• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some accomm is very expensive but some accomm is very, very nice. I could easily imagine a penthouse that's ski in/ski out being at least that expensive. The Vale is the most expensive accommodation in Niseko and believe me they are having no problems getting bookings. No shortage of people at all with money willing to pay for location and quality.

Don't quite see the point of complaining about expensive accomm in Niseko. You don't like or can't afford it? Don't stay there, there's plenty of other choices.

Originally Posted By: thursday
Not naming places, but friends have booked some really pricey places.

I was rather shocked when they said 150,000 for an apartment per NIGHT.

I'm so glad to have booked 3man per night at my fav hotel.

har! i had to laugh! 3man! expensive to me is 6,000 yen a night smile I am a natural born scottish cheapskate. smile

If the market's doing ok now I'm guessing there might be a few companies up there now regretting doing all those huge discounts in summer time. wink

Always easy in hindsight of course.

Originally Posted By: SKI
If the market's doing ok now I'm guessing there might be a few companies up there now regretting doing all those huge discounts in summer time. wink

Always easy in hindsight of course.

They sure are! Especially offering discounts during periods that are now completely booked out like Chinese New Year. With hindsight we should never have offered any discounts on that period...probably should have made it even more expensive to be honest.
I noticed European resorts pretty much double prices over Christmas/New Year whereas here they only go up about 30% on the regular season. There'll certainly be some rethinking of pricing and especially discounting for next season.
Originally Posted By: ippy
har! i had to laugh! 3man! expensive to me is 6,000 yen a night smile I am a natural born scottish cheapskate. smile

Well there is some accomm here for Y4,500 per night with breakfast! See even Scottish cheapskates can afford to stay in Niseko biggrin

where is it?

I actually need some as it happens for the 10th to the 14th feb. Worst fekking time to be going there i know, but thats when my mate in shiz can get up there.

do you know how much those things cost? He better be wearing a cheap knock off! Anyone trashing a pure kilt from the wee kiltie shops from inverness needs a stern talking to about the virtues of thrift!

It's unique in that there has been a large amount of foreign investment into accommodation and other businesses throughout the resort. It's also unique in that most of these businesses rely on the foreign skiing market rather than the domestic one to stay in business.

Land prices have skyrocketed over the last 6 years and accommodation prices in luxury, western-style accomm is not priced to be competitive with Japanese accomm options but to be competitive with pricing at other international skiing destinations.

Certainly no other ski area in Japan quite like Niseko.

I'd expect a whole hotel for 3-man per night!

Seriously, do your research, shop around, plan ahead and Niseko really isn't that expensive, for example next month we've got:

return flights Haneda - Chitose

4 nights accommodation - dinner, bed & breakfast (shared rooms, good hotel a short walk from the base lift at Hirafu)

all mountain lift pass - 5 days

bus transfers Chitose-Niseko

...all for 77,000 Yen per person.

Does anyone really think that's expensive?

There are a few ludicrously overpriced places to stay, but if you're a sufficiently big sucker to stay at one of them, remember - you don't get to ski a different mountain to the one I'm on!

Anyway - enjoy

SdS

Exactly Nisoko. Not everyone out there is looking for the cheapest deal they can find. Many clients I deal with just want the most luxurious place they can get and price is no real concern to them.

skidaisuki is right in that if you look around you'll easily find places to stay that fit just about any budget.

I wouldn't consider people who pay large amounts for luxury 'suckers' though. If that's part of the experience they are after then sure Niseko offers plenty for that end of the market.

Also gotta bear in mind it is cheaper for a family our size (6) to stay in a luxury apartment than it is to stay over 3 hotel rooms (and much more family friendly)...if you are comparing a hotel room to an apartment - big price difference, but 3xhotel rooms to apartment - not so much.

Totally agree, to call people who want some luxury and can afford it "suckers" is just very naive. I wish I was in the position to be able to easily afford such things, sadly I'm not. I would guess for some people the accommodation, the meals, the bars, the whatever-else is a very important part of a ski trip.