How many times have you had your lift ticket confiscated by Ski Patrol?

[

So in Scotland you never ever break any rules or laws? Never a few km's over the speed limit? Never cross a street except at a designated crossing? I fully admit to breaking a whole lot of rules and laws whilst I lived in Australia. And I can assure you there's going to be more than one or two I break whilst living here. As I've said before I don't consider myself a 'guest' in this country and I just live my life much the way I've always lived it except I do have to shovel a hell of a lot more snow here than I ever did in Aus razz

I am no angle I got done for speeding in Sept. but I dont whinge when I get caught

I have lived in Scotland for 27 years and I do consinder myself a guest.It is their country after all

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, Mr Angleless, I see no reason why you should consider yourself a guest in Scotland after 27 years. Scots in England don't seem to be treading on egg shells for fear of upsetting their hosts.

I don't think anyone mentioned whinging about getting caught. Take your punishment like a man, I agree with that.

Originally Posted By: tripler
well, Mr Angleless, I see no reason why you should consider yourself a guest in Scotland after 27 years. Scots in England don't seem to be treading on egg shells for fear of upsetting their hosts.

I don't think anyone mentioned whinging about getting caught. Take your punishment like a man, I agree with that.

I am not treading on egg shells I live in a small village and I know you carn,t please everyone or get on with everybody. But as far as I am concerned you have to respect the host.

So, if 'the host' didn't approve of something you did and asked you to 'get out', you would? That would be respecting 'the host', right?

When you contribute positively to the society you live in you shouldn't be made to feel like you are a guest just because so people don't agree with how you live you life. If someone is willing to put down your differences to your ethnicity, they most certainly are being racist. There are all kinds of Japanese living in Japan, some who respects the rules and some who don't and they do so for various reasons. Should all those Japanese 'descenters' also be asked to leave because they don't follow the rules?

As for having my lift ticket confiscated... it hasn't happened yet. Closest I've come is having to talk my way out of it with patrol at Hakuba 47. I think the only reason he let me get away with it was because it was the end of the day and I was very apologetic.

Im not sure I do consider myself a "guest" in Japan anymore. Ive lived here for several years, I pay the same taxes as Japanese people and Ive made the same (if not more) contribution to society/the economy as most Japanese people in that time. Im sure a lot of Japanese people might find it a "bit rich" to hear my criticisms of the country, but I think Im fully entitled to my opinions. There is a tendancy for people here to make the assumption that foreigners dont really understand Japan or the Japanese, and in someways, sometimes that might be true, but often it is just a form of racism or xenophobia. Foreigners are often in a better position to make criticisms because they have seen other systems elsewhere. The fact is, there are a lot of great things about Japan - better than in other countries, but there are also things which are most definitely worse. So what do you do? Do you just keep your mouth shut, smile politely and say everything is wonderful? Or do you say something like "yeah, this is great, but I think you could do that better."?

Surely what he means is that he has some basic respect for the general laws of the land, rather than simply laughing in the face of them by default.

Everything doesn't have to be extreme one way of the other you know.

He may well mean that he just has some basic respect for the general laws of the land, but a statement like "As far as I an concerned it,s their country ,their rules and if you dont like it dont come and if you live there @issoff back home" which was a response to people discussing venturing out of bounds seems to suggest a whole lot more besides to me.

As I said, not everything is perfect here - I personally think some of Japans laws belong in the dark ages, and I'd like to think that if I was so inclined, I could take various actions, in order to try to bring about some change. It might be writing a letter to the councilor, or local newspaper, contacting the appropriate regulator, perhaps setting up a website, or a campaign on a social networking site, or perhaps airing my views in a web forum, like people were doing here, in the hope that I might get some advice or someone with some influence might take notice. Just like I could back home. Id like to think that I wouldnt have to just "@issoff back home" if I didnt like somthing because this isn't "my country".

Emperor Akihito is probably reading your post right now... lol

Actually I was thinking more along the lines of the original discussion about venturing out of bounds - people who run these forums obviously listen to our comments and might be in a position to speak with managers of ski resorts in their area about then needs of this community. That kind of thing.

As for what laws I had in mind, well, its getting off topic, really, but I think the death penalty is something which belongs firmly in the dark ages for one. The justice systems reliance on confessions and the freedoms given to police in order to extract such confessions is another major concern.

As I say, its getting off topic, and its probably best we try to stick to the thread.

Gary, you might be right about forums having influence or at least being perceived to by the resorts. Last season I was chatting with one of the most important business people in Hakuba and he was worried that if overseas punters complain on forums about Ski Patrol pulling tickets, the resort gets a bad reputation and visitors choose somewhere else. I didn't agree that forums are so influential or that there are enough people for whom rope ducking is so important, but that view is out there.

• SnowJapan Admin

We often speak with resorts about issues that are brought up on these Forums and by comments sent to us by email. My colleague, who is the person who has most contact with resort managers and the like, does try to bring issues to the attention of the places that we have good relationships with as much as possible. I believe that SJ1 has also brought up some of the issues in this thread at a number of meetings/conferences attented by the people who run resorts. From what I hear they do show a concern about comments that are made, rumours that are spread, etc. Of course whether things are done about it is a whole different matter...!

Funnily enough, we have at times been accused of running our site/forums 'like a Japanese ski resort', somewhat predictably by people who know next to nothing about how we do actually run our operation. Always makes me laugh, that. Followed by a sigh.

wink

Originally Posted By: iiyamadude
Surely what he means is that he has some basic respect for the general laws of the land, rather than simply laughing in the face of them by default.

Thank you thumbsup
Originally Posted By: Weegeoff

Thank you thumbsup

So we don't have to leave the country because now and then we break a few little rules? stir razz
Originally Posted By: Go Native
Originally Posted By: Weegeoff

Thank you thumbsup

So we don't have to leave the country because now and then we break a few little rules? stir razz

If mummy is letting you out to play there is nothing I can do naughty