finding stuff on the web, and using it in a way that you might not have initially envisaged.

Keep this one as private as possible.

Hope it goes smoothly.

Oh..I don't know....

This could be anyone, from any community, in any city, OF THE WORLD.
Originally Posted By: JA
Hmmm ... 3 posts and already an expert!

A while back.....

Originally Posted By: JA
Typical (OK 5 posts here, but many more elsewhere and I've seen your style before on other boards) response.

That ring any bells for you? Nice irony, really.

Two things I'd ask you to please consider.
a)Although we all know post count is directly proportional to the size of your anatomical assets,does it have anything to do with someone's ability to comment on such an incident?
b)Ever considered that maybe some people have been around longer than you think?

Chair5,

I haven't said anything I wouldn't say (and haven't said) to the school, in front of my child, or in face to face discussions. I/we have nothing to be cloak and dagger about. It is an open and frank discussion. However I appreciate your concern.

But I am interested to learn.

The task is to raise little boys into fine young men.

I don't want to raise a man that is bullyed and walked all over his entire life. But I also don't want to raise a man who is looking for a rumble. Finding that balance in teaching a child/teen what to do in a situation where trouble comes looking for him is my dilemma.

Unfortunately with boys/men violence can sometimes be the only answer. At the prison I worked at many years ago management tried very hard at first to change the typically violent culture within a prison. They did this by offering some of the best privaleges available in a max security prison if you were good. It seemed a great idea but it just didn't work. The prisoners who had been transferred from Pentridge prison which had just closed down were too used to violence as the only means to solve every issue including being disciplined. So within a couple of years the culture was right back to where it always has been. I worked in the high security unit where prisoners who stuffed up on the inside came for punishment, sometimes known as the slot or solitary. If they had been in an officer related incident (like punched an officer) then they would receive one hell of beating from us staff upon arrival. Funny thing was that although I have been involved in many beatings of prisoners I would never have to worry about meeting them on the outside (and I did meet many on the outside) because I never beat anyone just for the fun of it but as a punishment and in the weird world of prison life this was considered justified and normal.

Wow, that must have been interesting work, to say the least.

The violent discipline sounds very efficient, even if not particularly "pc".

So unless they come in without a culture of violence, which is unlikely, you don't think much else would work ?

Is it still the way things are run these days IYO ?

Originally Posted By: gurgle
The violent discipline sounds very efficient, even if not particularly "pc".

I think that GN's statement "At the prison I worked at many years ago ..." puts it well before PC was important.

Mind you, I have no way of knowing what things are like inside, and have no intention of finding out, if I can help it.

I can't imagine things have changed that much regardless of the pc police. Most of what happens on the inside stays on the inside. Most of the prisoners were acting in similar ways to how they act on the outside. For them violence is the normal and accepted method of dealing with most situations in their lives. Most certainly hadn't learned any other methods of dealing with conflict other than violence and didn't respect you unless you dealt with issues in a violent way. If you didn't they only perceived you as weak and someone to take advantage of. I was in a max security prison so we got some of the worst offenders out there. Still most of them actually appreciated the extra privaleges offered, especially being able to have more contact visits with family and friends and did their very best to stay out of trouble. Others saw their prison time as just another chance to increase their reputations within the criminal world and were incredibly violent towards other inmates and staff. Australia has a unit management approach in their prisons. This means that the best behaved prisoners all stay in one unit and then a progession down to all the worst behaved in another unit. This made it much easier for those who wanted to do their time without too many hassles. I spent most of my time in the unit dealing with the worst and most violent inmates. It had little to do with what they did on the outside it was how they acted on the inside. Generally I didn't care less what they had done on the outside, if they treated me ok then I treated them ok. We had a saying though, we would be friendly but never friends. They were never allowed to call me by my first name for instance.

With all the above said still in most situations that occurred we would do our best to resolve them without violence and talk people down. It didn't always work though...

Still my conflict resolution skills improved a fair bit razz

Was talking to a Niseko local the other day about an incident. He had told me an American working in Tokyo recently ducked a rope into Mizuno no sawa. Anyway a patroller caught the person. Some words were exchanged then the person who ducked the rope hit the patroller several times. The guy is now in jail.

Can anyone verify any of this

was this recently? I remember reading the avi reports that are posted each day on the hill and it mentioned that there had been some "unwanted incidents" in Mizuno no Sawa and they were calling on the locals to help enforce the rules