Nekobi and I were at Happo yesterday with some free tix and at the park were waiting to go off one of the kickers when a group of about 4 gaijin blokes came down. We looked at them, they looked at us and I (and them probably) were thinking "should I talk to them?"

But it is a weird situation in Japan. Because there are so few foreigners around, when you do see someone you kind of get the urge to give the nod or say hi somethimes (ok I live really rural). But at the resort why should you talk to them? I probably wouldnt talk to every white face back home so should I here? Why does one feel like one should?

Just wondering what you all think

depends on ya mood. i believe the nod is in order, but no further obligation. but if ya feeling chatty most foreign fellows will be up for a passing "hows ya diddlin?"

and contrary to db's claims, unless u r wearing your miss watermelon ribbon or coronet, u aint gotta speaks to noone. a condescending smile of acknowledgement will do for the plebeian masses.

tough call, I have always thought like Db that i wouldn't say hi to everyone at home so why should i here!

Usually if i make eye contact i will give a nod, or g'day, whassup etc ..

here in Nagoya most "gaijin" when approaching on the street try to avoid eye contact at all costs... I love just staring them out!

I like to say hello, but some people just look like you'd ruin their Japanese day if you did that. It seems that the foreigners who are receptive to being spoken to are far fewer than those who start inspecting the ground very intently.

I met an English bloke from Osaka at Nozawa who was looking to chat, and we exchanged a heap of autobiographical info in the space of one lift ride. That's more fun than pretending somebody isn't there.

A bit off the topic (sort of), but do you speak English or Japanese when you initially speak to a strange westerner? Bit of a catch 22 situation, you either sound like the biggest tosser if you speak Japanese, but its a bit rude to assume that just because a person is a westerner, they must speak English (even if it is a fairly safe assumption).

kind of off topic of the off topic thing but...

I have noticed this alot, especially around roppongi (and this is not meant to generalize)...I see groups of people from India that will talk with each other in japanese...then switch to their native language, and back and forth...it is wierd...

danz

Over here i dont' say "G'Day" to everyone i see but in Japan most of the gaijin's i saw i said g'day to or nodded at or something like that. Except if i wasn't in the best of moods. Don't know if that happened though. Most of the gaijin's were very friendly. I even bumped into a guy on one of the chairlifts who used to live in the same street as i do now!!! Freaky! It's a small small world!

I find that striking up a conversation about cheese often does it. Sure to break the ice, so to speak, and for you to make new friends. Even better if you have some cheese snacks at the ready to share with your new friends!

Im a bit of an idiot I will try striking up a conversation most times on the mountain. In my own city I wont talk to strangers. Ive met some cool people on the mountain that are now my friends. But you dont have to thats for sure.

Good topic zwelgy - I have thought about this on several occasions.

When on the mountain if I have the opportunity I will usually say hello. Chances are they know someone I know anyway, right? If they are just passing thru they are usually more likely to want to chat. Back at home I made it a point to at least say hello to everyone I got on a chair lift with. I have met tons of cool people that I am still friends with today because of that (along with many conversations that haven't gone past "some snow eh?").

Out of the few times I have actually gotten on a chair with a lone Japanese rider I have made friends with 3 people. Friends enough to ride with them for the day and maybe say hello or see them again another day. I always strike up my conversations in english though as my Japanese may be good enough to say hello, but isn't good enough to be sure I catch the reply. This happened one time when the guy I said ii otenki desu ne to assumed I was fluent and went on and on, leaving me to just grin and hmm and ha and hope what he had just said wasn't a question.

In the city I am much less likely to say hello to someone unless they look like someone I would be likely to say hello to at home. I am sure I could be friendlier, but it seems corny to just talk to someone because you think they speak the same language. However if I was sitting at a bar and the person next to me looked friendly I might try to strike up a conversation.