What is this (concrete in the middle of nowhere!)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I took this photo yesterday from Tenjindaira.

See the Super Mario Brothers like chute near the bottom left of the image? Right in the middle of nowhere we seemingly no access to it. Wonder what it is? I think my guess might be a shaft from the Kanetsu Expressway shimizu tunnel....

muikabochi_2224.JPG

I'm pretty sure your right. I walked out there when I first came to Japan. There is no trail and I was pretty much climbing boulders in the stream bed for most of the way up. They must have used helicopters when building it. That thing is maybe 15 to 20 meters tall and you could hear the air rushing out of it. At the time I had no idea what it was. It kind of made me nervous :lol:

I think it was summer so no snow. It is really wild down there I keep hallucinating bears ever time I heard a rustling in the bushes. Really cool area Tanigawa. Have you been to Ichinokurasawa? It's the valley you can walk to from the Tenjin parking lot. Really spectacular valley, lots of photo opportunities ;)

Yes I have been but never been able to take pics I'm happy with. Light always not good.

I think I remember thinking I need to go very early morning to get the best light.

Back to Mario tube, how did you get there again?

I just realized I didn't answer your question. You get there from Tanigawa Onsen. There is also a skijo in the valley "White Valley" I just looked on google maps and it is the 252. There is a trail for a while that just dead ends at a nice natural pool in the creek. From there it's a rock scramble.

Nice views. Took me maybe 1.5 hours to the pipe. I went a little farther so I am not 100% sure. I don't know if you can call it a hike, more of a rock scramble. It was fairly difficult. Better to go with someone. It wouldn't be the best place to twist an ankle.