How many times have you had your lift ticket confiscated by Ski Patrol?

Originally Posted By: iiyamadude
Whats this 'I'm invincible, I can do what I want, the rules don't apply to me' that some people have going on?

But it's only in Japan that you're not allowed to ski off piste. Anywhere else in the world a rope just means beyond this point you ski at your own risk.
  • Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: tripler
Whats this 'I'm invincible, I can do what I want, the rules don't apply to me' that some people have going on?

But it's only in Japan that you're not allowed to ski off piste. Anywhere else in the world a rope just means beyond this point you ski at your own risk.

Is that true? Do foreign resorts only consider your "own risk"?

Feel free to be big and bold and do what you want, but perhaps become a bit more adult in being able to take responsibility for your actions.

Can't see where people are suggesting they not take responsibility for their own actions. They are just looking at ways to mitigate the possible consequences of their actions, like not losing their season passes.
I believe Japanese resorts need to become more adult and allow people to be responsible for their own actions rather than trying to be responsible for them by blocking off some of the best slopes on the mountain.
Niseko has a pretty good system with the gates and because of this I very rarely ever feel the need to duck ropes at all.

I was referring to this

Quote:
How about refusing to give up your ticket until they give you cash for all the unused days? Ski Patrol are like TV Licence enforcers in the UK, they've got no right to do anything unless you let them. Shrug your shoulder and speed off.

and associated comments.

I agree a change in policy would be a good thing, but realise there are issues involved.

Try ducking a rope in Colorado and see what happens. Try ducking a rope at Fernie or Whistler and see you in Jail. We all know many of the spots the resorts have roped off could be opened. It isn't our house and if we break the rules we know the risks. A resort has every right to enforce their rules whatever they are.

Originally Posted By: rider69
Try ducking a rope in Colorado and see what happens. Try ducking a rope at Fernie or Whistler and see you in Jail. We all know many of the spots the resorts have roped off could be opened. It isn't our house and if we break the rules we know the risks. A resort has every right to enforce their rules whatever they are.

I have a buddy who has been on ski patrol in Japan for almost 20 years and he's pulled passes if necessary, including a 6-foot+, aggro Aussie. Ski patrol are as hardcore about snow sports as anyone. They're definitely not doing it for money or a power trip. By the nature of their work, they probably understand the risks better than anyone, and most of the time they're worried about the bigger picture.
Well if you read it again it was a comment implying that ski patrol have got no right to dso anything unless you let them.

confused

Indeed it was...in the UK.

Basically I have no problem with passes being confiscated and here in a place like Niseko where they have probably gone to more lengths than any other ski area in Japan to be accommodating to the needs and wants of those who enjoy a bit of off-piste, I fully support them coming down hard on those that continue to duck ropes.

I do though have a problem with many Japanese ski resorts that just block off most of the off-piste terrain, not because it's dangerous but because they just don't want to take any responsibility at all with managing access to these areas. Basically they block access because it's just easier to do so and it's what they have always done. Of course it doesn't take into account that skiing has changed over the years and people, including the domestic market, are looking for more than just doing GS turns down groomers. Little wonder skiing has been declining in popularity throughout the country over the last decade.

Which part of that don't you understand?

The way I read it, he is comparing "ski patrol" - as a breed, not ones in the UK - to TV Licence enforcers in the UK.

Argue all you want about the consequences of not opening terrain that you want opening, doesn't change the reality of the situation.

Originally Posted By: SKI
Of course they have the right to take your pass.

Are you sure? I haven't read the small print but I've never seen a sign saying "if you ski out of bounds you can have your pass confiscated". You've paid for it, it's your property. Anyway whether they have the right to take it or not, if you turn your back on them and walk away I very much doubt they'd physically try to stop you. They're just normal guys who out of season have regular jobs, not the SAS.
Which part of that don't you understand?

The way I read it, he is comparing "ski patrol" - as a breed, not ones in the UK - to TV Licence enforcers in the UK.

Argue all you want about the consequences of not opening terrain that you want opening, doesn't change the reality of the situation.

You're attitude about the futility of arguing is very Japanese and one of the reasons so little ever does get changed in this country even when things are dire and change is absolutely required. Personally I never have a problem with voicing opions and debating them vigorously however futile it may seem. Change will never occur if people say nothing.

I've heard you say this to other people before Go Native, so here's some back to you. You don't know me, so don't presume to tell me about my 'attitude about the futility of arguing'. It happens to not be my attitude at all, though I'm not out for an argument for the sake of it as some people seem to be.

slap

I didn't presume anything. You wrote the above and I commented on it.

Amazing how much you think you can tell about someones attitude on a whole subject by some out of context comments.

Especially when you tell others not to make the same snap judgements about yourself.

wakaranai

Nope, I think the points are fairly clear for anyone who wants to see them.

And I get the impression that even if I agreed with you, you'd find something to pick up on.

So, for those reasons, I'm out.

friend

rollabout

How predictable was that!

Posted just for you and got exactly the response I thought it would.

Almost word for word what I had noted down here as your witty comeback.

Well done, sir!