Quote:
Blizzards, whiteouts and temperatures plunging to -17c (1F), but they couldn't be happier. "It's better than Utah" declares the CairnGorm's snow patrol, as Scotland's ski resorts revel in perfect powdery snow.

The best conditions for more than a decade have sparked a boom at Aviemore, Scotland's biggest resort, where 20,000 skiers have so far taken to the slopes, four times the number at this time last year. Beaming Scottish tourist officials report that ski accommodation bookings are up 500%. At Ben Nevis, the highest skiing location in the country, resort manager Heather Negus said it expected to be "mobbed out" after slashing the cost of a one-day pass including lifts, tuition and ski kit to £23.50 – for this weekend only.

The heavy snow is also drawing record numbers of skiers to England's "premier ski slope" at Yad Moss in Cumbria. There is only one ageing tow-rope, and it's staffed entirely by volunteers, but the three pistes have never been so busy.

Usually it's open just a few days a year, with grass poking through in places, but conditions this week were "utterly fantastic", said skier and snowboarder Georgie Cray, 24. "There's deep powder and you can even potter off piste." Visitors are being told to dig their own parking space out of the snow – and to expect "serious queues" this weekend.

The early snow and persistent sub-zero temperatures enabled Scotland's main resorts – Aviemore, Glenshee, Glencoe and Nevis – to open much earlier than usual and enjoy a bumper Christmas season. Angela Dingwall, general manager of the Glencoe resort, said: "This year was the first time since 1999 that we opened before the New Year. We haven't had any thaw at all, with lots of powder and only the odd patch of ice. It's picture postcard stuff."

Only three months ago Glencoe's skiing facilities, the oldest in Scotland, was threatened with closure after several years of mild winters and thin trading conditions. Its owners put it up for sale, and only a last-minute takeover in November allowed it to open for the 2009/10 season.

Aviemore, the best-known resort, suffered as its 1960s-built centre dated quickly and unreliable snow meant it struggled to draw visitors. But this winter the Highland resorts are celebrating a "perfect blizzard" as the high euro deters British skiers from the Alps while the heavy early snowfalls attract some, for the first time, to Scotland.

Didn't know about that ski resort in Cumbria lol
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glenshee- 300m

Cairngorms- 700m

Glencoe- 700m (if there is snow down to the car park at valley floor)

Nevis Range- 540m

The Lecht- 200m

Yesterday was -22.6 in the Western Highlands of Scotland, only .3 degrees warmer than the South Pole, which was a toasty -22.9!! omg

I'm sceptical of the Glencoe figure tbh. Usually Glencoe doesn't have the run open down to the car park, maybe different this year with the snow. Access is usually by lift from the car park to the bottom of the main slopes

hijack somewhat

Snow forecast here in my part of Wales for Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, so a chance for me to get my season report up and running.

Best conditions I've skied in Wales, and it looks set to continue through January. Not a bad winter to be home smile

Vertical here is:

Pen-y-Fan peak down to the Nant Sere river 360 m

(this is the steepest stuff)

Pen-y-Fan peak down to the Llyn Cwm Llwch (lake) 330 m

(the most scenic)

Corn Du peak down to the car park 439 m

(this is the home run)

8 days skiing so far this winter smile

Oh and the apres is top notch. Aberdare is known as the Las Vegas of the Valleys. wink

Just turned on BBC to be greeted to reports of the snow in the UK and they showed a shot of the ancient pull-you-up lift at Aviemore. Don't know what its called. Couldn't help laughing.

Good for them though they must be well pleased.

Lots of Poma's and T Bars in Australia.

Didn't notice any in Zermatt.

They used to strike fear into my heart at the mere sight of them - but got them sorted now thumbsup

Thing I don't like about them is you can't 'rest on the lifts' - you actually need to take a break every now and again.

MB, I recall a pair of paralell T-bars in Zermatt up at the top of Klein Matterhorn on the Theodulgletsher.

At least there was when I was there in 04

Looks like there are too!

That is on the Glacier - the other lifts around there are summer only lifts - we didn't go there....everywhere else but not that spot!

Heading up the Klein Matterhorn the only direction we went was over into Cervinia for a decent pasta! Was blurry BITTER weather up there!

That's where I cracked a rib this time last year.

Originally Posted By: tripler
Originally Posted By: 1
How does it compare with Niseko Mamabear? wink

for vertical, europe pisses over anywhere else in the world.

Also lift infrastructure is far superior to anything in Japan.

If only Europe got as good powder as here I'd be living there instead!
Originally Posted By: tripler
doesn't every resort claim to have shed loads of champagne powder? But 2,8002 meters of vertical is indisputable. Any resort in Japan claimed that and they'd soon be banged up under the trade descriptions act.

That is one hell of a vertical.