My jacket and particularly pants have lost alot of it's water repellancy(is that a word?)/waterproofness so I'm wondering which method to use to reseal them. I can't afford new wear so I'm going to have to get through the season with what I've got. I've used the spray before and found it worked for a day or two then wore off and I was back to where I started. The guy at my local ski shop recommends the wash in stuff which you add to the washing machine with your gear. Has anyone had any experience with the wash in stuff and how does it compare to the spray? The ski shop guy also recommended that because my jacket is down I should add 3 tennis balls to the load to fluff up the down which was interesting and good advice I thought. Cheers

Nikwax makes some pretty good stuff. I've used it a couple of times and it's pretty easy to find in Japan. If you're dealing with down though, be careful. The down gets quite heavy when wet and can end up ripping the stitching in some cases. Also do as your ski shop guy recommends and toss in a few tennis balls when drying the down - it'll help break up the "clumping". A few socks knotted up also works too.

+1 for Nikwax too.

Snow wear is not just water-repellent, it is also breathable.

Don't use waterproofing sprays: true, they make water bounce off, but they also reduce the breathability and turn your wear in portable steam unit.

It's an interesting question and actually really depends on where you are skiing. I grew up in Colorado where the temps are cold and snow is dry. Then I moved to CA. On my 3rd day of skiing there it rained--was late in the season granted, but I was shocked that it could rain in the mountains in the summer. The top was snowing, but definitely wet at the bottom. That's when I discovered that my ski gear was not waterproof. In colorado it didn't need to be because if you are in snow, which is frozen, water-proofness is not an issue. Now unless you are going to spend heaps of time on your ass then being in snow is sweet. As long as it's cold enough.

As a Japan newbie I have no idea, but I suspect it's cold enough.

I have found that in Japan the snow falls off rather than melts. I treat the gear after washing but it may or may not need it. Back in Oz I use my new jacket on nice days but when the weather turns go back to the trusty ancient unfashionable gortex that works in anything.

Definitely go Nikwax. I have used it several times of several items and have always noticed a difference especially come spring.

If you have any questions on which nikwax to get or how to use it just let me know smile