Canadian Cage Fighter keeping the peace in Niseko...

Originally Posted By: thursday
SerreChe, no rude responses at all. I guess those days have gone.... ah... the bliss.

I don't see the Hakubans being outraged at the hooliganism that is spreading, be it from Aus or anywhere else, so long as the dollars keep coming.

Shame on you for having a go at Mamabear lol

Not outraged as it is not a massive issue here. Thats why we are trying to educate the party tourist. Prevention better than cure. You will never eradicate problems anywhere however if we can reduce them then it is good for everyone.
  • Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prevention by education is the go.

If that doesn't work, educate them by making a few examples, like arrest and deportation. That will sober up most of them whether it's Niseko or Hakuba.

Consider it lucky you don't have any Yakuza involvement.

Originally Posted By: best skier in hakuba
Originally Posted By: TJ OZ
It is only just recently that the aussie contingent has found H(the place I'm not meant to mention) We get a lot of nationalities here and this problem spans them all.
I hate aggressive drunks.

Why are you not meant to mention?

Hey, also, I'm interested why you edited your original post - where you originally said "there was no problem in Hakuba"?

Oh the underworld politics. Cut it with a knife. Cold blunt one at that.

1)I was cut down earlier for trying to turn this into a H thread.
2)I didn't edit any post here and I don't believe there is a problem here.
3) The politics are someone elses problem. I don't get involved in any of it. Small town stuff. I laugh all the time about it.

I am telling you that without any doubt at all you edited the post, because I copied what you wrote.

So you are deciding to continue the lie?

If you consider yourself lying about stuff like this in public just to get out of something to not be a problem, then fine I suppose.

Just to let other people reading this know...

Like I said, relax.

Thank you for copying my post

As I said, I am not sure why I would edit it and I don't understand the relevance of you question.

If I edit anything it would be for grammar.

If I said "there was no problem in Hakuba" then I agree 100% with that statement so I am not sure why I would edit it.

Have you been drinking tonight?

Originally Posted By: Jynxx

In Japan. You are White and you are going to stick out like I did. But..
You don't speak Japanese - strike one
You are not married to a Japanese - strike two
Don't have permanent residency and lived there for under 10 years?

So only if we speak the language, are married to a Japanese and at least have permanent residency can we be considered a local. Thanks for clearing that up Jynxx rolleyes

At least, that will be quite reasonable status, don't you say?

Naturally, some will think that a alien staying temporary trying to preach what's best for Japan. Quite frankly, it reminds me of some christian missionary tact.

Fair is fair, but still some people don't get something they deserve and others demand something they don't. You won't survive out of the english speaking community.

Originally Posted By: Go Native

In Japan. You are White and you are going to stick out like I did. But..
You don't speak Japanese - strike one
You are not married to a Japanese - strike two
Don't have permanent residency and lived there for under 10 years?

So only if we speak the language, are married to a Japanese and at least have permanent residency can we be considered a local. Thanks for clearing that up Jynxx rolleyes

Check.....check....and....check. Hey, I AM a local.

Look,, Let's put this to rest..."local" is a meaningless F#$king term. We pay out taxes, our kids go to school, we help out at the annual town festival.... We are members of the community.

Absolutely!

Jynxx, I am sad to hear that you did not feel accepted as a local. Around my parts you would be. There are all sorts of variations in genetics around here - a true rainbow of all nations and every combination in between! A whole plethora of accents too.

But they are all locals.

Even if they are only local for a 12 month oil and gas contract.

local? who cares?

As long as you try and integrate yourself into the community then yes you can be called a local.

In my area, people know me by name and face because I help out and they consider me a local. That's what makes me a local. They don't owe me anything but I owe them so much more.

At least, that will be quite reasonable status, don't you say?
Naturally, some will think that a alien staying temporary trying to preach what's best for Japan. Quite frankly, it reminds me of some christian missionary tact.

Fair is fair, but still some people don't get something they deserve and others demand something they don't. You won't survive out of the english speaking community.

Well don't know what you're talking about as usual. Personally I'm not here temporarily, I'm here for good. I've bought a house, renovated it and made it into my home. My wife and I had our first child in Sapporo and she will go to school here. I also own a business in Hakkodate and have employed more the 4 Japanese people. My wife and I have been very involved in Kendo and Iaido and have good contacts in the local community through this. We are also involved in the local conservation group and participate in numerous events such as tree planting. Our language skills, although not yet fluent are not that bad. We certainly get by with our daily lives. The biggest issue you seem to have Jynxx is a non Japanese commenting on Japan. After more than 5 years living here I don't believe it's out of the question that I can make some informed opinions about the place I live.

Having lived in Australia Jynxx I would have thought you'd understand multiculturalism a little better. For instance I spent many years living in Footscray, a suburb just 10mins west of Melbourbe CBD. There was a large Vietnamese community there. About 90% of the businesses along the main street were Vietnamese and many of these businesses had owners and staff who could not speak english. Many of their customers could also not speak english. If they needed english translation they'd often bring their kids along to help out. They had a whole community set up in which the need to use english was not a neccessity. Personally I loved it, it was like having a little bit of Vietnam only minutes from the centre of Melbourne. These people were defintiely 'locals' of Footscray.

A similar thing, on a smaller scale, has happened in Niseko. We have a whole community of english speakers from many countries. It is a vibrant and thriving community of around 150 people who have been here for quite some time and who will be here for long time to come. We come together socially throughout the year but especially once the hordes of winter tourists have left. We play golf, cycle, go camping, BBQ's, have cards, darts and trivia nights, etc, etc. Frankly I feel more part of a community here than I ever did in Australia. This is my home and and if I'm not a local then I just don't understand the meaning of the word.

I think it is difficult in certain places to ever be treated like a local and therefore feel like a local if you are in a racial minority. Aussie surfers are GENERALLY speaking, pretty narrow minded and quite racist. So I am not surprised at all that Jynxx never felt remotely like a local as he said, "living in a 100% White area". If he was white and had an aussie accent, which he does, it would have been a different story I suspect.

Perhaps it also depends a little on the individual. My next door neighbour in Singapore is a born and bred white Singaporean. I am sure she is rarely treated like a local by the "locals", but I bet she feels like one.

Anyway, there are plenty of "citizens of the planet" on these forums. Hopefully this whole "local / non-local" thing becomes less relevant over time. I hope it does, anyway.