Per room rate can look cheap but can add up to be more when paying for meals.

I'd rather pay per person including 2 full Japanese meals in a traditional Onsen situation.

In my case, if it's a room USD80 single, USD120 double max.

With 2 Japanese meals in USD120 per person.

In Europe, I'm paying 80 Euro for double apartment, 70 Euro per person with 2 meals and that's with separate living and bedroom arrangement. Could be considered luxury compared to one room hotel rooms.

We are pretty much talking to average Joe Blow here or what's the point about talking about price when one's disposable income is not limited.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And also have found many cheap hotels on this site,one place I stayed at last year in Yuzawa, was stupidly cheap, but came with breakfast and dinner, cheap one day passes, transfers to and from the station and ROTEMBURO! 7k a night!

Simply fire out some emails to some of these places on here and see what you get.

Originally Posted By: HughJarse
Hey TB just doing the very hard calculations on your deal, its a must have i reckon.....well done, whats the name of that place please, or who was the deal through.

for Shiga Kogen? or for Niseko?

For Shiga Kogen it was through JR View, the travel agents in the train stations, and the hotel was the Shiga Park Hotel.

For Niseko I'm not sure, a mate has organised it so I'll have to get the details
Originally Posted By: thursday
Not naming places, but friends have booked some really pricey places.

I was rather shocked when they said 150,000 for an apartment per NIGHT.

I'm so glad to have booked 3man per night at my fav hotel.

Stated as a shocked observation. But impressed that a 150m2 place can fetch that price. Not bad for a little ski village with nothing but snow and whities.
  • 3 weeks later...

I often get feedback from clients that their accomm is some of the best quality that they've ever stayed at in a ski resort. Especially Aus clients comment that the standard is way above that available at most Aus resorts and generally at cheaper rates.

Originally Posted By: Go Native
I often get feedback from clients that their accomm is some of the best quality that they've ever stayed at in a ski resort. Especially Aus clients comment that the standard is way above that available at most Aus resorts and generally at cheaper rates.

...which is why we continue to come...

Oh yeah - and the SNOW!

I have long maintained that if you are coming for a week then NO - it is more cost effective to go to an Aussie resort (because GETTING THERE is more expensive if you go to Japan over Aus). However once you get to two week you are in front as far as your per day costs go.

[Just don't go via Tokyo and the Kanda Ski Shops or you could end up spending WAY more - like we did! wink ]
Originally Posted By: Mamabear
Originally Posted By: Go Native

...which is why we continue to come...

Oh yeah - and the SNOW!

I have long maintained that if you are coming for a week then NO - it is more cost effective to go to an Aussie resort (because GETTING THERE is more expensive if you go to Japan over Aus). However once you get to two week you are in front as far as your per day costs go.

[Just don't go via Tokyo and the Kanda Ski Shops or you could end up spending WAY more - like we did! wink ]

And the snow here is just a little bit better than Aus! lol

Price is such a subjective thing, isn't it? Is it really fair to compare the prices between accommodation in Australia and Japan? The real comparison is accommodation in a place Niseko and another area of Japan. I know I'll take heat for saying something like this but when the domestic market is getting priced out you can't make the argument that it's affordable. I know about 'the domestic market not being the focus' and 'the accommodation is special for X reasons' but I think the reality is that if the domestic market is completely ignored and marginalized then in times of economic hardship (Australian or Singaporean (etc) dollar collapse)there isn't enough diversity. You don't have to look very hard in Japan to find places that have either outgrown themselves or have gone bust because of 'big plans' that never materialized and it would be very sad to see Niseko go the same way.

I spoke with an older gentlemen in Niseko who has been there for like 30 years. When I asked him if there was anything he disliked about the new-found popularity of the place he said it was upsetting to see that Japanese families are having difficulty affording trips there.

Sure there is always going to be someone who thinks staying in an apartment for 5,000$ a night isn't expensive... but that doesn't mean that most people would agree.

That being said, I've always found what I would consider a reasonable price... but I usually start looking in October... and I still think it's more expensive than many other places I visit in Japan.

You're right BM, one reason I haven't been to Niseko area for a long time is that it simply is cheaper to stay in other areas and from what I have heard, have just as good time in the cheaper areas.

But it is subjective, some people are willing to pay the extra costs.

Problem is BM is that the western-style accomm available in Niseko is not like accomm available at most other Japanese ski resorts. It was built specifically for the international ski tourist market, not the domestic one. These properties are built with longer stays in mind than the average domestic customer stay. Western properties on the whole are much larger than the accomm that has always been here and the cleaning costs are much higher so if there's too much turnover with full cleans the owners end up making bugger all and in some properties the owner can actually lose money on a one night booking during lower season rate periods. The company I work for offer some very good rates aimed purely at the domestic market though through Jalan (so if you can read Japanese well enough you can get some cheap deals in very nice accomm through that site wink ). Even if there is little money made on the booking there is certainly some benefit in introducing the domestic market to the product we have available and is very useful to fill anooying 1 or 2 night gaps. It is of a type and standard of accommodation that they are definitely not used to in Japan.

So at the end of the day we can offer a product that is found in few other places in Japan and certainly at very few other ski areas. You can't really compare the prices to other domestic products because it's just not comparing apples to apples.

Let's also not forget that Hirafu is not Niseko, most other areas of the mountain, Niseko Village, Annupuri, etc are still relatively untouched by western development and still offer the same accomm options as were always here and there's still plenty of the original pensions and hotels in Hirafu itself.

The travel industry is always going to be one of the hardest hit during any times of economic hardship and last season was no exception. We've seen strong demand again this season though with significant increases in visitor numbers and we've barely scratched the surface when it comes to introducing Niseko to the SE Asian market.

BM.I agree I know when our family started planing our trip this year in may we looked at Grand hirafu and the cost of flights from Tokyo to sapparo.we could only stay for 1 week.We are able to stay for 2 weeks and enjoy Nozawa & shiga kogen for the same money & get to experience more of the great Japan culture.Not knocking Niseko had agreat time there with mates in 2008. But for your family of 4 the other areas seem to be better value