How accurate are the JMA seasonal forecast..?

The seasonal forecast for Hokkaido showed that there are 50% probability that the average temp will be below normal (cold) & 50% probability that the snowfall will above normal (heavy snowfall). How accurate are these forecasts..?? confused

not sure about accuracy, but all I know is that the latest forecast for February (released on Friday, Jan 29) is indeed looking good for all areas from Hokkaido all the way to Gifu in Honshu.. High probability for below average temps and above average snowfall..

If this forecast holds true this will easily be the best season Japan as a whole has had in 4-5 seasons, me thinks..

On a serious not, however, and in relation to the OP 's question, accuracy of predictions is difficult. When they say 50% possibility of above average whatever ... they mean that there is an equal chance of it being above and below average. At that sort of level, they are really saying that they have no idea!

The current run of the forecast for 30 Jan to 28 Feb has the probabilities of 50:40:10 for temperature and 20:30:50 for snowfall.

For the temperature this is not meaning there's a 50/50 chance of above or below. There is a 50% probability that the temps will be below the long term average and only a 10% probability that they will be higher. So basically there is a much greater probability that temps will be lower than higher. There is a reasonable probability that they will be around average but overall the weighted probability is much greater for below average than above.

Same with the snowfall there's currently a much higher probability that snowfall will be above average than below.

Like all long term forecasts the longer out you attempt to forecast the less accurate the results will be. Within 1 month, as this forecast is for, they are generally reasonably accurate. Beyond a month the accuracy drops off considerably.

At this stage they're looking at around average temps and snowfall through March from central Honshu up to Hokkaido and probably a little above average temps in April. I don't take much notice of forecasts that far out myself. They're little better than an educated guesses.

I suspect, at least the way Aus climate forecasters work, they use the total record. That is, if they have records for 120 years, then the "long term average" is from the 120 years.

The latest seasonal forecast has been updated at the JMA.

The snowfall chart (6th February - 5th March) show a 40% probability below average. sadface

The average temp (20th February - 5th March) show a 40% above normal in Hokkaido. sadface

From today's Niseko Now report has a reading of -9C (bottom) & -17 (top), how accurate is the forecast.?? wakaranai

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/daily/niseko-now.php