Canon Powershot - S90 vs G11

I'm looking to get a decent small camera but confused by all the choice.

Canon Powershots seem to have a good rep and I was recommended these two models

S90

G11

The price isn't that much difference but I don't really know what the actual difference would be.

Any top tips perhaps someone in the know on these things!

Thanks

I think Canon pioneered face recognition which others now have.

But if you want a rugged, waterproof compact that you can take to the snow and to the beach, Olympus make some nice onces that are very inexpensive.

I have a G7 and I love it. If anything, too many features for me though. I bought it cos it has aperture priority mode and it can take a external flash, but i never use those.

the G10 and G11 get very good reviews. it seems that a lot of pro-shooters carry one (or something similar) with em for the times that they don't want to lug around a SLR.

there's plenty of times i want a decent camera on hand but don't want to have to lug around a bulky body and lens. i just can't justify buying even more stuff!

not sure about the S90, but the G11 is a fair bit chunkier than the tiny point and shoot cameras. the shockproof/waterproof olympus is very compact and can easily slip into a pocket. the G11 is a bit bigger, but will still fit into a purse or handbag or whatever

im happy with my g7 but it is sure a lot heavier than my old simple one which was like a credit card. that one i would carry on me all the time, whereas i often leave my g7 at home. but if you have a mobile with digicam then the simple digitals are redundant.

Unless, of course, you want something that works even when the other ones aren't functional.

I have a p&s digital cam (OK, 8Mp but still fairly simple) and a camera on the mobile. But, the mobile is a phone - phone = talk and text, camera = pictures.

If I were to rely on the mobile for both, if the phone died (as they do frequently, especially if they get soaked in a downpour) I'd lose the camera as well. Whereas, if the mobile dies, I still have the camera, and can take a pic of the dead phone for evidence if needed.

OR, if I were to do a russ crowe and try to bean some fool with my phone, the camera's gone too.

My wife uses a Lumix, she had a Sony T1, Olympus mule, Canon S something etc.

She asks me to take a pic with her holding the baby. And of course, those little bundles of flesh n bones move anyway they like. Invariably, there is no way to get a decent pic when you press the shutter release button and wait for the shutter to actually release. He's a constant blurr.

After reading up more than I have time to, I have decided to cut myself off from this endless reading and endless reviews and go for the S90. G11 looks good but it's just a bit too big and the S90 seems to have largely similar specs.

thumbsup

Sometimes the amount of choice with these things can be a bit overwhelming especially when you don't understand all the blurb and tech stuff.

Just feel like you're going round and round in circles at times!

Ken Rockwell thinks you have made a good choice. And he is someone to trust.

Quote:
The Canon S90 astounds me with the quality of images I can produce with it.

Every so often a camera comes out that stands out from the rest.

The Canon S90 is one of those cameras.

The S90 beats Canon's own flagship G11 at its own game. The S90 has the same oversized sensor as the G11, but adds a faster f/2 lens, a direct control ring and a bigger LCD in a smaller, lighter package for less money. So why would I want a G11? Just to carry more weight with a slower lens?

Have fun!

Just that Ken would really recommend a brand and have all the online sponsors banners in the review.

Dunno, I have had some good reads and have come out a bit choking cos of his sponsored recomendations.