• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
LOL, I love it when guys who probably can't even skate criticize hockey players for not being tough enough. Without a doubt hockey is both the most exciting sport to play and watch. Fastest sport on two feet groovy

Abosolutely. But I think you have to play it. I think it loses a lot in translation to the TV set. Bottom line is "Fastest sport on two feet." It's an adrenalin thing.

Yeah, watching it on TV certainly isn't the best way to enjoy it. I didn't really mean watching it on television though... live matches are the way to go. Almost all sports suck on TV wink

I had played hockey for 18 seasons straight before coming to Japan at quite a competitive level as well... now whenever I go home I join the oldtimers league for a game or two. Those old guys usually skate my legs off! A bit embarrassing but still fun!

Not sure that you are winning any friends, Sarge!

If you were to argue that gridiron players need to harden up a bit, play the whole game with no helmets and minimal padding, then I'd likely agree with you - but that would be a bit of a troll.

Truly, guys, truly! I would never say something like that!

Originally Posted By: ger
Maybe curling could learn a few lessons from boarder cross or ice hockey to make it more exciting. Full contact curling or something like that. Or maybe they could wear beach volleyball bikinis.

we used to play "Human Curling" when we were kids down at the ice rink. We used to pair up in teams and one guy would squat down on his skates and his partner would push him down the curling rink, the closest to the centre won lol

Ice Hockey = Fast and Furious !

I admire the cool head in a game like that. I can't skate. I hate falling on hard flat surface like with ice skates, skateboards, etc. Just watching people skate backwards (which I can't do) is WOW.

I reckon being an umpire in that game needs nerve of steel.

Russia vs. Canada game - not gonna miss that one.

I like ice hockey, never played it but watched a fair bit. My big brother used to play when we were kids. Any team game thats fast and competitive, I generally like, throw in a bit of a scrap and it's gold standard entertainment!! smile

Originally Posted By: Black Mountain
Yeah, watching it on TV certainly isn't the best way to enjoy it. I didn't really mean watching it on television though... live matches are the way to go. Almost all sports suck on TV wink
I had played hockey for 18 seasons straight before coming to Japan at quite a competitive level as well... now whenever I go home I join the oldtimers league for a game or two. Those old guys usually skate my legs off! A bit embarrassing but still fun!

Hey hey...I played a little....AAA rep. hockey all the way up to Jr. A but finally succumbed to all the injuries. Coming to Japan I played half a season for the Nippon Seishi Cranes OB team in Fukushima and played and coached quite a bit up in Hokkaido.
Hockey these days dips into ski season too much so I've hung up the blades.

I'm pretty sure Sarge's comments were tongue-in-cheek... evilgrin

I can see the attraction of Ice Hockey for those who want to release their frustration from a mundane routine by watching a buncha overweight, overpaid, over padded jouveniles trying to punch each other's lights out through gloves and body armour. Very entertaining.

Whereas football... that is more than life or death as the saying goes.

Yeah with football all the overweight, jouveniles trying to punch each other's lights out can be found in the stands and not on the field lol

Snow conditions are not looking good in BC currently. Many venues have sketchy snow cover.

Originally Posted By: BagOfCrisps
Waits for torrent of abuse from footie haters!

Americans especially and some Canadians would say soccer's gay, but that's just stupid. You won't here that from me. I've lost my culture and with it, my subjectivity. I simply tell it like it is.

Footie: Good sport. Fun to play. Good to watch. Same basic idea as ice hockey. Pass the ball, score a goal. The beautiful thing about soccer though is that it's simple. You don't need to spend loads of cash on equipment which means that it can be played anywhere eg. in rich countries or poor countries, it's all the same. It democratic. Plus there's not really a learning curve in that any one can have lots of fun playing it no matter what you're ability. As far as "more than life and death" or whatever that stuff is that's just culture crap. That's politics, not sport.

Ice hockey: It's too hard to play. You need lots of equipment and then you have to learn how to use it. --how to skate etc. etc. But the rewards are far greater. It's a sport for GODS, not mere mortals. Sure, that might sound ridiculous, but having skates + ice + a stick and a puck means you can do the impossible. The mere speed gives it an intensity that can't be matched (and can't be appreciated if you've only seen it on TV a few times).
Unfortunately though, they sell the sport by emphasizing the violence. That does a real disservice to the sport coz that's not what it's about IMO. Actually, I like olympic hockey better than anything. Not just coz it's the best hockey players in the world, but because it's cleaner and the bigger ice surface allows talent to shine more IMO.
As far as hockey players being jouveniles? -- could be true. Overpaid? -- Maybe. Overweight? -- Wrong sport. That's baseball.