2. 2. Should I make a new poll?

• Yes please
    • No, don't need

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting old. lol 4~5 hrs

but perhaps in not the hours, it's the way we do it. Like, how much distance did you cover? etc..

We like to board long runs without stopping. It's usually me who has to stop (Missus has strong legs)

I like the Alps. Long runs, wide runs, fast lifts.

Depends but I haven't done a really FULL day for quite a while.

Usually 3 hours or so for nearby and 4-5 hours or so if I'm going on a day trip somewhere.

Depends on how big and interesting the place is too, as well the snow etc.

I'm sure I would do more if it was a holiday for me and I was staying in a place - rather than living very closeby.

well saturday we got up there a little late didn't get going until about 9.45 but ended about 6pm (stole a few extra Nighta runs). usually I like to go from first lift to last lift...thoroughly knackered by the end in the onsen.

At New Year I did this...the mrs only went until 2pm but I continued on afterwards on my own until 4-4.30

Usually when I go, Im with people who are lower intermediate level, so I find Im waiting around for them a lot. This is especially true when with snowboarders - it drives me nuts waiting for them to strap on at the beginning of every run! I appreciate that decent snowboarders probably take no time at all straping in, but lower level guys seem to spend most of their time sat on their backsides!

It really depends on the conditions and how hungover I am smile

Usually about 3-4 hours but since we are so close to the mountains here I ski about 5 days a week. If it is a really nice pow day and the mountain isn't crowded I will put in a solid 7 hours or so. Especially on days when we hike it tends to be a long day. 3 hours to tour and 3 hours to ski.

Originally Posted By: Gary
Usually when I go, Im with people who are lower intermediate level, so I find Im waiting around for them a lot. This is especially true when with snowboarders - it drives me nuts waiting for them to strap on at the beginning of every run! I appreciate that decent snowboarders probably take no time at all straping in, but lower level guys seem to spend most of their time sat on their backsides!

They need to get themselves some convenience bindings!

Flow (used by a few of my friends)
K2 Cinch (which I wanted, got for a friend and Papa now wants)
or
SP Fastec (which I use)

It has revolutionized the sitting on the butt thing for me. Many times this past trip it took no more time for me to get my binding secured at the top of the lift than it did for the skier in our group to have a glance around and decide which way we would go. There were also numerous runs where (after getting off the lift) the next time I was on my butt was when we were back on the lift.

Really depends on who I'm with. If I'm hanging with my buds we usually go mental all day long so close to 7 hours. We are all pretty advanced snowboarders so we get a lot of runs in. If it's a long vacation 4~5 hours is usually enough...

This year, my wife has really improved a lot... we used to only go for a couple of hours each day on the weekend but now she is dragging me up and down the hill all day!

There really are a lot of variables though... snow conditions, weekend trips, long vacations, hangovers, work the next day... all things I consider when out for the day.

If I am by myself then pretty much non stop from morning until evening, with just a quick lunch a maybe a couple of quick breaks somewhere.

I guess 6+ hours easily. When with my daughter, wife usually a lot less!

I can't understand this getting off your butt business RE: with boarders.

Unless you want to sit on ya ass and rest.

Less than 30 sec. (more like 15) even if you sit on ya butt to bang your heel in to get snow off. If you have problem with the straps and rachet, then either the hardware is too small or the gloves too meaty. Maybe wearing mittens?

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
I can't understand this getting off your butt business RE: with boarders.
Unless you want to sit on ya ass and rest.
Less than 30 sec. (more like 15) even if you sit on ya butt to bang your heel in to get snow off. If you have problem with the straps and rachet, then either the hardware is too small or the gloves too meaty. Maybe wearing mittens?

If you're going with a group then typically waiting for everyone to be strapped in, which means whoever is the slowest. I've got Flows on my old board so I was always strapped in fast...so I can wait around for the gf to get strapped in to her normal bindings.

For the new one I'm using regular bindings, can't say I'm that fast though. Most of the time I'll be lazy, if there's a lot of people in front of me I'll wait for it to clear out before getting up.
Originally Posted By: SKI
As much as possible.

If I am staying somewhere usually ends up being 9am - 4pm
Don't really do lunch.

wow that's a long time without a break or lunch. You must be shattered by the end of the day.
Do you carry snacks with you?

As I live here and get a season pass as part of my salary package I don't really need to try and pack in as much as possible each and every day. So I usually ski only 4-5 hours. Sometimes less and sometimes longer depending on conditions.

Originally Posted By: stemik
Originally Posted By: SKI
As much as possible.

If I am staying somewhere usually ends up being 9am - 4pm
Don't really do lunch.

wow that's a long time without a break or lunch. You must be shattered by the end of the day.
Do you carry snacks with you?

I do the same and carry a cliff bar and maybe something else along with a bottle of water.

Another question might be "how much vert." but that would mean that you had a method to keep track of vertical and/or distance.

It also depends on how long the lifts are operating. Some resorts open at 7, 8, or 8:30 am and close at 4, 4:30, 5, or stay open for night skiing.

With a "large" mountain like Happo-one, I can cover almost every run in a full day, usually doing laps on the runs that I find interesting or enjoyable. Somewhere like Shiga Kogen, you would need 3-4 days to reach the other areas that can only be accessed by bus, etc.

I am not always on the first chair, but almost always on the last. There is nothing like riding down the last run of the day at dusk with patrol right behind closing it out.

Mamabear, with some practice, you can learn how to balance and to fasten traditional bindings while standing up.

In Niseko if you become a Hirafu Club member then they keep track of how much vertical you have done throughout the season which is pretty cool. You can login online to check it daily.

Originally Posted By: dyna8800

Mamabear, with some practice, you can learn how to balance and to fasten traditional bindings while standing up.

Cheers Dyna. I was probably doing that about 50% of the time with my traditional bindings, but even so the SP Fastecs are still MILES faster than the ratchet bindings I used (K2 Charms).

However I did have a bit of drama in deep powder with them. I had to unclip and hike out after a fall and I noted that IF I had ratchet bindings I could have worked it to clip in a bit earlier on my hike than I did with the Fastec's. But again - that will just be practice (and if I was a bit better boarder I probably wouldn't have found myself in that situation in the first place!)

As for the hours on the slope question....I haven't answered yet because it is so variable. I reckon it was mostly 4 hours this trip - but some days it was 8.30 until 6pm, and other 10am until 8pm. If it was a shorter trip the average would have been longer for sure.

I took a look at those K2 Cinch bindings, they look lightning fast!

The last trip to Niseko, besides doing laps on the natural halfpipe in Higashiyama (OK, so now it's called Niseko Village), the only runs that stood out were those in Mizuno no Sawa.

Quality over quantity...so it probably not is so much of how many hours, but how many good runs you have in a day.

What I don't like about the K2 Cinch or the SP fastec, is that although the strap in is just as fast as say Flow's, it still has the toe strap which always made my feet cramp up. I like the big sleeve on the Flows, seems to reduce the cramp to almost zilch. But whether your using the Flows, K2 Cinch or the SP's, you are always ready lightyears ahead of the other boarders, ready to ride as soon as you come off the lift. I have pretty much got the clip-in-while-skating-to-the-top-of-the-run down. Now I just huff and puff about waiting on my mates!! smile