db started a thread on the same thing just before the start of this season. It's a good read.

I started off skiiing, did so for about 3 season but got bored of it quite quickly and then switched to snowboarding. Even when i was learning to board i was having more fun than I did when i was skiing.

I'll see if i can find the link to the other thread for you.

When we moved up here from Okinawa, staying indoors while it was cold and snowy outside wasn't an option - we were going to the slopes to do something - and deciding to ski or board was easy,

I surfed and skateboarded when I was a kid (skateboards had stone wheels when I first started), and wake board behind my jet skis, so I figured snowboarding wouldn't be too difficult...

I was right - its not, and sometimes when the angle of the slope is just right, it feels just like I'm on a wave too...

I hope everyone keeps choosing snowboarding. Give it 5 years when snowboarders outnumber skiers and then the skiers will be cool again. Not that they aren't now. Look at some of the huge jumps of skiers vs. snowboarders. You have grace, fluidity vs. akward spins with no class. Snowboarding is such a punk sport. If one of you can even keep up with me, I'd be surprised.

Okay, okay, I'm totally kidding \:\) I was one of the only skiers with my group this year and we liked to sling shit.

And, I can do both - so there!

No, no, no, you can't have grace and fluidity clinging onto two sticks. Even when you get big air you have all the grace of a praying mantis in flight. :p

I decided on snowboarding because I've always thought skiing was naff, and I couldn't imagine clinging onto two little sticks all day and constantly poking them into the snow...

I just wanted to be cool...j/k I skied when I was younger and got bored with it so I thought I`d give boarding a try. I have been hooked ever since. Don`t even know if I can ski decently anymore. :p

I agree with SnoboYaro, except without the j/k part. I skied since an early age, but all my friends turned into snowboarders and I thought it looked way cooler. I was right, cause it was way cooler - although I totally admit, that the skiing of today is completely different than what I was doing, and is quite cool. Anyway, I just fell in love. After my 4th time or so I knew I was done with skiing.

A while back Plucky said he'd be paying my way up to his place and lending me some skis, so I guess next season I'll be taking him up on that and trying out skiing. Bet I can pick it up and be carving in 2 days...

Ocean carving is a piece of piss. Any old punter can do that. Sorry to shatter your dreams of "finally conquering carving" cos it aint that hard. Ripping powder and freestyle stuff takes a bit more effort - although fattwins, OUFS2 and Dane make it look soooo easy

Liked the praying mantis comparison - dont diss those bugs, they have to be one of the coolest insects around (and one of the few that wont give me a heart attack)

Ooooh just an aside I went to squash a spider on the other side of the curtain this morning, smashed it with my hand before I realised it was on my side of the curtain ewwwwwwwwwwwwww!

Zwelgen the spider keeps the mosquitoes at bay. Love the spider. With the new gear nowadays sking became a little easier which is good. In whistler skiers are again outnumbering snowboarders, after years of being behind. Ive never heard of a rider spining a 1440 in contest.

snowboarding only. Never tried skiing (and I'm not dissing it) but always wondered why skiers wear those rediculous outfits..purple with yellow pants and green boots, etc. Snowboarders don't look so goofy in my opinion. What gives?

the answer if fairly obvious - there are more older skiers and old people wear funny stuff. Its the same story when ppl wonder why snowboarders (apparantly) have some sort of bad reputation - proportionaly there are more young males snowboarding than skiing and since we generally cause the most trouble then the numbers dictate that snowboarders are causing more trouble than skiers.

I also note with a wry smile that its the snowboard wear manufactures that are making the one piece suits now.

It's easy, I started off skiing, which is dead easy to master (The Art of the Snow Plough!) in a week, the course of your average holiday.

But for me snowboarding (to really enjoy it) took about 3 weeks, before that I was just cr*pping my pants about either:

a) Breaking my coccyx (sp?)

B) Knocking out my teeth!

It all depends on how accessible the slopes are, and like most Brits up until I spent a season scrubbing rich peoples bathrooms etc and serving them their food! I'd only ever spent a 'week-at-a-time' in the mountains.