How many times have you had your lift ticket confiscated by Ski Patrol?

So far, once in Arai. Ducked under the ropes for an entire day. The next day, a few other friends followed. Ski patrol found us on the first run and snipped our lift tickets after giving us a safety lecture.

I'll never forget you Arai.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a question - If you have a long'ish term pass say,ranging from 10 day pass to a season pass, do you take a "sacraficial" 1 day pass with you to coff up when you get nabbed?

Originally Posted By: snowjunky
a question - If you have a long'ish term pass say,ranging from 10 day pass to a season pass, do you take a "sacraficial" 1 day pass with you to coff up when you get nabbed?

I certainly know people who've done this. Get a cheap point pass to coff up if caught.

One of our group had to duck ropes today over at Annupuri to go get the youngsters gloves which got dropped off the lift. Lucky for us by the time we were back at the top the gate had actually opened - coz there was going to be a Mummy vs Daddy domestic about teaching children to break the rules!

And the discussion about which pass would be sacrificed had already come up.

Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
All season pass holders should buy a points pass to give when you get caught!!! wink

Someone suggested this in Hakuba last year. But are you sure they don't have a way of checking "on the spot" which was the last lift debited against it? How about refusing to give up your ticket until they give you cash for all the unused days? Ski Patrol are like TV Licence enforcers in the UK, they've got no right to do anything unless you let them. Shrug your shoulder and speed off.

haha, i knew you were over there yesterday...i saw THE COFFIN leaning against the rack outside the gondola!

my sister dropped her glove off the lift too, but the Jumbo 1 just near where it comes over that big crest out of the bottom station... it was night so i dont think anyone could see, except those on the lift...

was nice pow too wink

Originally Posted By: tripler
Originally Posted By: Creek Boy
All season pass holders should buy a points pass to give when you get caught!!! wink

Someone suggested this in Hakuba last year. But are you sure they don't have a way of checking "on the spot" which was the last lift debited against it? How about refusing to give up your ticket until they give you cash for all the unused days? Ski Patrol are like TV Licence enforcers in the UK, they've got no right to do anything unless you let them. Shrug your shoulder and speed off.

I'm not sure you're correct in saying that ski patrol has "no right" to take your pass. When you buy any pass for a ski resort, you are actually obliged to use the pass under conditions set by the resort. So if ski patrol deems that you are endangering "others" by skiing out of bounds. For example, I am thinking about the snowboarders who triggered an in-bounds avalanche that buried some beginner skiers in Hakuba a few seasons back.

It's the same if you go to a pub and start acting weirdly. I think the publican and staff have every right to ask you to leave.

What do you think?
Originally Posted By: Foxpuppet
haha, i knew you were over there yesterday...i saw THE COFFIN leaning against the rack outside the gondola!

my sister dropped her glove off the lift too, but the Jumbo 1 just near where it comes over that big crest out of the bottom station... it was night so i dont think anyone could see, except those on the lift...
was nice pow too wink

Small world Foxpuppet!
Yeah the older boys took a break while the little ones and we oldies just kept going ... we had to laugh!
I didn't go through Gate 7 myself - baby bear chose not to, as well as two others so I rode down behind them (Mamabear making sure Ohana means Family, and Family means no one gets left behind). But the guys raved! They said they had never had so much fun.
Originally Posted By: tripitaka

I'm not sure you're correct in saying that ski patrol has "no right" to take your pass. When you buy any pass for a ski resort, you are actually obliged to use the pass under conditions set by the resort. So if ski patrol deems that you are endangering "others" by skiing out of bounds. For example, I am thinking about the snowboarders who triggered an in-bounds avalanche that buried some beginner skiers in Hakuba a few seasons back.

It's the same if you go to a pub and start acting weirdly. I think the publican and staff have every right to ask you to leave.

What do you think?

I agree with you.
If you choose to go through then it is a risk you take.
Noticed that Gate 7 Annupuri had signs up listing the costs for rescue if you require it - that's fair enough too.

Whats this 'I'm invincible, I can do what I want, the rules don't apply to me' that some people have going on?

Feel free to be big and bold and do what you want, but perhaps become a bit more adult in being able to take responsibility for your actions.