• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair it was like that for the summer games when I was in australia. If there was no Aussie involvement then it didn't get shown, or got a tiny segment at the end of the news. I'm not a huge fan of the Olympics, but I do like the track and field events....for me I think the 100m's is THE event of the Olympics........did the final get shown?? No....some shitey nothing event because it had aussie participation. I know that its not like that in Britain....if it was then there would be hardly any coverage on TV, cos we don't have enough top athletes!!! lol

For winter sports in Germany, all you get is

Alpine ski. Jump. Things that go wizzing down an icy track. People on xc skis with a rifle.

Probably need EuroSports2 (pay channel) for better coverage.

But that is it. You would never call yourself a Brit. You'd call yourself a Scot. Same as thos English. They'd call themselves English. And the Welsh, Welsh.

Shame about the micks, they call themselves Irish.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
To be fair it was like that for the summer games when I was in australia. If there was no Aussie involvement then it didn't get shown, or got a tiny segment at the end of the news. I'm not a huge fan of the Olympics, but I do like the track and field events....for me I think the 100m's is THE event of the Olympics........did the final get shown?? No....some shitey nothing event because it had aussie participation. I know that its not like that in Britain....if it was then there would be hardly any coverage on TV, cos we don't have enough top athletes!!! lol

All comes down to ratings TB. Which ever event draws the most interest will be shown the most .Remember that there are anything up to a dozen events being run simultaneously at the summer games. We are fortunate that the Aussies aren't very prominent in the winter olympics and therefore we will get to see a whole host of other events.
Originally Posted By: thursday
But that is it. You would never call yourself a Brit. You'd call yourself a Scot. Same as thos English. They'd call themselves English. And the Welsh, Welsh.

Shame about the micks, they call themselves Irish.

I know Thurs, I don't think I've ever said otherwise. What I'm saying though is that I have no problem being a part of Britain, I enjoy travel benefits with my British passport, but I would never call myself a Brit simply because people abroad think that Britain = England. Britain doesn't really exist outside of Politics (and the Olympics)

Cos the game was invented in Britain, with the standard rules being devised in England. The first International was an England vs Scotland game, so our respective assocatons were already set up when football started to spread to all corners of the globe. Our independance status is wrtten into FIFA's charter....much to the annoyance of the North American federation

Yeah, pity they cannot win any of the games they "invented".

Soccer, last world cup winner? NOT England.

Cricket, last world cup winner? not England.

Polo, last world cup winner? FIIK (but prolly not England)

Did they invent any other games?

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Rugby
Darts
Bashing worms in front of pubs (you gut to dig them first)

Thugby - world cup winner? Who gives a Toss? Prolly not England, anyway. (Cannot even find them on the World Cup 2011 site - do they still play?
Darts - do they even HAVE a world cup?
worm bashing - now there's something they could possibly be the very best in the world at!
Originally Posted By: JA

well JA TBF most major sports have their grounds in the UK and they have spread to be truly global sports, so competition is much harder...Football, Rugby, Golf, Cricket....what original sport has Australia come up with that they are world champs at and is a Global sport? rolleyes

Darts have a World Championship and its dominated by Brits, and Dutch people
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Originally Posted By: JA

well JA TBF most major sports have their grounds in the UK and they have spread to be truly global sports, so competition is much harder...Football, Rugby, Golf, Cricket....what original sport has Australia come up with that they are world champs at and is a Global sport? rolleyes

Darts have a World Championship and its dominated by Brits, and Dutch people

Sorry, TB, forgot to add the evilgrin icon. I was, in fact taking the puss! And, yes Australia hasn't "invented" a new global sport - but we've not been around that long. At least we don't claim that our AFL series is the "World" series (like baseball in US). wink

BUT, Oz has managed to beat the poms at most of those games mentioned. Excepting maybe darts and golf (and who'd pay money to watch some big kids walk around hitting a little white ball out of sight and then play "find the ball" so they can hit it again?) Darts, I can understand, as it gives you something to do with the hand that's not holding the beer glass.

Cannot wait to watch the next Ashes series in Oz, Poms = West Indies (at best 2-0 with 3 drawn games).

Yeah England beat Australia to win the Rugby world cup a couple of years back didn't they? Much to my disappointment.......watching the inevitable lauding on the EBC was stomach churning! Same when they won the Ashes, although TBF I could care less about Cricket, its 4 days too long!

Dunno if I could sit and watch a full day of snooker but I used to like watching it on the telly. Likewise with Golf, great to see the Open as its going into the final round!! smile

Just so long as there's an alternative for me to watch, youse can all watch the golufu to your heart's content.

Waste of time and space, is a golf course! Imagine how many houses, complete with rain water tanks, you could build on an 18 hole course. And think of the frustrations that people would do without! wink

Originally Posted By: thursday
No way, think of all the multi million condos around the course that a golf course creates for people. Damn, I aim for the windows all the time.
lol

Think of all the multi-million condos you could build ON the golf course, though! Alleviate some of the world's homelessness right there!