Just while we are on this topic... we had ONE pair of bindings that got used for the trip and then left behind because they were broken (and broke early in the trip) - and they were the Burton CO2's. I have read reviews of them online and they all talk the binding up, but our experience was very different.

The highback has a skeleton frame and mesh inserts, and the frame snapped at the top of the highback, also one of the ratchets stopped working properly (lost a spring I think) - not what we expected with our experience of other models of Burton bindings both prior and during this last trip.

Originally Posted By: MrSingh
Somebody please land some 20m jumps using the Fastec bindings and let us know if the heel latch pops off...

Yeah....that is NOT gonna happen Mr Singh - not from me anyhow!

However I rode with them for 3 weeks (missed 2 days I think), I did pop over some small natural features - and had a few major stacks that put quite a bit of pressure on the board/bindings...and they never gave way.

ONCE I got off a lift and noticed that things were not as responsive, and realized that the lift release button was undone - however I think that was operator error (I had not actually clicked it in properly when I clipped in.)

The latch at the back of my Fastecs is a really sturdy metal one - I would be VERY surprised if that was the part to become unreliable over time.

sierrasnowboards.com has a board and binding deal for US$349 plus shipping. The board is their own (Sierra Team), but its based off the Flow Team board, coupled with Flow Quattro bindings. They also have the Sierra Crew (which is based off the Burton Custom!) for $250 (The Custom is over US$550 brand new!). They have a couple of cheap binding sets under $100 (70% off) as well.

They are a good company to deal with, and my mate bought the board and bindings deal on Saturday morning (Australian time) and received the stuff yesterday (Wednesday Australian time), so I can recommend them.

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Wait a minute snowluva, IF you have flexy bindings then a lot of the movement will be absorbed by the binding movement so there will be loss of precision, feeling of contact with the board. I don't see how the flex pattern will be affected by the binding other than where you attach them. ie: center, setback stance.
Maybe for some people the flexy binding might act as a shock absorber, but the part of the hardware that's designed to do that job should be the EVA padding.

Can you explain. I'm a bit confused.

my experience has been that when i have had bindings with a very rigid build (such as the flows i owned for a week or the metal based Ride bindings that i used for a long time it almost acts like screwing a piece of metal across the board under your feet and having an effect of limiting the flew pattern/design of the board. if you have a stiffer board then its not as big of a problem but if you have a softer flex board then it will change how the board responds. The flows may have developed since then as that was back in 03 but i have definetly noticed boards riding differently with different bindings on them.

hope that helps.
Originally Posted By: Mamabear

The latch at the back of my Fastecs is a really sturdy metal one - I would be VERY surprised if that was the part to become unreliable over time.

Have to emphasize there that I actually walked past the Flows, Fastecs and Cinches that had the plastic latch at the back. The security of those concerned me, although people riding with us had them and they never failed for them.

Thanks for the additional feedback Mamabear.

I think I might pick up the Fastec, Rakuten has them on sale at 50% off. I need backup equipment since we'll be in Gulmarg next month and it would be hard to come across rentals/equipment shops in that region...

Cheers, snowluva. I got the picture. What you said makes even more sense if the board is like Burton T6 where there is a sheet of metal running along the middle, lengthwise.

Burner isn't like that but according to the manufacturer it's supposed to be a stiffer board. I find it flexy when I am a lightweight on a 157cm. So your explanation explains that. It's meant to be ridden with a stiffer binding.

Thanks for your info, cos I like it flexy at that length. Meaning I have to choose my bindings even more carefully. Flex on the baseplate but stiffer at the heelcup and highback junction.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow guys really great info. I was tending towards the flows and as I dont land big air, or even try to smile , they might still be the go. Will need to get over to Mama's to have a look and Gareth's as well. I'd keep the Drakes but the straps are starting to break etc.