Yesterday I went skiing and didn't take my poles. I wanted to see what it was like.

And it was great.

I found myself going faster and perhaps curiously with more confidence. I'm always going to forget the poles from now I think.

The only downside I could see was 'walking'. I can imagine it not being good in moguls and really rough terrain, but seeing as though I don't like moguls that doesn't affect me.

I do have some friends that ski without poles a lot. They mostly do park though. I have done it and it is MUCH easier to grab in any variety of spins, however I don't like the style. To each their own though!

My kids where initially taught to ski without poles. apparently allows them to concentrate on getting body position right without distraction. Once they had that mastered they moved them to steeper slopes and poles.

I can see the appeal on groomed slopes but I wouldn't wanting to be without. Whatever floats your boat though and if it makes you feel more confident sounds like a good thing. friend

i tried skiing for the first time in about 17 years a few seasons ago, and couldn't get into the poles thing either. It was more fun to ride without them.

However, after 4 runs, i couldn't get back into the skiing thing, either.

I guess I can do with or without poles for generic schussing, though there is some comfort feeling from tucking them under the armpits. Also very handy to have them when standing in a sloped lift line (to avoid plowing into the person in front).

In practice, I end up carrying two sets of poles rather often, whenever the kid decides to go freehand.

To have pole gives us more options and the more options we have as skiers the better we are. Aside from the obvious use in an up hill travel situation we use them in 2 main ways when skiing downhill.

The 'running ' pole use is a timing devise for longer groomer type turns. The ' blocking ' pole plant is used in the steeps and the bumps essentially to block the body from continuing down the hill. It allows the feet to catch up to the body. Missing these blocking pole plants in the bumps can be fatal at times.

To have or not to have poles depends on the options we want.

Originally Posted By: thursday
I have really nice white carbon poles. They look gay, but I don't care.

suit you fine then! wink

CB......why would we trade our plank for 2?? We just look too cool smile