Originally Posted By: thursday
JA, there are many, many flat roofs in Japan. You just need to look.

Yep, I have noticed. Also noted the lack of gutters and did understand the reason. I was relating a bit to my situation here where the only water we can use is what is caught on our roof - no reticulation here.
  • SnowJapan Admin
Originally Posted By: gareth_oau
any suggestions why the snow doesnt stay on the station roof?

its almost like its heated, or at least the ceilings inside arent insulated

The roof of that walkway just outside the station has a water sprinkling pipe setup, you can see it at top of this photo:

YuzawaNow_954.JPG
Originally Posted By: JA

Yep, I have noticed. Also noted the lack of gutters and did understand the reason. I was relating a bit to my situation here where the only water we can use is what is caught on our roof - no reticulation here.

I've often been asked why there are so many flat roofed houses in high snowfall areas like up here. The answer is that most Japanese housing blocks are very small (at least compared to Aus). Houses are often built very close to the border of the land. If you have an angled rood the snow will likely slide off onto your neighbours land which is a big no no. So they have flat roofs which they have to get up on to clear from time to time.
Certainly no gutters and in most parts of Japan, especially the snowy areas, there's never any problems of water shortages!
Originally Posted By: Go Native

Houses are often built very close to the border of the land. If you have an angled rood the snow will likely slide off onto your neighbours land which is a big no no. So they have flat roofs which they have to get up on to clear from time to time.

So, when they dump the snow off the roof, does it not go on the neighbour's land, exactly as it would if the roof was sloped?
I have watched as blokes (and it is ONLY the blokes) shove great wads of snow off their roof, they sure don't carry it downstairs! It slides over the edge! Same as it would if the roof had a decent slope on. Seems weird to me!
So, when they dump the snow off the roof, does it not go on the neighbour's land, exactly as it would if the roof was sloped?
I have watched as blokes (and it is ONLY the blokes) shove great wads of snow off their roof, they sure don't carry it downstairs! It slides over the edge! Same as it would if the roof had a decent slope on. Seems weird to me!

Not the same at all really. It drops stright down and usually the wife or other family members are clearing it immediately. When it comes off an angled roof it usually builds up a reasonable amount of momentum and spreads well away from the house.

lol not wrong there JA !

I reckon it's to do with space limitation under pitched roofs. A-Frames are budget and supposedly good for snow. Why don't we see many of them?

Also I suspect that people don't want snow falling on their heads so they want it on the flat side and shovel it off. Easier to stand on a flatter roof, too.

(They have stuff on the roof to stop snow from sliding off in Europe.) Or, they just build them that way and bin doing it that way for a long it's there norm.

Well also that too much snow can cause a roof to buckle and break under it's weight. But also ironic, as snow is also a good insulator of heat, so a flat roof would be better to retain as much snow as possible to keep the heat in.

I have seen, albeit in places that are not so heavily snowed on, places with sloping roof and what look like catch plates at intervals, to stop the snow from sliding off in on big sheet. Seems to allow the natural melt to happen and the water drips down over the edge.

Oh, If only I had to put them on MY roof! When's global cooling supposed to kick in?

I have seen, albeit in places that are not so heavily snowed on, places with sloping roof and what look like catch plates at intervals, to stop the snow from sliding off in on big sheet. Seems to allow the natural melt to happen and the water drips down over the edge.

Oh, If only I had to put them on MY roof! When's global cooling supposed to kick in?

they have them on houses in Nagano city...I noticed the other day