I'm thinking about renting a pair of skis for my next trip this season, and was wondering if any of you did the same.

I'm a pretty decent snowboarder and had a couple skiing lessons a long, long time ago. How hard would it be to learn some basic parallel skiing?

I board, but I want to ski too.

My biggest problem is that my boarding is still improving and my snow holidays arent very long, so i'd be compromising my boarding time to pick up skiing.

i want to ski as I suspect its easier on an aging body and i'm planning for my eventual retirement and i'd love to own property and take up cross country as well.

i'll get there eventually - but in the meantime, just need some longer holidays!

I made the switch in the opposite direction a number of years ago. Recently been thinking about getting back into it but I don't have any gear... I guess if I find the right rental gear (quality stuff) I might have a go at it this season.

I've always found snowboarding easier than skiing and thought to myself that it would be easier on an old man than skiing...

My kids went 'gay for a day' (ok, so I am teasing...please don't tell me off for being politically incorrect) during our recent Niseko trip.

We were lucky to have an ex-ski instructor amongst our crew, and we were there long enough for the boys to ask to hire ski's and get a lesson from him.

The 10 and 12 year old were doing well controlled parallel turns down the family run within the hour, and the 16 year old was doing them all the way down from the top of the Ace Quad holding the poles out in front across his body.

I would also like to try skiing - but I have the same issue as you Gareth ... I am only now really feeling like I can tackle anything on the mountain (not with grace and dignity mind you - but tackle and survive - yes), and I am not sure I want to risk ending my vacation fun with a twisted knee from trying out ski's.

Maybe we should wait until we buy a ski shack somewhere and retire to the snow to be trying it out ....race ya to it, Gareth!

Welcome to the dark side! Personally I hope the little schism between skiers and boarders persists, cuz it's so much fun! On my side of the coin, there's no competition: skiers rock. Borders roll--down the hill and mess up all my snow!

Sorry I am the same as MB & Gareth but in reverse!! I ski and I wanted to try snowboarding but I have just progressed to the blue runs and am now comfortable on them and don't want to spend a week of my holiday going right back to the beginning and perhaps injuring myself. I am WAY TO OLD for that!!

Make sure you get a lesson early on when you get to Niseko Snowhuntress, if there was ever a place to tackle your first black it is in Niseko with a nice soft covering of POW. The same gradient of run in Oz would be horrendous and icy.

I reckon a SWITCH party would be a complete hoot. Get a big group of mates together and everyone switch. Skiers board and boarders ski. If you can ski and board, then ride your board switch. And if you are a complete over achiever and can do it all, then just go to the pub overlooking the run and laugh at all your buddies falling on their toosh.

Why not! SkI is fun ! I never got into aerials doing flips from big kickers like Mitch. But I can say that Moguls are so much more fun and easy on ski. I can go so much faster downhill. I'm old school where I was told to ski mostly on the inside edge and stick your feet together parallel but stuff that bit, take advantage that you have two edges and can change your stance. You are helluva lot more stable in all sorts of conditions. And the choices of profile you can get with skis these days! I had ballet skis (120cm Olin) in my youth days so I can totally dig those freestyle skis. Having done that, when I got the basics of snowboarding, buttering, switch and stuff was easy.

Going from snowboard is going to be easier I reckon. No issues with finding your stance, lifts and tows, falling like crazy.

Parallel is just ãƒã€€getting used to speed and ending ll. You can alternate and control speed in the biginning. Your turns will end up parallel anyways.

Would I ski again myself? Of course!

I have been thinking about doing the same thing but having just got back from japan when the snow is good you just want to be charging at your best, so maybe its something to do in oz when the snow is not so good. One thing to mention though if you go bacl to skiing you will not be doing parralel turns, unless you wanted to ski 'old school' style. Skiing now is with skis shoulder width apart and using the edge to carve and it has become much more like snowboarding in style. I would say that if you can carve on your snowboard and know how to use your edges properly then you will probably be able to transfer that to skiing pretty easily...

Switched to tele's a few years back. coolmirrors You know free your heel and all that good BS.

It was like starting to ski all over again. Still don't totally feel comfortable dropping a knee on steeper stuff.

Legs get tired quicker. Have had lots of fun. Plenty of face plants it's real easy when your heels are not locked down. I have never looked back.

Dan give skiing a go it can be lots of fun.