Hi.. I am looking to upgrade/renew from a much loved Option Black Tusk 158 I started on back in 2003... I have been looking through some of the reviews here, some are a little out of date.. Can anybody suggest where to start? Totally lost at the moment.

I mainly freeride here in Japan, prefer off-piste where I can, am about 6" and intermediate to advanced level i suppose!.

Anything that can be purchased in Kanda etc would be better.

Thanks in advance

How much do you weigh?

I'd check out:

Atomic Banger

Salomon Burner, Sick Stick

Venture Storm, Zephyr (they make rocker and non-rocker)

Nidecker Ultralight, Megalight

I got Burner '08 and I love it. Not too stiff. I weigh 60 kg 5'8'' and ride a 157. The 2010 models start from 160, and I don't know if they are stiffer but I'd go for that extra 3 cm now that I am used to the length and for powder.

I don't ride Park. (not yet anyways. I do have a 151 SantaCruz Fusion TT) I don't do big jumps, or big halfpipes.

I've ridden the Burner on a SBX course, powder, Icy, steeps and I love it. The board goes fast often beating skiers. That speed is an advantage in powder. It's just a bit of a hassle snaking through moguls compared to a 151. I have to go over it. Construction wise, very well built. rubberised top edge can take hits from skiers at lift lines, the base doesn't need repair all the time.

Good luck!

Hi thanks for the ideas. I'm about 70-75kg. I seldom ride in the park these days, much prefer powder. I avoid moguls at all cost but sometimes unavoidable here (e.g Hakuba Goyru) I guess i ride switch about 20% of the time to give the back-leg a rest. will have a look into the names suggested.

Originally Posted By: epsilonphase
Hi thanks for the ideas. I'm about 70-75kg. I seldom ride in the park these days, much prefer powder. I avoid moguls at all cost but sometimes unavoidable here (e.g Hakuba Goyru) I guess i ride switch about 20% of the time to give the back-leg a rest. will have a look into the names suggested.

Well, it sounds like you are in the category for a board with some rocker. I am

or the Rome Notch 1985 will be awesome for you. Super light board that is going to float allll over that snow.

K2 makes a board called the Gyrator that is amazing in powder. I demoed it last year (this year's) and it is absolutely amazing. Was sooo stoked on it.

Last but not least the Burton Guru will be good for ya. Worth checking out but I would definitely look at the Rome Notch.

If you want edgehold on steeps, I'll avoid full rocker.

Anyone here moved on to rocker boards? Love to hear their experience!

I add, (not for my weight, someone over 70kg min)

Nitro Pantera.

My picks are mostly directional boards with set back, except for the Sick Stick which is called "tapered twin"

Would recommend the Burton Malolo as a board that is awesome in powder and also solid on groomers. Or the Fish if you are really serious about the powder (the Fish also rides perfect on groomers, whatever people on the net say. I've been riding mine for 2 seasons now)

Smokin has made one of the best boards i've ridden in my short 20 seasons of riding.

They are kinda rockered, but its very, very subtle, with basically the board flat between the feet. They consistantly place in TW Snoawboard mag's top 10 good wood. Plus, they come with a 3 year warranty.

http://www.smokinsnowboards.com/

I'm guessing the KT-22 is the model for you

Sweet. Thanks for that. I've had a look through Rakuten before and the selection is lacking. Was hoping that you knew of a shop that might have supplied them. I'm hunting for something at least 159. I'll keep my eyes peeled...

Went down to Kanda on satuday, every shop was sold out of the boards listed above!.. most of the guys said that they get a small stock in and they usually sell out over the summer. TIJ!

There were some Burton Maolo 09's still in stock, for about 40-50k yen. I'd prefer not to get a pure powder board but interested to know if anybody rides these here.

Originally Posted By: MrSingh
How about Neversummer Premier? Great on powder and groomers, and virtually indestructible. Demoed the board once, and a couple of my friends have it. Unfortunately, it's not sold in Japan.

not much help then

Malolo is not a pure powder board. It's a powder-focussed all-mountain board. You won't have any trouble riding it in normal conditions. Just don't expect to be pulling tricks in the park.

Originally Posted By: MrSingh
How about Neversummer Premier? Great on powder and groomers, and virtually indestructible. Demoed the board once, and a couple of my friends have it. Unfortunately, it's not sold in Japan.

I have had one of these for years and its been AWESOME! You can buy direct off their site I think. Im buying another one.

These do look great...

http://www.smokinsnowboards.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9&Itemid=14