• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Mr Wiggles
As for the Japanese coverage, whoever thought Arakawa Shizuka would be good on tv wants shooting. What a brick!

I think she looks a bit weird recently. Can't put my finger on it, her face too slim or something? Just strange somehow. Just me?

gday JA -here is an eigo link (I can`t understand that original link either) My wife told me about it.

Seriously though what do people think -? I know Japan has the culture of knocking down the nail that sticks out -

A lot of people have commented on a fb link to this story - sad - japan is too regimented/ structured etc etc but you know I think there are two sides to every story- wouldn`t any country`s Olympic delegate team tell this guy to clean up his dress sense a bit - ? maybe there is more to it behind the scenes.

http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/news/20100213p2a00m0na004000c.html

Domo arigatoo, bb!

He's a snowboarder!! What's the problem? Nothing about his dreadlocks, but worried about his trousers low and his tie not done up fully! Facing a longish flight I'd want to be comfortable too! (and ties do not equal comfortable in any sense!)

Surely there's more to be concerned about.

Regarding the olympics, he is there representing Japan, not himself, tuck in you shirt and straighten your tie. It has nothing to do with individuality. The Canadian team has lots of crazy individuals (bearded and dreadlocked), all of whom tucked in their shirts because they realize that they are there representing their country.

This guy also made some stupid and lame comments about how he didn't think the olympics were special and that it's just another event so he obviously doesn't grasp the idea that some things are bigger and more important then his ego. There are loads of other boarders in Japan who would love a shot at representing their country, let them go instead.

In the case of his comments, again, they knew what they were getting! He's obviously a loose canon. I agree, he should have been not selected in the first place.

However, he's a snowboarder and they are not known for respect for anyone else's rules. wink

In the female moguls, the other countries seemed to have team uniforms with their countries' colours. The Japanese girls were all wearing their individual sponsors' gear. It was my missus who noticed.

You would think what people wear during the event would matter more than what happens at the airport. I know which one normally gets more exposure.

As for Arakawa, I get nasty flashbacks of the dimmest students I used to teach when I did eikaiwa. Honda's robots have got more personality!

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Regarding the olympics, he is there representing Japan, not himself, tuck in you shirt and straighten your tie. It has nothing to do with individuality. The Canadian team has lots of crazy individuals (bearded and dreadlocked), all of whom tucked in their shirts because they realize that they are there representing their country.

This guy also made some stupid and lame comments about how he didn't think the olympics were special and that it's just another event so he obviously doesn't grasp the idea that some things are bigger and more important then his ego. There are loads of other boarders in Japan who would love a shot at representing their country, let them go instead.

C'mon, its snowboarding, not something serious like figure skating.
And no, the Olympics are NOT that special. Especially when you are up against someone like Shaun White who will win it all anyways.
I think Kokubo's attitude is much healthier that the last Olympic hopeful, Narita. Remember him? The nice, obidient one who had a fit at the bottom of the pipe when he fell? That kind of pressure has no place in snowboarding, let the other sports have it. The rest of the riders were hi-fiving each other at the bottom of the pipe, not taking it too seriously, and i think Kokubo (and his extensive riding overseas) understands that there is more to snowboarding that 'winning' or 'プãƒãƒŠã‚·ãƒ§ãƒŠãƒ«ã‚¤ã‚ºãƒ '.

First thing that came to my mind is "Maybe Japan is being a bit silly." Second thing that comes to mind is "how would other countries interpret that? - I dunno, maybe it IS simply innapropriate, snowboarder or not..."

Anyway the story was featured on yahoo (USA) briefly and I clicked on it. I wondered if it would be a 'look-how-uptight-those-wierd-Japanese-are' piece but actually they ended up scolding the snowboarder saying that he should have towed the line even though it goes against the grain of snowboarding coz he was representing his country.