Canadian Cage Fighter keeping the peace in Niseko...

That was totally not my point JA. Perhaps I did not phrase it well.

My point was that we did not go to Japan to go to bars that tons of other Brits/Aussies/gaijin go to. I can do that any day of the week here in London.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Niseko and Hakuba, just like any other city where large crowds of gaijin gather to ski, arent the problem. Its all based on the crowd at the time and the issues, if any, that they had. I think having a person who can speak English and deal with drunk gaijin is important, and if it takes a gaijin to do it, then great. It seems a much more efficient way to deal with drunks. Its pathetic that they have to be dealt with, but there are just lots of pathetic people arent there? Hakuba seems to be following in some footprints of its older, more famous brother up north, and it wouldnt surprise me if at some point a similar position was made. I sincerely doubt the issues at these 2 major ski resorts are any different than you would find in bar districts in any major city.

Originally Posted By: thursday
Bars in major cities have numerous bouncers per establishment. If they want to keep their license, they must control their crowd, otherwise bye bye bar cash cow.

They should have pretty little signs telling clientele to not be naughty.
Not only would that solve the problems, but it would save them cash on the bouncers. wink

You should suggest it perhaps thursday.
Originally Posted By: JA
Originally Posted By: gurgle
The problem with young men in Aust is the fighting and violence that goes with it. I think as long as the "getting pisssed" thing is accepted, you are going to have the angry young men getting out of order.

Not sure that the violence and fighting always happens. With 61 years experience, I - like MB - can count the number of times I've been truly "pissed" on the fingers of one hand. Yes, I know there are some for whom it is a nightly occurrence, but that is not the most usual.

From where I sit, the biggest problem is the youngsters who've never bee exposed to responsible drinking in the family home, and whose expectation is that you drink to get blotto and to forget the world. When that happens, they also lose control and see everyone as an enemy. Leads to major problems no matter where it happens.

I'm not sure that it is as simple as "an Australian thing" or whether this sort of thing happens elsewhere (although I suspect it happens in England - think football hooligans - and in other places as well).

Perhaps we have a different definition of "pissed". Without witnessing a single one of these fighting incidents in Japan, I would define them all as being caused by "pissed" idiots. I certainly doubt that anyone involved was sober. If the amount of alcohol they are having is causing them to get in a fight, then it is too much. I reckon often the amounts are only what would be considered "responsible drinking" too (a eumphemism for getting drunk and keeping quite IMO). The fact is, some people cannot be responslible with much grog at all.

It is not a purely Ausatralian thing, but that does not make it OK. There are a lot of subcultures of different countries where getting drunk and fighting happens often. Football hooligans is an obvious one, but I am sure there are plenty more. It is certainly not the case in Japan, only the binge drinking part of the evening.
Perhaps we have a different definition of "pissed". Without witnessing a single one of these fighting incidents in Japan, I would define them all as being caused by "pissed" idiots. I certainly doubt that anyone involved was sober. If the amount of alcohol they are having is causing them to get in a fight, then it is too much. I reckon often the amounts are only what would be considered "responsible drinking" too (a eumphemism for getting drunk and keeping quite IMO). The fact is, some people cannot be responslible with much grog at all.

It is not a purely Ausatralian thing, but that does not make it OK. There are a lot of subcultures of different countries where getting drunk and fighting happens often. Football hooligans is an obvious one, but I am sure there are plenty more. It is certainly not the case in Japan, only the binge drinking part of the evening.

Not quite sure what you're saying here. Tonight, I am somewhat affected by alcohol (as most evenings, as it happens, by this time.) I have had a beer after work, a glass of wine with dinner, and an after dinner drink. I do not believe I'm "pissed" by any stretch of the imagination.

To me, pissed is when you lose control of your body (and consequently your brain).

Well with that definition of pissed I have been all but 3 times in my life.

1) When I was 17 and my drinks were progressively more and more scotch - thanks boys!

2) At 33 - my first drink after stopping breastfeeding the youngest, drinking homemade italian grappa at a friends wedding reception and

3) In Niseko this past January.

I am going to hell wink

the out of control drunkard is hardly the personal tenet of Australia, it happens in every country where there are bars and young people drinking to excess. Albeit in Japan it is rarer than in western countries, and the only reason australia has been fingered here is that Australian's make up a huge percentage of foreigners on the slopes of Japan, particularly in and around Niseko. A sad state of affairs indeed but hardly surprising, you need only got to other holiday hotspots around the world, Spain (UK idiots), Mexico (US Idiots), Florida (US idiots), Bali (Aussie Idiots) Greece (UK & German idiots), Barcelona (Spanish Idiots). where young people go on holiday to let their hair down and cosume alcohol, unfortunately there will be some trouble. Pretty good idea to have a Gaij Liasion dude walking round....just hope D-train has a few other mates around him! smile

I also think the slant on MB's parenting is uncalled for, her "kids" AFAIK, are hardly kids anymore. She was on holiday is entitled to relax and let her hair down. My parents would always drink while we were on holiday, sometimes they got a little tipsy but never to such an extent where ours or their saftey was compromised. It didn't do me any harm, or any of my mates whose parents were the same.

Mamabear, from what you wrote I can say that I was indeed wrong about assuming one incident reflecting your entire way of life, and I can say I am very glad I was wrong. You are always measured and friendly in your comments as well which is quite refreshing as well. I hope your health problems turn out ok and wish you the best and an endless supply of happy family times.

As for the 4-letter word replies, they were expected, anything else would have been surprising. Wow, some people have opinions that differ from you, how intolerable!

Didn't have much choice there did you SerreChe, hey.

Quote:
As for the 4-letter word replies, they were expected, anything else would have been surprising.

Out of interest, where exactly were they?

Re-reading the thread, I can see a grand total of.......... none!

