Hey girls - your Valentine budget this year is....

Originally Posted By: snowhuntress
I am getting this right?? In Japan the girls buy the guys chocolates not visa versa??

They have another day where the blokes are supposed to get the girls something but yeah on Valentines it's the girls turn.

Another excuse to rip more money from us! Mother's Day, Father's Day, Christmas, New Year, Valentines, Easter, there's no letup!

Reason I refuse to go with the "bigger better brighter" present thing. Our presents are all home made and/or something small that the person will use and appreciate.

I have NO problem with gift giving.

I don't like the expectation and the big marketing ploys surrounding Christmas and Valentines and Easter blah blah. The 'if you love someone you will spend $X' - hate that! We have family in very tight financial situations and for them to feel that they MUST spend the money they need for rent on gifts is just horrid.

However I really like giving gifts. I put a HEAP of though into the gifts I buy, and sometimes spend too much - sometimes spend very little - but the gifts always hit the mark because if the thought that has gone into them.

I do not however expect to get gifts in return, or judge someones love for me by the cost of their gift. I recall one Christmas a few years ago - Papa stuck for what to get and sent the secretary out with the work credit card and an unlimited budget to buy Christmas gifts for me from him and the 4 boys (5 gifts in total). When I got them I knew they were not from him - and one item needed to go back - so I found out that he had palmed off the shopping. I made it very clear right there and then I had no need for material objects however if he wanted to buy me a gift - do it himself - otherwise it means absolutely nothing to me.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
I've never needed to constantly supply my wife with material items to keep her happy. She's always been low maintenance which is one of the many reasons I married her!

got me one of them as well! thumbsup
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...