Canadian Cage Fighter keeping the peace in Niseko...

After years of saying the ugly Aussie in Niseko is a beat-up (5 yrs and never a sign of trouble), last week I actually saw the after effects of an ugly Auggie get beaten up in Niseko. Lots of blood, one bloke with his arm in a sling and holding bandage to his face, a police car, gaijin police liasion in attendance - the whole box and dice...and hardly anyone turned their head, most stayed in the (rather smelly) beer tent drinking. I was told by a guy probably in the know that some girl glassed the bloke. Oi Oi Oi, indeed.......

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dtrain, I find that sort of behaviour from these brain-dead morons absolutely attrocious, and I feel sorry that you have to deal with it.

If I were in charge, you would carry a very large and powerful taser, and wouldnt really have justify its use

We should just start hauling them off to police lockup. The police here can hold you in a cell without charging you for up around 20 days anyway. Just hold them until their holiday is over and then send em off home. If this actually started happening I'm sure less would act this way. Time to stamp this crap out Diggs.

I fully support that decision. I realize that the drunken idiots out there are a minority... but they are a very vocal and visible minority. I won't even oppose having them stay the entire 23 days in jail regardless of when their flight home was. If they miss their flight they can make other arrangements. It would be a damn shame for a place like Niseko, with so much potential, to become a shit hole because of disrespectful drunks.

I agree BM and GN. I haven't been to Niseko so my opinion is rather irrelevant, but in all comparableness if there were to be such an outcry of idiocy in, say, Park City, I would definitely want the police to tighten the chain a little bit.

I also have to agree I have travelled to Niseko a number of times with the family and believe one of the best aspects of the resort are the local people. If the actions of a few spoil this then it needs to be stopped. When travelling I teach my kids that you have to respect the local culture and behaviours. Unfortunately these few morons think that they are untouchable and they have no respect for other people or cultures. If they get locked up or deported it will only make it better in the future.

It's not about respecting culture. The Japanese like a good piss up as much as anyone. It's just about not acting like a complete idiot. The actions of some would be found to be unacceptable in any culture on the planet. Nothing that special about Japanese culture that makes idotic behaviour less acceptable.

Your point about being untouchable though is very valid. Currently there are few consequences for these guys. There needs to be consequences and harsh ones to curb their behaviour.

All very well saying "chuck people in jail, that'll solve the problem" but what if an innocent guy trying to break up the fight gets picked up by police. You want him to spend 3 week in a cell unable to explain himself? Or the guy who got glassed. If someone glassed YOU would you like to be automatically locked up without a trial?

now that hakuba is also getting a lot more popular with travelling australians, do they have many of the same issues there?

i've heard a story or two about an aussie stealing a car in hakuba late at night. drunk, crashed it and passed out. 21 days in the slammer. well deserved i think

Let's not forget it is a resort and many people are here to party. People will get drunk. And normal good hearted drunkeness is not a problem and the Japanese love getting drunk like the rest of us. The issue is when it turns to violence, vandalism and crime (like stealing a car). These people need to be dealt with harshly in my opinion. Word needs to get out that behaviour like that comes with harsh penalties that can completely ruin a holiday. That should at least make people think twice.

Tripler I think Niseko is positioning itself much more as a family destination these days and that's where the big $$ is coming from. We don't need drunken louts to make a profit.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
Or you could just send in an army of Mormons to keep the peace Mitch! razz

Please, take them all out of UT. Watch out "keeping the peace" means forcing their religion on you.
Originally Posted By: tripler
Don't know what business you're in but if you were running a bar which makes most of its profit from big-drinking Ozzies, I doubt you'd be singing that tune.

I'm obviously not in the bar business wink
Well at least not in Niseko. I do own a bar down in Hakkodate but we don't have a problem with Aussies down that way.
Originally Posted By: thursday
yeah, families don't go out drinking 'til 3 in the morning. 'cept the families from Perth.

ashamed

I got home to discover a new facebook friend and a photo of me BLIND drunk at Wild Bills, uploaded and tagged as such. Yes....keep those respectable middle aged family people out of Niseko! They should be ashamed!

lol

yeah... like that is going to happen! rollabout

I didn't even know the picture existed - one of the 'blank' spots in my memory from that night.

Lucky I am a happy drunk and instead of glassing people I just told them all how much I loved them and how fantastic everyone is, over and over again.

It's the agro drunks you need to get rid of - the ones that want to fight everyone as soon as they down the 5th beer. Not good.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
I just told them all how much I loved them and how fantastic everyone is, over and over again.

It's the agro drunks you need to get rid of

The over-talkative ones can be quite annoying too... Lucky you didn't get glassed yourself. And if you did and Native had his way you would have been locked up for 21 days without being able to see your kids or a lawyer because you'd obviously been fighting and such behaviour must be stamped on hard without any regard to people's guilt or innocence.
All very well saying "chuck people in jail, that'll solve the problem" but what if an innocent guy trying to break up the fight gets picked up by police. You want him to spend 3 week in a cell unable to explain himself? Or the guy who got glassed. If someone glassed YOU would you like to be automatically locked up without a trial?

Chucking criminals in jail usually does solve crime problems. I've talked to more than my fair share of people travelling in Japan that love the fact they can walk all over the locals.

The context is very simple... you are in Japan and suject to the rules here (whether you agree with them or not). I'm by no means a fan of the legal system here... and am quite opposed to the arbitrariness of being held without legal counsel... but I can't expect the rules from my home country to follow me here so I tread lightly. If we think about what is happening with late night drunken violence or public destruction in Niseko it's pretty clear cut and not much room for the police to be abusing power in those situations.

People love their drink in Japan... no amount of policing is going to change that. But there should be no leniency when it comes to violence. How would stopping people from beating each other up stop bars from selling booze anyway? That just doesn't make any sense
The over-talkative ones can be quite annoying too... Lucky you didn't get glassed yourself. And if you did and Native had his way you would have been locked up for 21 days without being able to see your kids or a lawyer because you'd obviously been fighting and such behaviour must be stamped on hard without any regard to people's guilt or innocence.

Mate, that's pretty much the stupidest thing I've seen written in these forums. Being the victim of a crime would land you jail? Give me a break.
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
I just told them all how much I loved them and how fantastic everyone is, over and over again.

It's the agro drunks you need to get rid of

You're getting just a little carried away with this tripler. I'm sure the police here are more than capable of talking to witnesses and those accused and finding out who is at fault and who is an innocent who gets caught up in an incident.
It isn't like this stuff happens every night and there's 100's of people involved.