Cortina (Hakuba) after a dump - not open till 11am?

It's supposed to snow 50cms from tonight through Wednesday, so I thought Thursday morning would be good conditions. But someone said Cortina never opens till 11am after a dump. Is that true?

It's also supposed to snow 15cms on Thursday. Would I be better off going Friday, knowing for certain it will open on time? Or will it be all cut up by then and 15cm isn't enough to repair it? Also supposed to snow another 15cms on Friday, so visibility will probably be just as bad Friday as Thursday. What should I do?

I think rider69's right - the sides of the valley at Cortina (by the higher lifts) are potentially avalanche prone, and so I guess they don't want anyone there until they are sure there's no danger of a slide onto the piste. Or at least that's one opinion I heard when I was there recently.

SdS

Rode Cortina on Jan 6th with 20-30cms of fresh which I consider to be in the dump range. Main lift opened at 8:30am. Further up the hill the lifts opened at 9 and the Giant Course at 10am which me a few mates were the first down.....sweet lines! Plus ducked the ropes and had the ridge at the top of the giant to ourselves all morning. The patrol are alot more chilled out at Cortina this season. They were absolute nazis in the past.

Originally Posted By: rider69
This season many people know about the trees and they are open. By 11am you will find Cortina tracked out.

Yes. We were at Happo on Dec 30th and we were talking to Australian tourist on the gondola who skied the trees at Cortina the previous day. The foreign owner of the lodge he was staying at has been telling all and sundry.

In my experience Cortina is never crowded and I have had fresh lines basically all day. Never been there on a weekend which I'm guessing is a different story tho. Some of my best ever days have been at Cortina....deep powder and steep lines!

Originally Posted By: Mudguts
Plus ducked the ropes and had the ridge at the top of the giant to ourselves all morning.

You ducked a rope? You heathen scum, get out of Japan NOW! We don't want your sort here!

Originally Posted By: Mudguts
The patrol are alot more chilled out at Cortina this season. They were absolute nazis in the past.

Maybe dey is chill because dey smoke da 'erb...

update

Right-hand top lift didn't open till 10am though day before's dump was good but not epic. Left-hand top lift (the best one) wasn't yet open around 9.20am. Not sure when it opened but definitely by 10.

More people than I expected, runs quickly semi-cut up. Heard people say the day before was dead. Maybe Fridays are always more busy - mental note: never go skiing on Friday, Saturday or Sunday.

Everyone was treein' it, no sign of Ski Patrol though some cat track drop-offs had "Keep Out. High avalanche risk"-type signs. Back of top lift sign said "Not patrolled... blar, blar, blar... please ask staff for backcountry gates." You end up next to a lift which is in Norikura (not included on the 3,300 yen Cortina day pass - 4,000 gets both) though the liftie didn't check my ticket. Probably only a short walk along the bottom the the first Cortina lift.

Pros

Great trees, some steep stuff, some ungroomed runs. Central base in Green Plaza Hotel. General olde world feel. Hot liftie on main quad.

Cons

Paper lift ticket, hard to get out of pocket. No gondola. Last bus back to station 3.45pm.

a Cortina tree run

tripler_14.JPG

you should have taken the shuttle bus back to Hakuba - it picks you up and drops you off at your accommodation. It's 6000yen and includes a liftpass, 1000yen lunch coupon and free onsen.