Simple! Boarding looked like more fun. I had skied before years back, but when I came here I just had to take it up again and boarding was the choice.

• 1 month later...

Had skied periodically since I was a kid and was good enough to get around shakily whenever I did it for a couple of days every few years. Snowboarding looked great and it only took me a few days to realise that skiing, with it's long learning curve, was a thing of the past for me. Respect for the hot skiers cause it's much harder-the best sliders I ride with (technical abilty wise) are two plankers I reckon.

Thanks for the pat on the back but the last 7 years has seen a huge jump in the quality of ski gear. Sking is not even half as hard as it used to be. the learning curve has been cut in half.

I was told snowboarding was similiar to surfing..as I'm a surfer and from Hawaii (we don't have snow) I was skeptical but thought I'd try. I've never tried skiing..never wanted to. But snowboarding Conclusion: Not similiar. However, I will snowboard for the rest of my able to do so life....I LOVE IT!!.(er,if my wife let's me!) She's on a campaign nowadayz to get me to stop. confused.gif

I started when I was 6 when my dad gave me my first pair of handmedown skis. 17 years later and I still havn't tried snowboading. I have also wanted to give it a go but never wanted to waiste a day of skiing. I would much rather try telemarking now though. Skiing will always be my first sport. Why quit now when there is still so much to learn.