• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would rather not go somewhere than pay to stay in a hole. I'm sure thats not where you are staying skidaisuki, but the point is that everyone surely wants different things. And that's a good thing. When I go somewhere I'm happy to spend a bit more to stay somewhere more than just comfortable, though not in the way expensive league.

Originally Posted By: thursday
Not naming places, but friends have booked some really pricey places.

I was rather shocked when they said 150,000 for an apartment per NIGHT.

I'm so glad to have booked 3man per night at my fav hotel.

I stayed at a place in Niseko (not naming names) in 2008. Was planning to stay there again in 2009 but they hiked the prices by more than 50% (!!!) so I took the family to Hakuba instead. We prefer Hakuba so in future we're likely to be spending more time there than in Niseko.

I agree with Mama that self-contained is great for a group. Its great having your own living room to hang out in, and a kitchen where you can make things. Even if its just mojitos.

I suppose the price of anything is what people are prepared to pay. If folk will pay big, people are right to charge it. The flats in Niseko are certainly more appropriate for many overseas visitors than other accom in Japanese ski towns, but I think a lot them get called "luxury" more out of hype than anything else. Genuine luxury means a much higher level in my book. Most of the apartments simply aren't big enough for starters.

Compared to what was available in this village prior to the western devlopment just about anything that contains furniture, a western bed and a real kitchen could be considered luxury! razz

Seriously though there are some incredibly luxurious apartments and houses here and some are very spacious. Most of my clients are certainly living in more luxury than I have in my own home.

Some chalets in the (European of course) Alps come with chauffeur driven cars, live-in chefs, live-in nannies, and free wine cellars you can raid. That sounds more like luxury to me.

We went to Niseko once in December 2001. We stayed at a place opposite the Scott, maybe the Kogen or the Alpen, I don't remember the name. It was 9000 yen for b&b with two day passes for Hirafu. Subract the tix and it was 4000 yen per head for ski-in in a pretty big room with a view of the hill and an onsite onsen. A bit dated, but that's hotels for you. For the price we paid, I thought Niseko was very luxurious in 2001!

In Niseko you can also have in-house chefs and be chauffeured around and some properties include wine cellars. Most of the rich folk bring their own nannies though although you can organise in-house babysitting no problem. Hell there's even the option to charter a helicopter from Chitose to get here in style!

It all comes down to how much you want to pay. As I said previously we have quite a number of clients for whom money is of little or no concern, they just want the best of everything. I love those clients lol

Originally Posted By: skidaisuki
I'd expect a whole hotel for 3-man per night!

Seriously, do your research, shop around, plan ahead and Niseko really isn't that expensive, for example next month we've got:

return flights Haneda - Chitose
4 nights accommodation - dinner, bed & breakfast (shared rooms, good hotel a short walk from the base lift at Hirafu)
all mountain lift pass - 5 days
bus transfers Chitose-Niseko

...all for 77,000 Yen per person.

Does anyone really think that's expensive?

There are a few ludicrously overpriced places to stay, but if you're a sufficiently big sucker to stay at one of them, remember - you don't get to ski a different mountain to the one I'm on!

Anyway - enjoy

SdS

mate, got a deal for almost exactly the same the second week of Feb....well buzzing!

I'm in Shiga Kogen just now and we paid 68k for 4 nights in a hotel, breakfast and dinner paid, shinkansen + transfers from Nagano station and our train paid from Tokyo to Yokohama, I was pleasantly surprised that the hotel was quite nice and not like the usual Minshuku/Pension that I usually get when I stay at a ski-jo

Well what is the most you wold pay? Me I'm not willing to pay more then $200usd for a room. I would much rather ski.

In Japan there seems to be a lot of pay by the person. I was looking at one place for a family of 4 the price quickly shot up to close to $500 a night veryshocked veryangry . If it was me and the wife it was possibly doable. This was not at Niseko by the way.

I do not know much about Niseko, but regarding other resorts I think you will find tradional onsen towns like Zao and Nozawa to generally be quite expensive. Perhaps as there is less choice and a limited number of hotels in those small villages.

It is good to have a good choice though, I think Zao really could benefit from having more choice than exists.