thought this might be interesting to students and instructors alike.

i've worked at Japanese resorts as an instructor now for 4 seasons, going on 5. In that time, i have seen many, many odd things done by Japanese instructors that don't jive with what i was taught in Canada by the instructor courses there. Akward teaching strategies, over-complicated explanation, 2-hour long meeting talking about technical points, and an obsession on carving.

All of those things were given a new perspective two days ago when i learned a very interesting and bizarre fact

the Japan Snowboard Instructor Association (JSBA) does not really teach instructors how to instruct. Literally.

In Canada, we are on-hill for the majority of instructor training, learning the skill progression for different techniques, as well as different strategies for teaching them.. There is also some classroom time and a written test, but the big thing to pass is the practical, on-snow exam where we not only have to demonstrate different techniques, but teach them in a mock lesson.

In Japan, the emphasis is on riding skill, and the actual teaching is mostly ignored. It is taught in the classroom, but there is no actual on-snow practice. Japanese instructors are not taught how to instruct, and when they do, they are pretty much winging it.

Not to say that all Japanese instructors are inept, nor that all non-Japanese instructors are amazing, but the fact that JS(BS) qualifies instructors without actually teaching them how to 'instruct' still boggles my mind.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting .... but unfortunatley not so suprising. There was an article along similiar lines in this years issue of Soul Slide, which contrasted the teaching styles of ski instructors in the US vs Japan. The magazine is mostly in Japanese, but this paricular article was tranlated into a 2 page English article as well. Found it a good read.

Interesting indeed.

Son #2 is intending on doing an 8 week instructors course in Niseko next season - but from all the information I have been given they do a lot of on snow train the trainer type stuff. They are not a Japanese company though.

Was impressed with my Japanese snowboard instructor here this week - she taught me a few times 2 years ago - and we went back as a group of 3 for some form improvements yesterday. She had our level pegged just from watching us do the short few turns from the Ace Family lift to the Ace Quad lift, and formatted the lesson accordingly. I also noticed that she took us through drill after drill ensuring we were all in control of our boards using a variety of riding styles and techniques (tweaking as she went). The satisfied we were up to it - off through the tree's. Absolutely nothing lacking with her 'teaching skills' whatsoever - she even gave us the information verbally, pictorially and a demo. So someone is doing stuff right, even if JSBA aren't.

Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Son #2 is intending on doing an 8 week instructors course in Niseko next season

That's probably the New Zealand Snowsports Instructors Association (NZSIA). Is it ski or boarding? Ski is probably more useful as 80% of lessons are for skiing. On the other hand a friend of mine took the NZSIA level 1 boarding in NZ and has instructed in Japan for the last 4 seasons.

Tripler, yep that's the one. With Snow Trainers. The course gets them ready for L1 and L2, with a supposed 80% pass rate for Level 2.

Boarding. That's his big love.

He CAN ski, but basic, although he is out tonight getting a ski lesson. Along with the two youngest.

Not sure whether he see's this as a major career path, or just a good way to spend his late teens and early twenties. But there are worse things they could do right?!

But there are worse things they could do right?!

Hell, Yeah! Do I not wish I was that age again (oh, and know what I now know!) so I could have started skiing earlier than at 49.

You and I both JA.

I am just glad that we can give him the options we never had.

Seems to have serve you OK hey MikePOW! wink

I taught swimming and life guarded my way thru uni - don't do it now. If that is all he gets from it then I am all good with that. thumbsup There's less enoyable ways to earn a buck.

good that he can ski too as if he get an instructor job he'll probably have to do ski lessons too even if he's qualified for boarding. I'm now a much better boarder than I am skier but I think it's a shame if people can't ski at all. Like having an automatic-only driving licence.

The Snowtrainers course is run by a guy who examined me in NZ. he's a great instructor and it looks like a great course.

If you want to actually work as an instructor, skiing is the way to go, I am dual qualified and very rarely teach snowboarding.

And regarding the JSBA/Whatever the ski one is called, a friend did the level 1 and there is no examined teaching element at all. The teaching style that was taught would also be considered slightly questionable by either of the systems I've worked in (NZSIA/PSIA).

The only thing that is hard is falling a hundred times and at the end of the day with bruises like you had a martial arts comp. Big bath and Voltarin !

I started snowboarding at an age when JA started and I'd love to be an instructor. Want to get an Austrian qualification - As long as I get to do my own boarding. Often when one is in that industry you like, you get less time doing what you like to do.

