NZ certification course for ski instructors

Has anyone taken anything like this?

I ask because it seems Canyons in Minakami is doing it later this month, info on their page on the site

http://www.snowjapan.com/e/services/canyons.html

Seems it's an entry-level course, so that'd be about right for me!

Would that help with getting jobs at Japanese ski resorts? Not sure if NZ would have any relevance here at all.

The question about the NZ course having any relevance here is moot. The question should be do Japan training courses have any relevance anywhere else. For avalanche skills training, I think Japan would be way behind if it weren't for foreign trainers and organizations.

Mina2,

I did the Level 1 CSIA (Canadian) course in Whistler a few years ago. You need to be an upper intermediate skier who can ski parallel.

Probably the Level 3 Instructor from Canyons is the course conductor for the program.

For getting a job at Japanese ski resorts, you need to have a professional level certification such as from PSIA, CSIA, NZSIA, etc.

At most other ski resorts in Canada and the States, usually they hire people and then put them through their own internal programs, and they get certified by the end of the season.

The course is really fulfilling.

Feel free to ping me with any questions!

From what Ive heard there are a couple of Examiners from N.Z running the course and after Minakami they will head up to Niseko for another course.

If you gained level one it would definitely help in getting a job as an instructor here in Japan and other countries as well.

Probably the Examiner is from Snow Trainers. They offer an 8 week course in Niseko.

For the Instructor Academy, last I heard they could not get sanctioned for the Canadian course, so they offer the NZ course.

Club Med has an annual listing for CSIA Level 2 ski instructors to work in Sahoro.

Mina2, can you ping me with the details of the Canyons course, i.e. price, etc.?

Thanks,

Originally Posted By: SJForums
Details are on the Canyons page on SJ, link in the first post dyna.
friend

Thanks SJForums, I did not see that as I went straight to their website directly.

Cheers,

I'm NZ qualified and got job offers in quite a few different Japanese resorts, so if you are interested in actually working, it'd be a good one to do.

If you just want to improve your skiing it'd be a good course as well. I know the guys who'll be examining, and they are awesome skiers and teachers.

• 9 months later...