Also known as "invasion" day by the indigenes. It is the day on which the settlers first set foot on the "terra nullis" (empty land) of "Terra Australis" (Great Southern Land - hence the Midnight Oils song of the same name).

We have evolved (or at least MOST of us have) since then, and acknowledge that there were inhabitants here before the Poms invaded, we have welcomed others (through appropriate channels - not "illegals") over the years and have become a nation of very mixed original nationalities.

FWIW, I have acquaintances from around 5 or 6 different national origins. I, myself, am descended from English, Welsh and Scottish roots (and have the birth certificates to prove it!).

A real United Nations, is Aus!

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
Do people have barbies?

Only girls! rollabout rollabout

Oh, you mean BBQs ... Yep lots and lots. But we don;t wait for Oz Day to have a BBQ. Any day will do! Best way to cook a steak, chops, prawns (or shrimp??) or bloody near anything, really!

Awesome day. Barbie on the beach while watching the kids and mums surf with a couple of quite beers as the sun goes down.

A simple pleasure that sums up Australia day for me. thumbsup

Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi oi oi.

Also had a great day on Mooloolaba Beach as one of 1,020 other nutters in the sea on a giant blow up Havaianas thong. We were trying to set the Aussie record (could be world record) but were beaten on the day by Cottesloe WA - were you there Mama Bear, G,O?.

Anyway a fun day followed by a barbie with friends, cricket, thong throwing, jelly wrestling, egg catching etc. Then after breakfast we.......nah, just kidding.

mast_home.jpg

Originally Posted By: JA
Also known as "invasion" day by the indigenes. It is the day on which the settlers first set foot on the "terra nullis" (empty land) of "Terra Australis" (Great Southern Land - hence the Midnight Oils song of the same name).

We have evolved (or at least MOST of us have) since then, and acknowledge that there were inhabitants here before the Poms invaded, we have welcomed others (through appropriate channels - not "illegals") over the years and have become a nation of very mixed original nationalities.

FWIW, I have acquaintances from around 5 or 6 different national origins. I, myself, am descended from English, Welsh and Scottish roots (and have the birth certificates to prove it!).

A real United Nations, is Aus!

That's a lot of roots JA

lol

No I wasn;t there Snowjunky, but I did see it on the news.

We went in as a family and did a stocktake and pre-order of veggies so Papa wasn't working all day on his own. Then swung by Freo for a Coffee and a cake (kids played at Timezone), and home. I saw some pretty outrageous sights sitting on the alfresco sidewalk there on the Cappuccino Strip - middle aged (or even old aged) couples chucking bog laps in their hotted up cars with the little flags flying....people wearing not much more than the Aussie Flag ... twas a real giggle.

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
Do I say congratulations?
Not sure what it is but - congratulations, have fun etc.

Do people have barbies?
I speared a koala and a roo this morning and they are being char grilled on our BBQ. We love our wildlife down here.

Definitely Invasion day when I was in Nimbin with more Aboriginal flag.

It's a historic day for sure.

Lived in Oz for 25 years and I still don't know all the holidays and when. Everyday is a holiday for me. Anyways, Aussies are amusing and cracks me up, and that did me some good. I miss it being here in Germany.

Oi Oi Oi

Well just got to work and already heard a couple of stories from last night have filtered in.

Supposedly in one of the restaurants a girl obviously took quite a bit of offence at some guy and proceeded to break a glass and slash him with it and then kicked the crap out of him.

A guy staying in one of our properties fell down some stairs and split open his head. Not knowing how to contact help he pushed the fire alarm in the building and waited for the cops and fire dept to turn up (not such a stupid idea actually).

That's all for now but I'm sure there'll be plenty more, will keep you updated.

I believe there was a fight at another bar (for once not Wild Bills!) but overall talking to people who were in the village it appears people on the whole were very well behaved. Get this many drunk Aussies in one place and you have to expect one or two things will happen.