Originally Posted By: tripler
The tree run on Shiga Kogen posters looks pretty amazing. Where is it, exactly?

We must have some different ideas on what tree runs are. That looks like a groomer between the trees to me. Is that what qualifies as a tree run down that way?

This is what we call a tree run up this way razz

MikePow_316.jpg

but thats not an official tourist poster right? the SK one is, so prob won't be touting the off piste runs. I'm pretty sure there'll be loads of areas just as good in SK it is after all the hghest resort in Japan. I'm going on Wednesday and would love to take a photo but I'm too much of a pussy and will stick to the groomers! razz

Staying in the Park Hotel, thinks its at Ichinose Family....not really sure to be honest as I can't work the maps out!! lol But if you are looking at it and the Prince Hotel area is over on the left and the Maruike area is on the right, I'm the area in the middle!! smile

The Shiga Park Hotel is in Takamagahara, not Ichinose. It's not a bad base as far as access to other areas during the days goes, but there are only about 6 hotels there, so you'll have to find a good one to eat at..

BTW.. Next door is the Takamagahara Hotel.... they do a decent pizza and you can get the Asahi premium blue in the machines in the lobby.

Went to Shiga about 5 years ago (the Ichinose side), the oyaji lifties didn't like my group very much because we kept riding under the lifts and in the trees despite angry glares and repeated warnings from them. wink

ah ok, cheers Sciclone! Yeah well I thought it looked kinda of equidistant to the slopes so thats why we went there, the other hotel we were offered was away down in Maruike and I just felt that to get to the other slopes would take a wee bit longer. Don't drink the Asahi Blue can....thats Crapposhu! smile

Pretty difficult/impossible to ski through any of those trees in that Shiga Kogen photo taken from Yokoteyama as they are too close together.

Some good faces(but can be dangerous) on the other side of the mountain accessed from the top near the bakery and when returning have to take a short hike back to the bottom of the Shibutoge lift. Some alright tree runs on Yokote but you have to hike back up agin to where you started so not really worth the effort. Yokote can have the best snow in S.K but

better tree runs can be found in some other areas.

Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Is there any taxis that move between the various hubs at night time after the shuttle buses finish?

I'm sure you can order taxis in the evening but may I ask why you want to move one hub to another after the lifts close? Shiga isn't very famous for nightlife.
Originally Posted By: Tubby Beaver
Is there any taxis that move between the various hubs at night time after the shuttle buses finish?

I've been told you can order taxis but they have to come up from bottom of the mountains so are expensive, like several 1000 yen for a short ride from one ski area to another.

Yep. not perfect. Though the mad nightlife in each of the "hubs" is worth it wink

Top tip: Take a torch so you can find your way about wink

Ask your accommodation, you might find them happy to help run you aroumd. Or maybe not. Ask and they'll tell you.

Originally Posted By: iiyamadude
the mad nightlife in each of the "hubs" is worth it wink

lol

I heard there's an actual bar (not part of a hotel) in Ichinose, never seen it skiing there though. You can walk from Hasuike to Maruike in 2 mins along the road and less than 10 mins further to Sun Valley. Any info on Shiga nighlife, anyone, please post!

Well there was far too much snow falling for us to venture out of the hotel anyway!! I wasn't looking for mad nightlife, just a different place to have an ale than the hotel room would've been nice! Ichinose had a "bar and Grill" attached to the Hotel Ichinose, but we didn't go there at night, only had lunch there. Seems a shame that there isn't anything up here, as the snowboarding is awesome and it would be good if it had a few bars dotted around the place.

I can recommend the little bar at the Chalet Shiga... Its the second hotel down towards Yakebitai from the Family-Diamond overpass. It is sort of like a sports bar with big screen TV's playing ski/snow vids and beer. You can get a 4 pot tester of the local beer for about 800Y.

Other than that, there is an izakaya type thing at the Hotel Dairoku? (next door to the sunroute), a small bar area at the sunroute and a Skier's bar at the Villa Ichinose. We find after a full day snowboarding and a good meal at Kamoshika (the nepalese curry restaurant), a beer in our room usually puts us straight to sleep..