Ah yes the good old barter system...if only it was effective in Australia, I've tried a couple of times! And JA, same thing happened to my mum when she came to visit me whilst I was living in Canada, though not to that extreme. When she arrived the aussie dollar dropped to like 70 Cents Canadian, then just after she left it jumped up to like 95cents! Would of saved her a lot of money.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the heasd up everyone as I would have been a bit stuffed (my cards are Maestro). My normal travel plan involves just turning up and withdrawing enough cash for say a week from the nearest ATM. This has worked in South America, Tanzania, Europe and SE asia. That way when your mugged you don't loose too much cash at one time....

Wouldn't have expected it to be harder to get cash in Japan than in a small village in africa!

Anyway. as a rought guide so I know how much Yen to get how much is say dinner pp. at an average restaurant in Niseko? And the price of beer?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: thursday
have 5000 for a decent dinner 3000 for the beers. Per night. Daytime not included.

But you can do it on a budget if you want ...

Breakfast stuff for our lot at SeicoMart last night cost 1750. That was for 10 eggs, 3 packs of bacon, 3 bags of bread (5 or 6 very fat slices in each bag), a pack of mini croissants, 2x 1 litre milks and some juice - I think that was it). Fed 6 people for a hearty breakfast and lots left over at under 300Yen per person.

I've paid between 850 - 2000 for lunch out depending on where and what.

How many beers are you HAVING Thursday!
If you are on a budget alcohol is CHEAP at the supermarket, and reasonable at the bars. Compared to Perth prices at least.
have 5000 for a decent dinner 3000 for the beers. Per night. Daytime not included.

at 350 from the vending machine, not many.

Me thinks Thursday is going to have a couple of beers it my maths are right around 9.5 rollabout Go you good thing after 1 I am under the table.

Reality has hit my nephew with only 3 weeks to go.

He has decided that he will only need a to take a little cash with him as he will get some more from the ATM's when he needs it. YES we have told him 100 times that cash is the king in Japan. He was quite shocked and stunned to learn that he wouldn't be able to get of the flight and wonder up to one of several ATM's at Chitose Airport and get some cash out.

After telling him that he HAS TO HAVE CASH AGAIN - he simply replied "but Japan is electronic's capital of the world are you telling me they don't have ATM's. Oh yeah this trip is going to be GOLD!!!! lol

Haven't told him yet that there is no Gloria Jean's in Niseko!! 1 shock at a time.

Originally Posted By: snowhuntress

Haven't told him yet that there is no Gloria Jean's in Niseko!!

He'll be OK, there are a heap of Starbucks. Same crappy coffee, different name.

Yeah, my bad. I was talking in general in Japan - too much lightly chilled Verdelho before posting.

The alternative might have to be a bottle of instant craffee (crap coffee). Although the King Bell did a great coffee when we were there a couple of years ago. (and a dash of Godiva made it sooo much nicer!)

You betcha! 'Twas superb - the reason I HAD to have another (and another ...)

If you can find it, the winery is "de Bortoli", and I know they send casks to Japan because I saw some in Kyoto in October. Their "chateau cardboard" range is quite good, and reasonably priced. Not sure if it is available in Niseko, though.

I switched to Latte's while in Niseko - and they were not half bad - under the Gondola, A Bu Cha Bakery and A Bu Cha2, The Vale, and another half a dozen locations besides all did reasonable Latte's.

I saved the Long Blacks til I was home though - nothing worse than a dodgy coffee taken black ...there is just no room for error!

i am still amazed at just how many people are totally clueless when it comes to money in japan. some girls in our lodge turned up with about $200aud worth of yen between them, they paid for hire gear in cash then realised they had 800 yen left for a week! they promptly returned the hire gear to be able to afford to eat and paid via c/c

Originally Posted By: Foxpuppet
i am still amazed at just how many people are totally clueless when it comes to money in japan. some girls in our lodge turned up with about $200aud worth of yen between them, they paid for hire gear in cash then realised they had 800 yen left for a week! they promptly returned the hire gear to be able to afford to eat and paid via c/c

slap

I talked the young'un through it all getting there, while there and coming home so he was aware of all the traps. The 3000 per adult for the Limousine Bus from Haneda to Narita might catch some unawares too - although they can card that.
  • 4 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: brynski
Will I be able to use my Aussie Visa card most places?

No idea about YOUR card, but MY card (Visa, HSBC Hong Kong) has 'issues'.

I paid my place in that agents place (no problems). Later that evening I went to an Izakaya in that new building right side up the hill (wow, great food!!!), no problems there either.

Next morning I wanted to rent my ski stuff and buy the lift pass near the slope - both did NOT work. However my wife's card (also a HK card) was ok.

Naturally I thought my card got maybe blocked due to out of country use, so that evening went back to the same Izakaya place. No problem again.

And I always had problems with buying JR tickets.

My advice is: do not rely on it if you just have one card and prepare cash for emergencies.

And just one side note: 7Eleven and the Post Office's ATM can take Maestro/EC cards. In my case my EC card got me ¥50,000 in 7Eleven. 50,000 is the maximum for one withdraw, but you can do a few withdrawals in a row. That is good, however later I discovered my Postbank has a €5.00 fee per withdrawal, still better then no cash.