Stretching after exercise though is argued has some benefits. In terms of a warmup though you should probably just do a cruisy run or two before pushing yourself to the limits. Although when there's plenty of fresh powder on the ground that can be hard to do!

Stretching after is very beneficial.

The LActic Acid that accumulates in the muscles and causes soreness can be well tamed if you spend a bit of time stretching out and walking around the village at night rather than just crashing into bed.

Same in the AM - stretches are more about the lactic acid from the day before, than the warm up.

At least that is what some rather knowledgeable medical people told me. They could have been havin' a laff at my expense!

Soreness is an issue I never really consider regarding stretching...all about injury for me, anyway, I have read some articles on the studies, but with re-occurring lower back problems over many years I consulted many 'experts' and especially a very good friend who is a physio (PHD) on this topic, he laughed... a lot. Yes there may be some issues that relate to the ability of muscle to function better if not stretched or minor 'tear' injuries occurring FROM stretching/lengthening but you also have the issue that flexibility is also based on reflexes. Then there is Dynamic vs. static etc etc

Quite simply (for me) I have a lack of equilibrium between size strength and flexibility in muscles as well as minor skeletal degeneration then I MUST warm up and stretch to help prevent injury.

Case in point: Ham strings, and glutes are a massive combination of muscles which when acting in concert can exert a significant and overpowering force upon lower back muscles and directly influence the the interaction of those muscles with the the nerves (see sciatica) and spine around that area...

You don't want strong limber muscles overpowering weaker tighter tense muscles - it is simple physics.

If you are a twenty something/yogic guru or so relaxed you live in a tension less zen go for it...

If you are not an elite athlete don't have superior muscular proportionality are over 35 etc stretching will do more good than harm (if any...) the same studies also conclusively confirmed that it does help with arthritis formation in later life, and dispersing lactic acid with in the muscles faster, all good for old and broken folk like this 38yr old knuckle dragger.

groovy

That sounds far too detailed (and possibly beyond what any of us really wanted(or needed to know!) for me!

Suffice to say, as a 49 yo learner, I warmed up about the same as I do now - bugger all!

I'll keep doing this until I can no longer manage to slide with any enjoyment. Then, I might just retreat to the hills around Niigata and become a hermit. Stuff the rest of the world (and don't any of you mob come anywhere near me!)

Originally Posted By: Tex
... and dispersing lactic acid with in the muscles faster, all good for old and broken folk like this 38yr old knuckle dragger.
groovy

Didn't get this far before! 38! Ye gods! What are you doing enjoying yourself? I didn't learn to ski (in fact never strapped on a plank) until I was 49. You've got 11 years to go!

Knuckle dragger? Me no say a thing! rollabout evilgrin

lol clap thumbsup

I had been a hermit for a long time but that's another story.

As for stretching, it's one thing how flexible you are, and another if you just do a little. The problem with people is image fixation. This is very true with Yoga (Iyengar) people, Zen people - the insistence on the correct posture. If you are stiff, just a little stretch will have a similar effect as for someone who is really flexible going for the max. You can over-stretch and hurt yourself.

Another problem is "Instant achievement culture" You got to work up to it, especially with sports. If you are a person who ski or board within limits, it's probably ok just take is like you are going for a walk.( I actually stretch when I take a walk. So some awareness added here )

If you are going for it I'd stretch for injury prevention and performance. But just because you started stretching a few days are not going to make you that. My fingertips couldn't touch the floor when I was 16, and our PE teacher told us he would fail us if we couldn't do it after the summer break. That's how it started for me. Have I aged? yeah, my eyes. I need to grow my arm.

I do my stretching whilst yawning in bed at the end of the day.

Oh, and putting on boots.

Other than that, I try to keep it to a minimum.

Can't get out without a decent breakfast though, I need that.