What is this (concrete in the middle of nowhere!)

I took this photo yesterday from Tenjindaira.

See the Super Mario Brothers like chute near the bottom left of the image? Right in the middle of nowhere we seemingly no access to it. Wonder what it is? I think my guess might be a shaft from the Kanetsu Expressway shimizu tunnel....

muikabochi_2224.JPG

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that is exactly what it is muikabochi. The expressway will be going through the mountain somewhere around there. The Shinklansen goes almost under the resort and the expressway a bit further off to the west. It will either by the shinkansen or the expressay though, I think the latter.

As a surfer in Japan I've grown accustomed to massive, useless concrete all over the place. I've seen some truely beautiful areas completely concreted over in fact... at least that is just a small dot on a massive landscape.

• 4 months later...

One thing I forgot to mention in my other post from last weekend.

On the way back from Minakami, we stopped at the Tenjindaira parking area just before the big Kanetsu tunnel.

They have a very small 'museum' (one room building) there about the tunnel - video on it being built, little models etc. Quite interesting actually.

Also saw the Mario pipe on the model, though curiously no mention of Mario, coins or secret levels.

Worth 10 minutes of your time if you're not in a mad rush to get to Yuzawa.