With JAL losing 25% off the value of its shares in a few days and considering Becoming Bankrupt, How safe are my Feb March JAL Tickets ?

If I was a JAL Customer with One World points, I would be using them now, I lost 250,000 Star Alliance points in the collapse of Ansett some years ago.

Travel Insurance with pretty much any company will cover you for loss incurred due to the collapse of the airline I would imagine. You will then have to go to the hassle of rebooking a flight with another provider and hope they do the same route at thereabouts the same time.

I am flying out of here JAL...so hoping they keep on keeping on smile

The answer is nobody knows for sure. My guess is that even if JAL does go bankrupt, it'll keep flying. The reason for Japanese Government support in the past is because JAL fly numerous money-losing regional routes in Japan that no business-minded company would bother with unless subsidised or otherwise "supported". This is one of several reasons why JAL owes the banks 16 billion dollars and anyone buying its shares recently is certifiable.

SdS

Advice I received is that short term OK to keep on track to fulfill flight bookings for the next couple of months as they try and re-finance and sort out the problems - even if they enter into Bankruptcy.

Long term could be a real problem if they can not get it sorted fast,... of course you have to wonder how long they would want to let this news float around for with out hedging a positive solution as it will effect new bookings with all the uncertainty = ALL BAD.

Can the Japanese government afford to let them go belly up??

I've been watching the JAL situation very closely.

What would you do if you had JAL miles and had planned on using them later on in the year? I'm thinking I should book the flight ASAP - I'll have enough miles for my summer UK flight on the 10th, and using miles allows for date changes if I need them.

The JAL decision will be made mid-month, and there's a possibility of bankruptcy proceedings, - in which case I will assume that any flights people have paid for will be covered by insurance, but what about if they were paid for in miles?

Maybe I'm better off using the miles for my next Oz flight, which I hadn't wanted to do. Or maybe whatever I do I'm cactus if I don't fly in the next few days!

It seems that whatever they do they want to keep JAL flying, but.... suddenly the miles I've been saving for on my JAL credit card look like they could be on pretty thin ice....

J

I have also been watching the JAL situation very closely as we are all flying JAL in Feb. I was assuming that if JAL file bankruptcy the Japanese Government were going to step in and prop them up.

Have just read an article that said that the Japanese government have asked the banks to refinance JAL??

It seems airmiles will be safe, according to something I read a few days ago. GOJ is making some proposal and it will be released at the end of this month.

Hope you're right, cos I just read another story about possible bankruptcy to take place. I've also since heard from someone who still has miles leftover from Delta/NW takeover (or whoever those relevant airlines were), so I feel a little more optimistic from his and your news...

we got an email from jal this weekend saying from april jal miles being downgraded in some areas, e.g. if you convert them to waon cash etc you need more miles to get same cash. seems no effect (yet) on amount of miles needed to fly somehwere though.

Just heard American offered them 2 billion as long as they stay part of the Oneworld group.... That is while entering into bankruptcy proceedings.

From what I can make of it it will mean short term things will continue, who knows what the future wil bring. Airmiles????