Breaking news

Originally Posted By: BBC
Internet search company Google says it may end operations in China over alleged breaches of the e-mail accounts of Chinese human rights activists.

It said it had found a "sophisticated and targeted attack on our corporate infrastructure originating from China".

It did not specifically accuse China's government but said it was no longer willing to censor its Chinese site's results, as the government requires.

Google said the decision may mean it has to shut the site, set up in 2006.

It was also discovered the accounts of dozens of US, China and Europe-based Gmail users, who are "advocates of human rights in China", appeared to have been "routinely accessed by third parties".

It said these accounts had not been accessed through any security breach at Google, but "most likely via phishing scams or malware placed on users' computers".

Originally Posted By: V3
Google has issued a shock announcement that it is to end censoring the results of its Google.cn search engine after a series of hacking attacks that it says was aimed at human rights activists.

Could be huge ramifications for the internet in China.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been advised by my Internet domain regostrar, that China has pulled all "freign" registration of .cn domains. That means that non china residents cannot register a chinese domain any more.

So, I cannot register a .cn domain to sell product into china via a "local" presence.

The more modern and financially well off the Chinese become the more the government has to tighten the screws to try and keep control. Hopefully we'll see an end sooner rather than later to what remains one of the most brutal, totalitarian regimes in the world today.

i remeber seeing a documentary about Google when they first cracked the deal with China. There was a court case in the U.S. over it. Something about breaching human rights laws.

Google obiviously one that one.

those **** Chinese, they need to go work in the salt mines themselves. Oh shit, I'm being monitored, take it back take it back. Fingers crossed so it doesn't count.

rollabout

Who saved the world? Dunno, they all look the same to me. rollabout

Originally Posted By: Mantas
i remeber seeing a documentary about Google when they first cracked the deal with China. There was a court case in the U.S. over it. Something about breaching human rights laws.
Google obiviously one that one.

Wasn't that Yahoo? They provided some user information to the CN Gov and the person in question got a long jail term. Yahoo later gave some compensation to the relatives of the victim.

We don't talk serious crimes here. An online sentence such as "I support free elections" can get you 5 years.

Added later:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yahoo!#Imprisonment_of_Chinese_dissidents

BTW, those in China can't open that link. Technically Hong Kong is China, but we have (luckily) no net-censorship here.

I've met a Tibetan nun who spent 19 years in a Chinese labour camps for just attending a peaceful rally in support of better human rights. She was raped and tortured numerous times during that time just for good measure as well. thursday would probably find that particularly humorous rolleyes

I used to be the president of the Tibet Support Group at Melbourne University and the media officer for the Australian Tibet Council so was pretty involved in the whole human rights in Tibet thing. I've met a lot of Tibetans over the years and heard many horrific stories. I even got to have a personal meeting with the Dalai Lama and although I haven't got a religious bone in my body that was an amazing experience.

The indifference to the whole issue by Chinese like thursday frankly makes me sick.

whatever thursday. If I truly expressed what I think of people like you I'd probably be banned from this forum so since you couldn't care less why post?

muika not so active anymore, difficult when you live in a land where no one knows anything about what's happening in the rest of the world. I've also been very active over the years in environmental stuff and was president of an environmental group in Melbourne. I help out with some environmental stuff around Niseko (when the snow melts!).

I helped organise his first visit to Melbourne and he stayed at the house of the president of the Australia Tibet Council. We had some drinks and nibbles at the house and I met him there.

Unfortunately as the West has tried to develop greater economic ties with China the whole issue of human rights in the country has been swept under the table. It's not just the Tibetans either, there are something like 31 minority groups in China and all of them are treated abysmally. But money and greed it seems will always triumph over basic human rights just about anywhere in the world.

Quote:
But money and greed it seems will always triumph over basic human rights just about anywhere in the world.

Yes sad but true.
On the subject of money and greed, I get increasingly fed up with the lengths some people go to and the confrontations brought about by $$. Got enough, decided I'm don't want to be part of all that lot. I think I recall you saying the same kind of thing GN.
Originally Posted By: thursday
GN, you don't know me, you don't know anything about me. Why're you getting personal? rollabout

I ain't even typical Chinese nor typical HK. Just tar yourself with your own brush.

thursday you always go out your way to make fun of threads like this. To put down people who seem to care about things like human rights. Either you're purposely trying to anger those of us who care about such things or you're just a typical rich prick who couldn't care less about anyone else on the planet.
As I said why do you post on threads like this when you obviously couldn't care about the subject being discussed beyond making fun of those that who do?

And thursday your post above just proves the point. You only see the world in terms of money and wealth. That's fine. Just why make light of other issues that plague China like systemic human rights abuses?