Friend of my wife's going to Niseko for the first time. Infact, first time to snow. She's not sure if she would like it so she's borrowing everything she can from my wife.

Jacket - OK, that and outer layer and can be cleaned

Pants - OK, ditto

boots - erm, no, that would be a bit gross

gloves - erm, I wipe snot on my gloves, don't want yours on it.

Well, basically, she wants to borrow everything. My wife was a bit grossed out, so she only lent her the jacket and pants.

I wouldn't even go that far. Buy your own stuff cheapskate or don't go skiing.

Would your lend something like that? What have you lent in the past and perhaps regret it now.

Jacket & pants OK, boots, hire them! gloves, hire them too!

With a group we know well, not too much of a problem lending stuff, but ONLY outerwear. The rest is to be hired.

Nope I am not lending anything, nothing, zero, zip. Sorry I had to hire stuff until I decided I was addicted and then bought all my own gear and up date it each year. People NEVER look after stuff that they borrow.

I will try and find an interesting article today that was on the news about new clothes that we buy and the DISGUSTING things that scientist swabbed off them. These clothes were brand new, bought of the rack, still had the labels on and it was DISGUSTING. So I ain't lending my clothes to NOBODY. eyes

I have lent all of the above, but not if it was my current kit.

Everything I have gets washed after each trip (boot liners and all) - and would also be washed after return regardless of whether someone said they washed it or not. (That's just me).

I DID lend my board - and ride my son's - as my friend was shorter than me, recently. I was already thinking of buying a new board, and had already done a number of day's on it that season, but I don't think I would do it again. But now I have two boards....maybe I would.

I wouldn't lend gear I'm currently using, not because I'm grossed out at all by germs or whatever but because it's all good expensive stuff. I just wouldn't trust anyone else to use it!

I lend everything I have except what I use myself as current kit, old outerwear, gloves, goggles, boards, boots, helmets EVERY last bit of it. Share the stoke, help your friends join you in a love of the snow.... Don't be so precious, that board you bought in 2001 ain't going to get any newer and if your not going to ride it anymore why not loan it out...for a case of beer or even nothing in return!

I have leant everything out...in fact the 1st time a few weeks ago I felt like a rental shop!! Pants, Jacket, Goggles, Gloves, Board, Bindings (2 sets of) and board!! ts all my old stuff so I don't care and it means that my mates are more likely gonna come riding instead of getting drunk (which comes later) if they don't have to shell out for gear

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
ts all my old stuff so I don't care and it means that my mates are more likely gonna come riding instead of getting drunk (which comes later) if they don't have to shell out for gear

GOOD POINT!

But ya know what [shhh! don't tell everyone I said this] after trying real hard to get my mates to come and experience the snow with me I am kinda getting to the point where I wanna ditch them and just go ride. Or go just with the mates that can keep up.

ummmahhhh...

I am turning into such a selfish old woman!

Old! Who said OLD? Pffft! Just a pup as yet! Still not as old as I was when I STARTED skiing!

Selfish? Dunno, who's too argue?

When we went to Aus resorts each year, we'd get 18 or so people together, book a BIG house and mix and match gear as required. Often with new sliders, we'd lend jackets, pants, goggles (but not gloves - mainly because we had no spares) that were not currently being used.

Now that we've retreated to a group of 4 of us, who all have our own gear and have been around for ages, we don;t keep as much old stuff and there's no need for "borrowing". Besides, being in Japow is a damn good excuse to get a new bit of kit "because it might be handy" - just so long as it does not send the luggage over the limit for the return trip.

About lending old stuff?

I have no old stuff, so can't be lending those either.

Pretty much sums it up. Would you lend your new sports car to someone who just wants to know how it feels?

I bought a spanking new top of the line lens and a colleague asked if he could borrow it for a beginner lesson he was about to take.

What do you think dude?

I used to lend stuff out, and still would lend jacket, my old one-piece. But after someone borrowed a pair of brand new gloves once, and returned them a week later, soaking wet, in a sealed plastic bag, stitching loose in places, thumb on one glove pulled inside out -- well, I'm now with those who say if you can't afford your own accessories, tough bananas.

FWIW, I'd suggest never lending, or borrowing, eyewear. Too much risk of disease.

Boots are a problem - too many important problems could be cause dby using boots not properly fitted.

In any situation when a person has returned items not in good enough condition, I'd be telling THEM that they've abused my generosity and that they are not welcome to ask for more loans, BUT I'd not be making everyone suffer because of one idiot!

They'd not be a friend for long, either!

I have lent people goggles and gloves this season, and also borrowed some gloves as well. I see absolutely no problem with that. I have also given friends old outerwear/goggles/boots in the past, I can't carry old gear all around the world, better someone else uses it. If you don't want to lend them some stuff, are they really your friend?

Originally Posted By: Jimmer
I have lent people goggles and gloves this season, and also borrowed some gloves as well. I see absolutely no problem with that. I have also given friends old outerwear/goggles/boots in the past, I can't carry old gear all around the world, better someone else uses it. If you don't want to lend them some stuff, are they really your friend?

Of course. They're friends. But some things you don't lend. Like I said earlier, your fav toys and perhaps your wife.