So, just to give Muika a little taste of one of the resorts in Myoko Kogen (Suginohara) I decided to post these pictures. I hadn't done so before because I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to sharing photography and I was having camera troubles at the time... Anyway, enjoy!

The day we were there was fabulous.

Black%20Mountain_39.JPG

View back down the hill from near the top.

Black%20Mountain_40.JPG

Top of the 8km run

Black%20Mountain_41.JPG

I believe that Madarao Kogen is just on the other side of this mountain.

Black%20Mountain_42.JPG

Silver birches abound here.

Black%20Mountain_43.JPG

View into the distance.

Black%20Mountain_44.JPG

Black%20Mountain_45.JPG

Black%20Mountain_46.JPG

Nice view!

Black%20Mountain_47.JPG

View from the top of the gondola

Black%20Mountain_48.JPG

It's a great place but can get crowded. A day at each of the resorts in Myoko Kogen is just what the doctor ordered.

If you check the pictures you'll notice small black dots. Apparently I had some kind of mold growing inside my camera last year. Anyway, I ended up ruining about 5 trips worth of photos because I didn't notice the problem at first. Eventually I took it into my local shop and after a few thousand yen everything was back to normal!

Those pictures are from some time in February. It was surprisingly warm that day. Something like +5 on the slopes... as we all remember last year was a warm one. I think this was from a Sunday but it had dumped snow Friday night so Saturday was the day to be on the slopes.

nice pics BM. yesterday was a bit disappointing on the hill. 10cm of fresh but gnarly crust off piste from the thaw/freeze from the warm and rain.

had resolved to have a quiet weekend, but got up early this morning cos of crazy noise from snowpughs and snow blowers - it's still drak but it looks like another 10-15 of unexpected snow fell last night.

Hey Black Mountain, can you tell me what the ski resort is in the picture captioned view into the distance.

Our only regret whilst at Myoko was not spending more time at Ikenataira and Suginohara. The tops of the hills are spectacular and the top to bottom run really lets you know where your legs are. Very appealing to us Aussies.

The only criticism, that I have of the whole Myoko experience is of the shuttle bus service which although punctual was neither regular nor frequent and the timetables which defied the best efforts of even native Japanese to accurately interpret.

We liked those two hills so much that we just camped at the bus stop until it eventually came.

We also got pretty good at reciting " Kono buswa Suginohara / Ikenataira ni ikimaska"?

Originally Posted By: Mr Brisbane

Our only regret whilst at Myoko was not spending more time at Ikenataira and Suginohara. The tops of the hills are spectacular and the top to bottom run really lets you know where your legs are. Very appealing to us Aussies.

The only criticism, that I have of the whole Myoko experience is of the shuttle bus service which although punctual was neither regular nor frequent and the timetables which defied the best efforts of even native Japanese to accurately interpret.

yep, i like suginohara and ikenotaira too. the lifts at suginohara are fast and long. ikenotaira is full of ski schools and park rats, so a lot of the trees stay untouched for a while

maybe we've just been lucky with the buses - they always seem to come bang on time for us though...?

Hey, I'm sure the busses were on time - just working out when that was, was our problem. Nothing like like a regular - at 10 past the hour interval and the Japanese only timetable was beyond us and any who did not recognise the place names.

Anyway we got there in the end and the rewards were worth it.

yeah, i got no idea how to read the bus timetables either, and to be fair, a lot of japanese people seem confused by which bus is going where. i've just worked out what time they leave at the start of their journey, and add on a bit of time for them to get to where i'm at...

Yeah, might not be easy. In Nakano we passed a train station that was no more than 8kms from Ryuoo... but I have no idea the name... would it be the same local line as Myoko Kogen? Train - taxi... but expensive. Anyway, Spook already has a seasons pass for Myoko so best to stay put and make use of it! Spook, when you leave I'll be happy to take it off your hands wink

I like Suginohara (except the very lower base area)

It was the first Japanese ski area i went to. Way back in the early 90's.

I was lucky to win a free ticket from Snow Japan last season. Great day out.

yeah, waaaay too much of a mission. having a car would be pretty nice. there's a bunch of stuff we'd like to do nearby, but taking public transport tkes ages. tomorrow we're gonna check out the snow monkeys, and it involves a bus, train, then bus just to get there. fingers crossed we enjoy it, because it's about 6 hours of travel there and back just to spend a few hours there. looking at a map i reckon we could drive there in an hour or so. oh well

next season... car!

oh yeah, BM, can you get your PM's turned on. or email me at lukegerson at yahoo dot com dot au

did the tunnel today too. cheers for that!