Teaching is great - better when it's out of the classroom and have people who wants to learn.

interesting what you say, Jynxx. I sometimes ponder what the perfect job for a chronic snow addict is. I'd say barman because they don't have to start work till after the lifts close, leaving them all day to do their own skiing. But in Japan if your Japanese isn't good you're probably more sure to gain employment as an instructor. Downside - you have to nursemaid crying kids all day and maybe not get to do any of your own skiing. Upside - you're a cool ski instructor who all the girls want to sleep with. It's a tough one...

lol

Hate to be in a smoky place so the bar is out for me.

I'm really getting over girls, not as interested. Weird when they seem to be more interested when I'm older. My missus tells me I get prettier. WTF Was I that ugly in my younger pics?

Kids are OK by me. Yeah, tough choice. Make lot's of money and not much time, or lot's of time and no money.

don't know about Germany (or are you in Austria?) but a lot of Japanese bars are going smoke-free since last season. I saw it in Ireland and now apparently England is too. Isn't the rest of Europe? I'm sure France is but then they never obey their own rules, which is why I love 'em. Vive la France!

Germany (here in Munich) is one of the smokey places.

People smoke walking on the street, restaurants ... I think they have just changed the law.

To describe what I smell of Munich :

ciggi smoke + sugar coated almond + german white sausage

The obedience to law (or what not to do) here is a bit like the Japanese.

Actually, there are similarities about Japanese and Germans.

After all, the first Japanese constitution was modelled after the German.

Interesting indeed.
Was impressed with my Japanese snowboard instructor here this week - she taught me a few times 2 years ago - and we went back as a group of 3 for some form improvements yesterday. She had our level pegged just from watching us do the short few turns from the Ace Family lift to the Ace Quad lift, and formatted the lesson accordingly. I also noticed that she took us through drill after drill ensuring we were all in control of our boards using a variety of riding styles and techniques (tweaking as she went). The satisfied we were up to it - off through the tree's. Absolutely nothing lacking with her 'teaching skills' whatsoever - she even gave us the information verbally, pictorially and a demo. So someone is doing stuff right, even if JSBA aren't.

Thinking about doing some lessons while I'm there. MB, is this someone you'd recommend? What company?

sent you a PM with specific's SantaCruz.

We have used NISS, NBS and NAC over the few years we have been coming to Niseko - and found them all very reputable and helpful.

The great thing I find with using a variety of instructors is they all give you something different.

Originally Posted By: Jimmer
You'd think so, but you'd be amazed how hard some people find it!!

It depends a little on previous experience.

As a Motorcycle rider, it took me a while to get used to turning. I tended to lean the body to (and hence put weight onto the ski on) the inside of the turn. Once I accepted that the instructor (who is my partner) actually knew what she was talking about and tried it, everything else has fallen into place! I have heard that water skiers tend to fund skiing on snow difficult. I don't know, just what I've been told by a few who were water and transferred to snow.

Now, I am sweating here in 37degree and 45% humidity wishing I was about to take over from MB at Niseko.

As a retired teacher (and an ex-army instructor) I reckon I could go with ski instructing. You might not get a lot of time to yourself, but at least you'd be out there, sliding! So far, the most time I've had on snow in a year was 2000, when we had 2 weeks at Jindabyne (sliding at Thredbo and PB) plus 10 days in NZ South Island. That took me up to about 17 days or so for the year. Man, How I'd like to be able to ski for a season, every day for a season! dance
Originally Posted By: JA
Originally Posted By: Jimmer
You'd think so, but you'd be amazed how hard some people find it!!

It depends a little on previous experience.

As a Motorcycle rider, it took me a while to get used to turning. I tended to lean the body to (and hence put weight onto the ski on) the inside of the turn. Once I accepted that the instructor (who is my partner) actually knew what she was talking about and tried it, everything else has fallen into place! I have heard that water skiers tend to fund skiing on snow difficult. I don't know, just what I've been told by a few who were water and transferred to snow.

Now, I am sweating here in 37degree and 45% humidity wishing I was about to take over from MB at Niseko.

As a retired teacher (and an ex-army instructor) I reckon I could go with ski instructing. You might not get a lot of time to yourself, but at least you'd be out there, sliding! So far, the most time I've had on snow in a year was 2000, when we had 2 weeks at Jindabyne (sliding at Thredbo and PB) plus 10 days in NZ South Island. That took me up to about 17 days or so for the year. Man, How I'd like to be able to ski for a season, every day for a season! dance

Waterskiers are a nightmare to teach! Completely oppostite movement patterns to snow skiing.

I am loving instruction at the moment, probably got about 230 days on snow last year (Hirafu and Remarkables) and the rest of the time I am on holiday in various fun places (Morocco and Aus last year, India and South America this year).

And as for time to ski for yourself, in Niseko we have nightskiing, even after a six hour day teaching, you can still go for a ski. smile