• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ger, the "soccer" is not the only footie, and there are plenty of people who'd deny that it actually IS football (not me, you use your feet on the ball! - a ball is, by definition spherical, after all).

US and I believe Canada would look on gridiron as "football". Now, there's a namby-pamby "sport" - takes 3 hours to play 90 minutes? Gimme a break! Takes 2 teams (one offensive, one defensive) to get a start.

I cannot get into ice hockey, but then I cannot get into ice dance or halfpipe as sports, either. My main problem with these latter is that the result depends on a subjective judgement by a group of people called judges. Because these are humans, and have bias as part of their makeup, they are not definitive.

For me, and I know this will be howled down by plenty of people, a sport is one in which there is a winner determined by which competitor reaches the finish line first, is fastest, goes further, jumps higher, etc. Common thread here is that the result is measurable on a scale (be it time or distance) rather than on a subjective decision.

FFS, how synchronised sinking remains as a "sport" in the summer olympics is beyond me!

Originally Posted By: thursday
here it is
Quote:
Some people believe football is a matter of life and death. It is much, much more serious than that

courtesy Scouser. Thanks.

It's just a game.
just shows some people need to get a life

Doesn't bother me what anyone else thinks about footie.

I love it, that's all that matters to me.

And I have a very fine life, cheers.

friend

PS Jynxx it's a famous quote. I highly recommend - lightening up.

I'm not into sports that get's judged for the style element.

I think some people like to "judge" the "judges" or anticipate their results.

I really would like to be in that game doing it. I want to be a participant, not a spectator. Spectator telling any game's participant a sissy is a wanker.

Whatever happened to the "epic" snow conditions that we hear of (at least down here) all over the Northern Hemisphere? Why not just move the events to where the snow IS? Or is that too sensible?

Originally Posted By: JA
Whatever happened to the "epic" snow conditions that we hear of (at least down here) all over the Northern Hemisphere?

Whoa, stop the presses. For the record, Vancouver is brown and rainy pretty much all winter. All the fuss is over Cypress mountain which overlooks Vancouver. That's what you get when you plan winter olympic events overlooking the ocean. To make it look worse, the media take pics at the base and Cypress sits pretty much right at the snowline most of the time. They'll deal with it.

Now, Whistler -the olympic co-host- is where the "epic" stories come from and they're well-deserved, (though I'd take Japan powder over Whistler powder more often than not). This year Whistler's had almost 10 meters of total snowfall and have a good 3 meter base. That's about as much as Niseko.

Yeah, the real story is that Cypress mountain was ever picked as a venue in the first place. It was kind of a predictable result. I can't believe they are actually considering flying snow up to the top of the mountain in helicopters. There are some serious issues regarding priority when these kinds of decisions are being made.

Well, I didn't quite say making stuff up, but it's very believable that there are big mud puddles at the bottom of the lifts but 2 meters of snow at 'mid mountain' at a place like Cypress or Whistler too for that matter. (Bear in mind though that when resorts say 'mid mountain' it's usually pretty near the top). The press shows the mud puddles of course if that's the story they want.

Anyway, seeding the sky sounds like a good idea.

Originally Posted By: ger
Anyway, seeding the sky sounds like a good idea.

That has been trialled here as a way to encourage rain in the "non-metropolitan" areas - you know, those places that grow all the food that city folk think comes from a shop! Hasn't been a huge success because there are conditions of atmosphere and stuff that make it not especially viable. Might work better in snowy country, but I'd suspect that the conditions would have to be right for it to be snow and not just more rain!
Originally Posted By: ger
Originally Posted By: JA
Whatever happened to the "epic" snow conditions that we hear of (at least down here) all over the Northern Hemisphere?

Whoa, stop the presses. For the record, Vancouver is brown and rainy pretty much all winter. All the fuss is over Cypress mountain which overlooks Vancouver. That's what you get when you plan winter olympic events overlooking the ocean. To make it look worse, the media take pics at the base and Cypress sits pretty much right at the snowline most of the time. They'll deal with it.

Now, Whistler -the olympic co-host- is where the "epic" stories come from and they're well-deserved, (though I'd take Japan powder over Whistler powder more often than not). This year Whistler's had almost 10 meters of total snowfall and have a good 3 meter base. That's about as much as Niseko.

Ger..they could have held it at Grouse (lol) which does in fact overlook the city. I used to night ski at Cypress all the time and usually had decent snow albeit icy. Whistler is hard to beat but I will agree that I prefer Japan's (specifically Hokkaido) snow conditions.

Also, as being from Vancouver Island...Mt Washington should be mentioned....HUGE volumes of snow fall up there and often boasts the most snow of any resort worldwide. Seriously!

Mt. Washington
Originally Posted By: Go Native
Vancouver Island is awesome. If I hadn't found my little patch of paradise here I reckon I'd be there.

My wife wants to live there in the worst way. We were looking at properties on our last visit last summer....that paradise certainly comes at a premium. Like you I have my own little bit of paradise going on here in Izu.

mybeach.jpg

Tatado Beach! I love that place... I'm probably somewhere in that picture in fact! Sights like that always remind me of why I've lived around here for so long! I usually head out of town once the summer kicks in though... crowds are a bit much to deal with.