Originally Posted By: Chriselle
Pipe down buddy...stick to cricket.. wink

apropos of what, exactly?

Scoreline is the answer ...
higher score = winner,
lower score = loser.

Nothing could be simpler. At least there's no judges for "style"!
  • Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: JA
Pipe down buddy...stick to cricket.. wink

apropos of what, exactly?

Scoreline is the answer ...
higher score = winner,
lower score = loser.

Nothing could be simpler. At least there's no judges for "style"!

Well, of course! But, it sure makes for boring post game analysis....

...And in hockey news..America wins and Canada loses...now for tomorrow's weather..

US winning makes for a good story. Team USA - The team with heart. Not really the most skilled hockey players or highly paid but they're younger and hungrier and they just beat the best players in the world. They're the perfect underdogs, and it's not often we can say that about the US.

...And in hockey news..America wins and Canada loses...now for tomorrow's weather..

Not suggesting that the analysis needs to be minimalist (if that's your thing) but the result is the result. Whinging and complaining about how it should have been is NOT analysis.
Originally Posted By: JA

Not suggesting that the analysis needs to be minimalist (if that's your thing) but the result is the result. Whinging and complaining about how it should have been is NOT analysis.

You're...umm..... new to this Canadian pass time aren't ya? biggrin
Originally Posted By: MitchPee
OK just watched the game...wife recorded it. USA didn't deserve that win. They did not carry much of the play and most of their offence was dump and chase. It was a Miller win.

I hate to say it but after watching hockey every minute of every hour for the 90's I am so disappointed in the twirl and twist style of today. Nobody will ever touch the likes of Roy, Gretzkey, Federov, Sakic, Forsberg, Brodeur, etc.

I agree. The '87 Canada cup with Gretzky, Lemieux, Coffey, and Fuhr was the greatest hockey in history and will never be repeated. The Russians weren't in the league yet and the players played for the love of the game not the $$..I imagine you were too young MitchPee.

I was young, but I grew up watching those guys play. Mario Lemieux had to have been one of the most upstanding professional athletes ever. On the likes with Michael Jordan. Gretzkey too is another one who just epitomized sportsmanship and talent.

Luckily, my dad was friends with an NHL referee and he was able to get us tickets all the time to the Boston Bruins where I lived 40 mins from the stadium most of my life. Got to meet Ray Borque, Bobby Orr, Cam Neely, and those guys right there are so much more worthy of recognition than these cocky backwards football and basketball stars we have today.

I lived in toronto for a stint in 89-90. The guys i was living with were Hocky nuts. I would watch them play on a Tuesday night and never a game was missed on the TV. I remember watching Gretsky (the great one) and the reverence that they spoke of him.

How are the leafs going these days? Didn't they win a tittle a few years ago, or was that the Bluejays? confused

Originally Posted By: Mantas
I lived in toronto for a stint in 89-90. The guys i was living with were Hocky nuts. I would watch them play on a Tuesday night and never a game was missed on the TV. I remember watching Gretsky (the great one) and the reverence that they spoke of him.

How are the leafs going these days? Didn't they win a tittle a few years ago, or was that the Bluejays? confused

The leafs are in the cellar. Utterly tragic.
Originally Posted By: Mantas

How are the leafs going these days? Didn't they win a tittle a few years ago? confused

Yeah, just a couple of years back. 1967, I think. A little off topic. It's a bit of a sore spot imo. Torono's one of the biggest, richest hockey market in the world so you'd think maybe they could put together a team that could win but they don't because people will keep coming to the game regardless. Instead, it's places like Tampa, Florida that put together the teams that can win because they have to win in order to keep the fams. We used to blame it on Ballard. Now we blame it on the NHL or Gary Bettman.... But nothing changes. If only Hamilton could get a team, maybe things would get a little more interesting.
Originally Posted By: ger
Just to get back on topic though....Tomorrow. Canada vs. Russau in ice hockey. banner party coolmirrors Should be a good one.

Lot's of hockey on NHK live streaming tomorrow. Can't wait.

Love the way the Japanese media are painting the figure skating thing. One programme currently saying that Mao is in the better position for gold. Never mind she is 5 points behind. In previous competitions, the person in 2nd after the short programme has come back to win. So, it's best to be 2nd.

confused

Question re: Medal Count.

I was alwaays of the opinion that when it came to medal standings, GOLD ruled!? That's summer & winter versions too btw. Was just checking the official standings and it now appears that it's based on TOTAL medals won- not the colour.

2 Points In Case: Korea & France are in equal 6th place with a Total 10 medals, however Korea has five gold and France two. Aust & Japan in equal 16th possy with a Total 3 medals, however Australia has two gold and Japan zero.

Anybody know the 'official' ruling on this? I propose a point system for each medal eg: 3, 2, 1 for gold, silver, bronze.

Originally Posted By: grungy-gonads
Love the way the Japanese media are painting the figure skating thing. One programme currently saying that Mao is in the better position for gold. Never mind she is 5 points behind. In previous competitions, the person in 2nd after the short programme has come back to win. So, it's best to be 2nd.
confused

Ya..I was talking with a few people today about this and they were saying the same thing...couldn't figure it out.. wakaranai

They weren't happy when I said the Korean girl was the Shaun White of women's figure skating and she would have to be disastrous to lose. I also rubbed it in that Canada got a gold, two silvers and a bronze today...haha.