Things that make you go WTF!!

This morning I had a very interesting drive to work.

I had just come over the crest of a hill on the main (busy) road and there was a dog jogging up the middle of the road. I immediately slowed down as did the car in front of me, hazard lights on ready to pull over and catch it to get it off the road (as I thought is was a stray) AS I got closer I noticed that a ute on the other side of the road, I thought, was also pulling over. As I got closer I noticed that the dog was actually chained to the back of the ute and the driver of the ute was casually driving along the road with the dog tied to the back.

PANIC set in had the dog fallen off and the driver didn't realise?? Was it a stray dog he had caught and it was vicious and he had had to chain it to the back of the ute?? Anyway the car in front of me did a u turn and I followed. Please remember in between all this happening this is a BUSY ROAD where cars are doing up to 100klm were swerving around the dog onto the wrong side of the road.

The car in front swerved into the oncoming traffic to stop them and then pulled up next to the offending ute and was yelling at him to pull over, which he didn't so the other guy pulled up in front to the ute to make him stop. WITH THAT the dog ute rammed the other car and pushed it along the road. YES I am still behind stopping traffic in my car and YES with all this going on the distressed dog was still trotting down the middle of the road, temp around 28o.

With that everyone, including me, jumped out of their cars. ALL the traffic is now stopped both ways, the 2 drivers are have a yelling match in the middle of the road, I am trying to rescue the dog. With that the owner of the dog turned his attention on me and lashed me with a lot of words I later had to look up in the wikipedia. I think I gave back as good as I was getting because now there was a crowd and I was feeling pretty brave that I had witnesses if he hit me PLUS when it comes to animal cruelty I will take anyone one. After asking him if he had a mental illness or perhaps he had been drinking he replied

"He couldn't understand what the big deal was about he was just taking his dog for a run."

The police were called he took off with his dog we made statements to the police and they have since reported that he has been charged it a string of offence's.

WTF clap veryshocked

....and better picked up than left on the side of the road!

We once had a Rhodesian Ridgeback that got a run along side of the ute once a month. No lead, and through the scrub though - he loved it - none of us could run fast enough to give him a work out!

However tied to the back of a ute driving down a main road - HELLO! What kind of lunatic would put a dog through that!

Originally Posted By: joshnii
(ute?)

Utility vehicle, best known as a general purpose vehicle for country people in Oz. The original was a Ford Falcon Utility in the early 60's, I believe.

Great for carrying stuff (animals, hay, beer, posts, fencing gear, rubbish to the tip, swags, beer, ... oh, did I mention beer?) from town to the farm, and around the place.
Examples are ...

Navara_m_m.jpg
Nissan Navara
whiteholdenute.jpg
Holden Ute
FALCONUTE_STORY_-_DEEP_HORIZONTAL_FF2654
Ford Ute

A true ute. It has a body like a sedan, motor and two seats, plus a flat tray for carrying stuff.

Lots of these are sold to tradesmen (plumbers and carpenters, etc) because of the space available to carry all their gear.

I have a Dark Blue version of the one below, but the "bucket" rear has been replaced with a flat tray and drop sides.

sedoublec_thumb.jpg Nissan Navara Dual Cab

Originally Posted By: JA
A true ute. It has a body like a sedan, motor and two seats, plus a flat tray for carrying stuff.

Lots of these are sold to tradesmen (plumbers and carpenters, etc) because of the space available to carry all their gear.

I have a Dark Blue version of the one below, but the "bucket" rear has been replaced with a flat tray and drop sides.

sedoublec_thumb.jpg Nissan Navara Dual Cab

JA, that looks like it has 5 seats. You gone soft?

Americans call it a pickup.

Why Aussies wanted to put a tray on back of a passenger vehicle is a mistery to me.

JA I had a Holden FC ute.

I think it was a '58

holden_ek_ute.jpg

z.about.com/d/trucks/1/0/F/8/1/holden_ek_ute.jpg

Originally Posted By: Jynxx
Americans call it a pickup.
Why Aussies wanted to put a tray on back of a passenger vehicle is a mistery to me.

No mystery - the bucket stops you carrying overhanging stuff, stuff that's too long/wide for the built-in bucket. It also gives you a solid headboard and bar on which to tie long stuff to.
steeltray.jpg

I've built a bow which can replace the rear drop, so I have two points of attachment for long items. You cannot do that with a standard bucket back.

My mate has built a "slide-on" which is useful instead of a caravan. Sorta like the one below (but a sleeping/cooking unit).
ute_tray_toolboxes.jpg

Makes the ute a whole lot more "utility" than having the bucket.

Body roll is dependent on speed and the load. A high load will impart roll no matter what body type the vehicle is. Higher speed = more roll.

What's not to understand, thurs?

If I have a half cubic metre of loam to collect for the lawn, or a couple of 8m lengths of 90mm x 90mm RHS for a building project, then I'd hate to try to put that in the boot of your average Camry!