• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: muikabochi
GN is Niseko noticeably a "posher crowd" now each year?

There's a lot more families than there used to be. It's certainly less of a ski bum town than it used to be as well. Although there are a lot of very rich people coming here now, especially from Asia, I really don't think it's as expensive as a lot of people make out. We have luxury homes available for much of the season where it comes out close to or less than Y10,000 per person per night. These are spacious homes with large western kitchens and dining areas, big lounge areas and your own private outdoor jacuzzi. Personally I don't consider that overly expensive for that kind of quality. Especially when you can stay in terribly small hotel rooms throughout this country for similar amounts.
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
lol
In 3 weeks there will be Tubby and Snowhuntress and my boy Reaper - and who knows who else! Will certainly raise the tone! thumbsup

I'll be there too. I'll balance out the poshness with my scrubbiness smile

Just saw in Todays paper $780 for 1 week in 1 bedroom apartment including Lift passes and transfers. In middle village 4min walk to Ace Family.

I thought that was cheap.

You had to travel in Late March/April.

When...late march/april or SUMMER!

I have been in April. Had a ball. We had spring conditions, no worse than Aus resorts would get in July. Some snow days. Lot od services not available - shuttle bus stops at that time of year, some restaurants and bars are closed...

But a good cheap family holiday - with pretty close to empty slopes!

In summer?

About the same as getting decent snow in Thredbo in December.

There might be a fall or two but it will hang around for all of 10 seconds, so not skiable!

What kind of dumb question was that? doh

On topic,

Expensive depends a little on your frame of reference.

We first went to Niseko 5 years ago, stayed at a moderate priced Hotel, fairly central in the upper village, and were very happy.

The next year we stayed in a pension (with another couple we talked into coming with is) at slightly less than the hotel and the same facilities.

While I do not have actual AUD costs for these, my point is that there are reasonable accom available if you are prepared to ...

1. book early

2. accept that facilities aren't always euro/au/nz level.

Of course, if you are there for the skiing/boarding, the accom is more or less irrelevant - so long as there's a bed to crash on at the end of the day!

Originally Posted By: JA
On topic,

Expensive depends a little on your frame of reference.

We first went to Niseko 5 years ago, stayed at a moderate priced Hotel, fairly central in the upper village, and were very happy.

The next year we stayed in a pension (with another couple we talked into coming with is) at slightly less than the hotel and the same facilities.

While I do not have actual AUD costs for these, my point is that there are reasonable accom available if you are prepared to ...
1. book early
2. accept that facilities aren't always euro/au/nz level.

Of course, if you are there for the skiing/boarding, the accom is more or less irrelevant - so long as there's a bed to crash on at the end of the day!

in Japan sometimes (a lot of the time) there isn't even this!! lol
Originally Posted By: JA

this is how i see it, anything else is just a bonus