To say that the response has been as such is frankly ludicrous.

Originally Posted By: SerreChe
Mamabear, from what you wrote I can say that I was indeed wrong about assuming one incident reflecting your entire way of life, and I can say I am very glad I was wrong. You are always measured and friendly in your comments as well which is quite refreshing as well. I hope your health problems turn out ok and wish you the best and an endless supply of happy family times.

As for the 4-letter word replies, they were expected, anything else would have been surprising. Wow, some people have opinions that differ from you, how intolerable!

Wow what a load of BS!
I don't think anyone has attacked you personally. Please show who has.
Instead of acting as though your the poor guy whose opinions aren't tolerated (boo bloody hoo for you) how about actually responding to some of the questions that were put back at you.

Like why do you think it's a joke for some us to consider ourselves locals?
Why do you assume that the issues are being understated?
When was the last time you actually came to Niseko and saw for yourself what it is really like?

Back on the topic of drinking/bar brawls and poor behavior.... biggrin

There is definitely a personality component to problem drinking.

Some people can enjoy a night out drinking and are happy and innocuous drunks - you will rarely get a problem with those people.

It is the aggressive drunks that the problems occur with. By 20 most people know if they get nasty on the drink. What I don't understand is why people who know they get nasty on drink keep doing it? I know people who are my age and older who are like that, and they just repeat the behavior over and over. Always coming around to apologize the day after ----> why not just know their personal limits and stop at a couple?

Originally Posted By: SerreChe

rollabout

I hearby award you the sought after "Most Utterly Pretentious Post of the Month" Award!
Well done! Won by a mile.
clap

Sorry, the thread was completely lacking the kind of response that SerreChe apparently wanted to respond to with his contempt, so I thought I'd feed his need to be outraged.

But seriously, Mamabear.

Good to hear good news.

Keep on being a good Mamabear.

smile

Binge drinking? Huge problem here. Even bigger if you read the Daily Mail. I like a drink and I'm not an oldie, but sometimes I feel it is getting out of hand.

I would imagine Niseko is a better place than Ibiza on a Saturday night in peak season! God knows that the underlying problem is, I suspect it is very complex.

I don't know if it is me getting older but I am sure that there is more aggression now than when I was say at college. Got drunk? Oh yes, lots. Got aggressive? Not really.

Good news MB!
The problem with young men in Aust is the fighting and violence that goes with it. I think as long as the "getting pisssed" thing is accepted, you are going to have the angry young men getting out of order. (We) Australians have too much freedom and not enough discipline for it to stop. I don't know what the answer is, but I think it is educating people to not drink too much and this would have to happen from a young age and it's going to take a long time. I think things are already (marginally) better than when I was 18.

Exactly. Not only in oz but it is certainly moving in the wrong direction there at the moment.
It is only just recently that the aussie contingent has found H(the place I'm not meant to mention) We get a lot of nationalities here and this problem spans them all.
I hate aggressive drunks.
It is an interesting discussion and I would really like to hear some ideas to combat the issue. It is not really a problem here and I would like to keep it that way.
I am also interested to know if D-Train wears a uniform and who actually employs him.

Enough have been said, but I will add my 2 cents on the concept of "being Local" because it does get to a point of "being obnoxious"

First, you can sing and dance as much as you like but one cannot claim the title because it is what others think of you as a local, not you, and who are those others?

Example:

Got a mate, full Aussie, his dad a publican but wanted to be a surfboard shaper, successful and lived in Parm Beach, Notheren Beaches for 11 years... tells me he still was not considered local

Me, speak native university grad level English with slight Aussie accent, naturalized, married to an blond aussie girl, and still wasn't considered local when I had real estate and such and lived there in that area for 15 years. I my case, understandably I am Asian living in a close to 100% White area.

Doesn't matter if you are from the UK, 70% of the whites come from there in Australia. If you are from a different race, different story. But then again, my example points out it depends on the area you move into.

In Japan. You are White and you are going to stick out like I did. But..

You don't speak Japanese - strike one

You are not married to a Japanese - strike two

Don't have permanent residency and lived there for under 10 years?

mmmm... you can go to uni for 5 years at one place and claim you are local?

Again, some suburbs have transient population, some move in and save up, move upmarket, where owning a house gives claim to being local. So depends where you live in any country and who's living there in your 'hood.

I'm not pointing this out to just one person here, but to a predominantly White forum here.

Never called myself a local here and have never really thought about it. When people ask where I live I tell them Hakuba. So you're a local? I suppose yes however my friends family has been here for 500years.I know there is localism in surf towns but I mixed with the locals at one particular area so maybe considered one within the group. Never really brought up. Don't particularly care about the term actually. Saw a sign down the coast in miyazaki "rocals only"

Resident of Earth

TZ OZ, I hear you.

Don't dig this issue about "being local" myself.

Can we all be Citizens Of The World?

I practically gave up surfing after a few punch ups in the surf.

Don't wanna fight for waves when all I want to do is chill.

I marketed, acted as an agent and exported to Japan, took photos for ads for a Aloha surfboards. Brought Barton and Damian to Japan.. still, I had troubles in the surf.

SerreChe, no rude responses at all. I guess those days have gone.... ah... the bliss.

I don't see the Hakubans being outraged at the hooliganism that is spreading, be it from Aus or anywhere else, so long as the dollars keep coming.

Shame on you for having a go at Mamabear lol

Originally Posted By: TJ OZ
It is only just recently that the aussie contingent has found H(the place I'm not meant to mention) We get a lot of nationalities here and this problem spans them all.
I hate aggressive drunks.

Why are you not meant to mention?

Hey, also, I'm interested why you edited your original post - where you originally said "there was no problem in Hakuba"?

Oh the underworld politics. Cut it with a knife. Cold blunt one at that.