Canadian Cage Fighter keeping the peace in Niseko...

OK, just stumbled across this story on a Sydney surf mag website (Stab Magazine). They like to push buttons, but they also have articles that are usually worth reading, whether you agree with them or not.

Their web editor just returned from a holiday in Niseko and penned this piece:

http://www.stabmag.com/jed/invasion-day-in-japan/

some highlights:

"So bad have the drunken antics of Australians become in a quaint Japanese skiing village, local authorities have appointed a Canadian cage fighter to keep the peace...

a night of debauchery perpetrated by travelling Australians in this tiny village (pop. 4667). Over the last twelve hours, two brawls erupted, (one in which a man was felled, then kicked in the head by a Gold Coast woman. An Australian had to be removed from the kitchen of a Japanese family (where he was found making a sandwich) and another badly split his head after a drunken fall. Four major blood loss injuries were suffered by Australians during the night....

I could never imagine [Canadians] behaving like this in another country. For Australians and Australia day, it’s all about getting smashed and drinking as much beer as you can"

err, are things really this rowdy up there? i'm kinda embarrassed to be aussie

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's a piece of ahem... I'm sure nothing like that happened this A-Day 2010. It's just a recollection of everything that has happened over the years, just to make a story.

It is no way like that. 'cept I had a bunch of white drunk topless dickheads run towards me screaming as I made my way up the hill with my souvineers.

Might Derek be D-Train? Dunno, most probably.

Wow.

The article is fairly accurate -though probably a bit too revealing- Paul and I got to shooting the shit with the guy as we sat at work having just dealt with some dickheads stealing boards so were in a fairly agitated mood.

Sadly , all that is talked about in the first part of that article happened a-day 2010. I saw a guy bleed as much as I had ever seen in my life , and then two hours later, I saw a guy bleed more.

Tonight so far I have had to deal with 1) drunk guy caning himself between Splash and Barumba because he couldnt stand up 2) drunk guy jumping on the Niseko real estate cars and 3) drunk guy wandering around the streets in a t-shirt chasing after J-girls with rapidly purpling skin.

All three told me, in no uncertain terms, to perform impossible sex acts with myself .

About to go out and do another patrol. maybe i@ll post back how a typical one goes, if I remember.

literally wrote that, walked out the door, and had three Aussie dudes chucking snowballs at cars and pushing them as they left seicomart.

told them time to settle down and got a finger in the face and " get f@cked you ****" within the first ten seconds of talking with them.

We got some awesome, classy folks visiting town this week, I tell ya.

Originally Posted By: D train
literally wrote that, walked out the door, and had three Aussie dudes chucking snowballs at cars and pushing them as they left seicomart.

told them time to settle down and got a finger in the face and " get f@cked you ****" within the first ten seconds of talking with them.

See I can understand maybe a little snowballfight here and there but when a local would tell me to quiet down I would listen.

I wonder are Americans out there better than Aussies in general? wakaranai

geez.. sometimes australians overseas are loveable larrikins. other times they're just animals.

i'm sure not all of niseko is as bad as the article portrays, but that fact that these elements are there is kinda sad.

development is good for the village, but the people is attracts ain't

Originally Posted By: MitchPee
Originally Posted By: D train

See I can understand maybe a little snowballfight here and there but when a local would tell me to quiet down I would listen.

I wonder are Americans out there better than Aussies in general? wakaranai

I can't speak for the Ausssies but I will say that many of us Yanks are trying our best to fly under the radar these days. It's not uncommon to tell people we're from Canada when we travel abroad. Don't want to perpetuate the stereotype. smile

I've only met one other American here so far, and we both seemed to be pretty chill biggrin

I haven't seen anything to rowdy/crazy. But then again I really haven't been going out drinking at night.

Originally Posted By: SantaCruz
I've only met one other American here so far, and we both seemed to be pretty chill biggrin

I haven't seen anything to rowdy/crazy. But then again I really haven't been going out drinking at night.

Look out guys, real troublemaker here rolleyes

The gentle giant you should be called James haha.

Must be the English genes! Anyway, go for it D-train. Fight the good fight!

There's no way that somewhere with 4,600 people is a "village", let alone a "tiny" one. Where I come from that's ten houses and a pub-cum-post office.

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
Must be the English genes! Anyway, go for it D-train. Fight the good fight!

There's no way that somewhere with 4,600 people is a "village", let alone a "tiny" one. Where I come from that's ten houses and a pub-cum-post office.

that's a hamlet

The incidents are usually isolated and generally reasonably late in the evening. It's not like you'll constantly be assaulted by idiots every time you head out. For most people heading out for dinner and a couple of drinks you'll rarely see any of the bad behaviour described above. It's also certainly not just Aussies acting out but currently they do make up a fair portion of the foreigners in town.

I'd certainly like to see the police really crack down on the idiots though. Start locking a few up for the remainder of their holiday and we might see people think twice about their actions.

The 4600 pop is for Niseko Town and probably includes Annupuri. It's not the permanent pop of Hirafu. Hirafu is part of Kutchan cho which has around 16,000 people and Hirafu itself has a pop around 1,500 I think.

As an Aussie I find this sort of behaviour adhorent and dissapointing. Sadly its nothing new to me having been to Bali approx 12 times. I would actually consider riding in Niseko but after hearing this sort of thing would hate to be tared with the same brush.

Pete,

You'll only be "tarred with the same brush" if you act like a d!ckhead. Most of the locals will be pleasant and helpful until you show then=m that you aren't worth the effort.

The fact is that there ins't a huge number of yobbos, just they make a god-awful amount of noise, drawing attention to themselves.

An idiot is an idiot! No matter what nationality.